ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Anybody run budget tyres? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/1043871-anybody-run-budget-tyres.html)

ditchmyster 07 December 2016 08:02 AM

I've had a set of rain max too, they're ok at normal driving and good in the wet as you'd expect, but it's very easy to find their limit of grip when you start going a bit faster, which has it's pro's and cons.

I've gone off Toyo's they were good 10yrs ago (things have moved on) for the money but I'd take the Falken 452 over them every time as an all round package the Falkens are better, the newer Falken 453's get good reviews and are apparently better, I would take the Momo M3 above the Falkens and just about any other tyre Iv'e ever had, which includes the older Goodyear F1's had them on my Lexus IS200 a few years back and they were a good all-round tyre but the Momo M3 have them hands down in the dry.

S3LDM 08 December 2016 10:07 AM

I have been running Falken 452's for the last 4 years and to be honest I have found they perform very well.... However looking to try something else next for a change :)

Hawkeye STI running 360bhp

Here is some interesting reading for you ;)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Si...0-18-Tyres.htm

gazzawrx 08 December 2016 07:48 PM

Rainsport 3s are descent on the missus pug 207, ive drove the car in heavy rain and they were spot on.

I run eagle f1s on my blob sti and rate them massively, in wet or dry weather.

jf12345 08 December 2016 07:50 PM

thanks for the reply chaps, the answers are pretty much as i expect, he decided to go with 4 riken snowtime winter (made by michelin) to see him through the winter £200 and then when the better weather comes hes opted for the vredestein ultrac sessanta he'll have some money by then.

ALi-B i can't believe those tyres its quite shocking really, are tyres ONLY tested brand new and not part worn?

i actually remember haveing those tyres on a old 1.2 vauxhall corsa gripped like a tyre should untill half way down and then out of no where started understeering all the time in the damp with 70bhp at like 30mph lol i didn't mind, made driving that old piece of sh*t a little bit livley :lol1:

totally agree research is the key my mate thought there might have been a rose between the thorns regarding budgets :thumb:

Vxr2010 11 December 2016 04:45 AM

budget tyres are a false economy , they won't last as long , you won't stop as well , it could even be a insurance cover issue as not up to spec , how is it going to help you even if you don't punt the car , to avoid an idiot pulling out in front of you , i did budget once and bought new better ones a week later , kuhmos ku39 are good but many makes are ok but don't do budget or your chances of it going wrong go up a lot

ditchmyster 11 December 2016 08:24 AM

I think most people see budget tyres as anything under 80/100 quid a corner, the tyres you describe sound more like 30 quid a corner. I have had a few sets of Falken now which are made in Japan where they do actually need them to work, I've had them on a Classic type r running 330bhp, a newage with PPP and now winters on a Golf diesel in the mountains, I also had Pirelli sotto zeros, which are a premium brand on the newage in the mountains and to be fair they're not any better than the Falkens I have at the moment, which get good reviews in all sizes.

As mentioned earlier, you can buy tyres that are cheaper than the premium brands that are still good, you just need to do your research.:thumb:

nikon-man 11 December 2016 09:31 AM

personally i will never look at Kumho tyres and i will tell you why.

I worked may years covering the BMW championship in this country and they ran on Kumho tyres which made them the quickest saloon championship running on road legal tyres and all of the cars used the same compound of tyre..okay they were rear wheel drive but the amount of tyres I used to see that had shredded or even delaminated and it was a mixtures of coming off the front or the rear of the car so driving wheels or not same issues.... even kumho couldn't figure out what the problem was and why some tyres done it and not others etc !!!

maybe on a Subaru they would react completely different but when you have seen what happens in the flesh so to speak and not just hear say or the like you do get a completely different perspective of things.

RAGGY DOO 11 December 2016 01:18 PM

Bridgestone for me

JDM_Stig 11 December 2016 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by nikon-man (Post 11902664)
personally i will never look at Kumho tyres and i will tell you why.

I worked may years covering the BMW championship in this country and they ran on Kumho tyres which made them the quickest saloon championship running on road legal tyres and all of the cars used the same compound of tyre..okay they were rear wheel drive but the amount of tyres I used to see that had shredded or even delaminated and it was a mixtures of coming off the front or the rear of the car so driving wheels or not same issues.... even kumho couldn't figure out what the problem was and why some tyres done it and not others etc !!!

maybe on a Subaru they would react completely different but when you have seen what happens in the flesh so to speak and not just hear say or the like you do get a completely different perspective of things.

Answered the issue yourself,
Road tyres just arent designed to take the higher heat levels that you generate on a track,they are designed to work over a big temp window, unlike a proper race tyre,
I can cook road tyres of any make in a few laps, some F1`s almost melted within a few laps of Donny.

JGlanzaV 11 December 2016 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11902714)
Answered the issue yourself,
Road tyres just arent designed to take the higher heat levels that you generate on a track,they are designed to work over a big temp window, unlike a proper race tyre,
I can cook road tyres of any make in a few laps, some F1`s almost melted within a few laps of Donny.

THIS.

Hardly a reason to not use Kumho. They were not designed flr that use. what did you expect to happen?

I cooked my Toyos before the end lf 1 lap of coombe and I wasnt exactly tanking it!

Vxr2010 11 December 2016 04:36 PM

the kuhmos ku39 are a good sensibly priced tyre , the vredestein sessenta and like range are good , the site ..tyre reviews.. is a good place to see what is liked and not liked , the tyre people i use say from customers and themselves it's a good all round tyre , the michelin pilot super sorts are supposed to be the bees knees but they are expensive and i can't justify spending that much , and i agree with stigs comment , road tyre are not great on a track i melted a set of goodyear tyres gs3 ?? from memory in about 30 mins and the tyre were in very good nick before i started the track day

Gsi Jay 11 December 2016 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vxr2010 (Post 11902753)
the kuhmos ku39 are a good sensibly priced tyre , the vredestein sessenta and like range are good , the site ..tyre reviews.. is a good place to see what is liked and not liked , the tyre people i use say from customers and themselves it's a good all round tyre , the michelin pilot super sorts are supposed to be the bees knees but they are expensive and i can't justify spending that much , and i agree with stigs comment , road tyre are not great on a track i melted a set of goodyear tyres gs3 ?? from memory in about 30 mins and the tyre were in very good nick before i started the track day

I've got pilot super sports on my m135i and I know it's not really fair comparing a rear wheel drive car against an and Impreza but I find the Goodyear f1 2's better in the wet by a good way and only just short of the super sports in the dry.

ScottyPPP 12 December 2016 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11900865)
I had T1R's fitted [on my blob wrx] and in the dry they were great, but in wet roads they were poor. They get good reviews from the lighter classics, but poor reviews from heavier newage drivers

I've got them on my Blob at the moment. They're frankly awful in the wet. Cannot put the power down at all and slide all over the place. Fun though :lol1:

BoozyDave 12 December 2016 09:46 PM

:lol1:

They were fitted to my last blob when I bought it, I hadn't had it long and I went round a big, damp roundabout at 40mph and I was sliding sideways :eek:, I thought to myself "I can go around this roundabout faster and in better control in my work van, I wonder if Colin Mcrea could win the champinship again if I let him borrow my work van!"

ditchmyster 13 December 2016 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11903016)

They were fitted to my last blob when I bought it, I hadn't had it long and I went round a big, damp roundabout at 40mph and I was sliding sideways :eek:, I thought to myself "I can go around this roundabout faster and in better control in my work van, I wonder if Colin Mcrea could win the champinship again if I let him borrow my work van!"

I think they'll have to dig him up and scrape off all the burnt bits (like you do with toast) first, but who knows, stranger things have happened. :thumb:

joz8968 13 December 2016 12:37 PM

Very, ahem, black. :Suspiciou

JGlanzaV 13 December 2016 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11903036)
I think they'll have to dig him up and scrape off all the burnt bits (like you do with toast) first, but who knows, stranger things have happened. :thumb:

:lol1::D

ScottyPPP 13 December 2016 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoozyDave (Post 11903016)

They came on a set of alloys I bought and were virtually new. I'm trying to wear them out but I think they're made from recycled lego bricks :lol1:

salsa-king 13 December 2016 05:00 PM

as I'm looking for four 19"s for next year. I'm not spending £270 a corner.

Why are some tyres over the £200 price have the same Ratings as a tyre half the price. Surely they will be as good as each other.. is it just brand snobbery?

Won't an Avon or a Uniroyal (both well known brands) at just under £100 a corner be as good as the Michelin's at twice the price?

The Trooper 1815 13 December 2016 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by ditchmyster (Post 11902655)
I think most people see budget tyres as anything under 80/100 quid a corner, the tyres you describe sound more like 30 quid a corner. I have had a few sets of Falken now which are made in Japan where they do actually need them to work, I've had them on a Classic type r running 330bhp, a newage with PPP and now winters on a Golf diesel in the mountains, I also had Pirelli sotto zeros, which are a premium brand on the newage in the mountains and to be fair they're not any better than the Falkens I have at the moment, which get good reviews in all sizes.

As mentioned earlier, you can buy tyres that are cheaper than the premium brands that are still good, you just need to do your research.:thumb:

FALKEN is the European Subsidiary of Sumitomo Rubber. All tyres are made in Offenbach Am Main and have been since 1988, not Japan.

The Trooper 1815 13 December 2016 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by salsa-king (Post 11903143)
as I'm looking for four 19"s for next year. I'm not spending £270 a corner.

Why are some tyres over the £200 price have the same Ratings as a tyre half the price. Surely they will be as good as each other.. is it just brand snobbery?

Won't an Avon or a Uniroyal (both well known brands) at just under £100 a corner be as good as the Michelin's at twice the price?

Michelin 19's are less than £200 a corner at COSTCO, they should have the 4 for the price of 3 deals again soon.

:luvlove:

salsa-king 13 December 2016 06:00 PM

they only list Goodyears in 19s though

matieboy 13 December 2016 07:07 PM

Made by Michelin lol I do love a bit of salesman b*llsh*t Riken are made by Kormoran who are licensed by Michelin and that's as far as the connection goes as I tell my customers budgets are Rubbish end of there are no good and bad most of them come from the same factory in China anyway and are just branded with different names.

Mark10sti 14 December 2016 10:38 AM

Kingsmill make Morrisons value bread and it is not a patch on proper kingsmill, made by Michelin tyres most likely use a cheaper compound of rubber to allow the cost to come down!!

BoozyDave 14 December 2016 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mark10sti (Post 11903325)
Kingsmill make Morrisons value bread and it is not a patch on proper kingsmill, made by Michelin tyres most likely use a cheaper compound of rubber to allow the cost to come down!!

:thumb:

I have worked in the 'real yorkshire pudding' factory (Electrical inspection and testing) and they make puds for Tesco, Morrisons, catering bulk bags and Waitrose. All have their own recipe and different ingredients. I was given as many puds as I wanted :luvlove:. The best ones I had were Waitrose with beef dripping :luvlove::luvlove::luvlove:

The catering bulk puds were no where near as good :lol1: