ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   STOLEN!!!!! Abarth 500 (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1067279-stolen-abarth-500-a.html)

NOSSY_89 06 January 2023 12:04 PM

Hind sight is 20/20. No one has ever batted an eye lid. Mine was one of at least 2 abarths taken in the area. The other was at a dealership.

forgedmarco 06 January 2023 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12128266)
Brum/Mids is going through a mega phase at the moment. Worse than usual IMO.

My cousin's BMW was taken from a cul de sac. They knew exactly where the car was, jumped in and drive off with 15seconds. Key was at the back of the house so it wasn't a relay device.

Key must have been cloned or they gained entry via hacking the BMW online system (where you can unlock your car with a phone app). They knew the car's location so either sneaked on a magnetic tracker when it was parked elsewhere (shopping centre etc.). Or gained the cars location via the online app.

Probably stripped down now with its parts in a container heading to eastern Europe. The days of the Alum Rock/Bordesley chop shops where you'd probably find parts of your car for sale are long over, they're a global operation now.

Need a ghost fitted then they aren't going anywhere, unless they break in for the keys :(

hedgecutter 06 January 2023 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89 (Post 12128332)
Hind sight is 20/20. No one has ever batted an eye lid. Mine was one of at least 2 abarths taken in the area. The other was at a dealership.

Those Abarths must be a popular heist from dealerships as I saw a grey one t-pac'd by about 5 cop cars down here 2 years ago, with most of the rozzers sat on top of the fella on a roundabout.....but then again they've got sweet fa to do in West Cornwall as car crime is very low. Probably more used to rounding up livestock and dealing with scraping up the wasters who walk home along the main roads at night.

ALi-B 07 January 2023 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by forgedmarco (Post 12128336)
Need a ghost fitted then they aren't going anywhere, unless they break in for the keys :(

Not really a fan of Ghosts as they can interfere with the vehicle's own diagnostics making it real pain in the arse to work on unless removed. Especially if the car is presented with CAN bus errors or ECUs not going into sleep state and causing battery drain or other weird and wonderful glitches.

Plus as it's invisible, thiefs will still attempt to steel the car.

So my recommendation is physical and visible security over electronic, which is the good 'ol disc-lock or wheel clamp.

Norman Dog 19 January 2023 08:22 PM

What was the outcome of this, did the insurance company write the car off? :wonder:

NOSSY_89 20 January 2023 09:00 AM

Still assessing mate. Haven't heard back from them other than its at co part and there were no personal items left in the car.

NOSSY_89 06 February 2023 02:29 PM

Insurance have agreed its a total loss write off, settlement figure agreed now.

silver-sub 06 February 2023 03:34 PM

What a nightmare you been through, but at least you got paid out.