ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   No joke -> RB5 for less than £10K! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/107528-no-joke-rb5-for-less-than-10k.html)

Contigo 26 June 2002 11:37 PM

Hey I bought my car from ccv and I saw the RB5 today.

Test drove the 18k er and it is a minter. My mate is probably going to take it at some point.

I spoke to Rod the salesman about two weeks ago and he told me about the 10k RB5. It's done a few miles but is in good condition.

You should have heard how much he paid for the motor!

Good buy for the guy in Swindon.

Richard.S 26 June 2002 11:38 PM

Hooray, the man comes forward! Hooj, you bast!!! good for you mate! - 1 question, did you first see it on here or what? And you promise to post pics of it, chassis alignment report, oil sample anaylsis, tyre wear profile... Just enjoy the car mate! :D

Contigo 26 June 2002 11:40 PM

The car was an ex-company car and the guy didn't want a great deal for it.

I think it was priced accordingly and bear in mind that the other motor has been ppp'd.

[Edited by Contigo - 6/26/2002 11:45:37 PM]

hoojchoons 26 June 2002 11:45 PM

Richard - sorry forgot to thank you - I owe you a huge pint for posting it on here :)

JamieMacdonald 27 June 2002 12:40 AM

Nice one hooj! That's the same price I paid for my MY97 in August, mind you it had only done 44K miles.
I'd love to get a special edition, but would I end up paying more on insurance premiums though?

J

Richard.S 07 July 2002 02:39 PM

Hooj,

What was wrong with it? seems like you used it 83 miles and gave it back?!

see: http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=111064

hoojchoons 07 July 2002 09:01 PM

You guys must be wondering about this RB5 - here's the story. I've been watching ScoobyNet carefully for the past 6 months getting clued up on the highs and lows of owning a scoob turbo. Finally, a few weeks ago armed with my knowledge I was in a position to buy 1. I was working on a 10k budget, so imagine my surprise when an RB5 fell into that price bracket! When I got up to CCV to check it out, it was as they recieved it a few days earlier (not even cleaned) so from my point I could see it 'as is' instead of a car thats had a quick dealer cover-up/tweaking on any potential probs. It was a good one - no dings, just stonechips and slightly scuffed wheels being the only minor let down. Oh yeah and that intergalactic mileage. My line of thinking was our annual mileage covered is low and we would keep the car for 5 years (over that time the cars mileage would become 'average mileage'). I wasn't worried about turbo going pop or other failure - it had full service history and came with 12 months warranty to cover the big stuff - and lets face it, these cars are pretty reliable when left unmolested. Also the Scoob warranty only ran out 3 weeks ago so if there were any probs I'm sure they would have been sorted. I don't think it's had a hard life - 79,000 miles in 3 years is motorway munching (I know if I were doing those sort of miles in a scoob my driving licence would be colourful!) It was owned by a 40'ish' year old company director who chopped it in for a new WRX. Test drove it and it did the biz, interior was mint - ciggy lighter hadn't even been used. Drove just as good as a 10k 2 year old scoob I drove for comparison.
So why the hell did I buy bargain of the year then cancel the deal? Basically I'm building my own house and in between buying the car and picking it up some big oppurtunities came up that will dramatically change the build project (& budget!). I did think about still buying the car and selling at the end of the summer but this house project means too much- I run the risk of losing money on this motor (it would only take 1 idiot to sideswipe it and it ends up rebuilt with HPI history to make it difficult to sell). Nor did I want the hassle of dealing with test pilots & tyre kickers when I put it up for sale. Sounds a bit over cautious u might think but at the end of the day there are many scoobs out there but I'm only gonna have 1 oppurtunity to build this house and I want to get it right first time.
Gutted? Yeah but hey, house comes 1st - in the meantime I'll just have to keep blowing up my 1.9 pug on a regular basis!! So who ever buys it - enjoy! My only advice would be is buy it ONLY if you're planning to hold on to it for a while.

Cheers!

Hoojchoons

Richard.S 07 July 2002 11:33 PM

Hooj, respect to you for giving us the full SP! Didn't really mean for you to have to spill the beans in such detail but I'm sure some of us have appreciated it! It's food for thought...

Good luck with the house thing, roof over your head - that takes priority everytime.

What a sensible chap! :)

hoojchoons 08 July 2002 04:54 PM

Sensible? Dunno about that Rich - I'm still driving a high mileage Pug that spits bits of engine at people every time I give it some stick!!! :)

Andy Tang 08 July 2002 06:00 PM

I don't think the sales forum is the place for this sort of discussion. I will move it to General for a wider audience.

Dream Weaver 08 July 2002 06:54 PM

Hooj

Feel for you - I feel as gutted also. CCV rang me the other day (presumably after you cancelled) but luckily I missed the call (1471) or I would have ended up buying it.

I need to save for the wedding next year :)

Good luck with the house.

Simon