ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MOT testing recent rules........... emissions! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/130726-mot-testing-recent-rules-emissions.html)

steve McCulloch 12 September 2002 02:19 PM

MOT test book is pretty much all encompassing - it pretty much states that if its a 2 liter turbo then it has to have a test

Now if it was a 22b I think I'd have been sorted

The DVLA in Swansea sort of said the opposite - that if the wrx sti does not show up on the MOT testers system then you can have a Non-Cat test.....! - just as confused!

STi wanna Subaru 12 September 2002 03:17 PM

Small world Steve. If you find out you need the mid section let me know your dads address and i'll drop it off there for you. I'm in no rush to get it back as I wont need it for a few months.

Cheers

Guy

steve McCulloch 12 September 2002 03:27 PM

Thanks again

I'm gonna try the MOT this weekend and if it fails I'll need it pretty sharpish

I've almost persuaded my local garage to do the car on the non-cat test, they said they were gonna confirm with the Vehicle Inspectorate!

Big Bear 12 September 2002 06:06 PM

Steve
I phoned the vehicle inspectorate to get some info on this once , all they said was we'll leave this to the discression(sp?) of the garage , so I told them to test as non cat as the garage couldn't make the decision either .

normarker 12 September 2002 08:48 PM

"What are the penalties for driving without an MOT - other than the difficulty in obtaining a tax disc and the problem is asked to produce all documents (including the MOT)"

It doesn't invalidate your insurance, as far as the law is concerned you have insurance. Don't try a claim though!
You will get a fine and points, I did.

steve McCulloch 13 September 2002 10:04 AM

would I really get points for not having an MOT certificate?

Fine I could'nt care less about

Adam M 13 September 2002 10:11 AM

steve,

I reckon the sti now listed on the site is the new shape sti, and so your car probably isnt actualy on there.

have a look at your V5, if it says subaru 2axle rigid body, then it isnt defined even as an impreza and so it has to meet some 70s emission regulation which it will.

Ask pat about this, he knows the specifics, and you would not be breaking any rules to insist the mot station does everything by the book.

alternative is to buy one through the post.

Most importantly it invalidates your insurance if you dont have one.

Rasher 13 September 2002 06:41 PM

Someone mentioned a Prodrive performance Downpipe with a cat anyone got any further info, cost where to get one from etc?:confused:

Tim Bomford 09 November 2002 03:23 PM

I suggest you get yourself to an MOT test station who will do the MOT as normal but use a donor vehicle if yours doesn't pass the emissions part of the MOT! This is the cheapest option, compared to replacing/swapping pipes around.

I had this arranged for the 22B but it passed the emissions all on its own (very much to my surprise!)

Tim

[Edited by Tim Bomford - 9/11/2002 3:24:15 PM]

steve McCulloch 09 December 2002 12:09 PM

Sti wanna Subaru

Feck... in Mirfield - that'll be a sinch - My Father lives near there...

Thanks

Steve

I'll send a mail.........

[Edited by steve McCulloch - 9/12/2002 12:14:52 PM]

Stuart J 09 December 2002 01:12 PM

Talk to the garage again if you know them well, tell them its an Import & tell them to enter Subaru WRX STI, Dont mention Impreza this worked for me last week on a 96 STI Import as it then qualified for a non cat test (which it still has to pass). Also I believe if its a pre 96 Import it may not need a cat but Im not sure on that

Stuart

[Edited by Stuart J - 9/12/2002 1:14:52 PM]