ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   This fitness/weight loss game...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1037684-this-fitness-weight-loss-game.html)

JackClark 28 April 2016 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by LSherratt (Post 11826411)
My lunch :) Left over Chinese from last night :thumb:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...bac42a8a1.jpeg

Farming will burn that off no problem, semi-retired office chair dwellers not so much.

dpb 28 April 2016 01:57 PM

I can see the logic Mart diet - you don't nee the calories before bedtime

I reckon he must commute between his lounge and home office however

alcazar 28 April 2016 05:51 PM

Lots of empty carbs there Jack?

JackClark 28 April 2016 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 11826547)
Lots of empty carbs there Jack?

Definitely need to work on my carb game. I don't notice it right now as I only go out for an hour maybe two but I'll suffer later as I increase my range.

alcazar 28 April 2016 07:21 PM

I've watched some stuff that said to avoid potatoes, white bread and white rice, as empty carbs, which the body stores as fat.

I've tried to eat wholemeal bread, seed bread etc, brown rice, and so far, one baked potato. Not had noodles yet, but I do quite like super-noodles, LOL.

mart360 28 April 2016 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11826246)
I'm a bit surprised you had energy to do anything at all Mart, that's 600 cals a day net !

Indeed, but the remaining 1800 are coming from the fat store i'm carrying around my middle ;)

I;m not saying its perfect, but it works for me.

Mart

alcazar 29 April 2016 09:44 AM

Went again last night, up to two a week now.

Last night was five squats, five leg lifts and five press-ups, per minute, repeated for twenty minutes. I broke sweat this time, but wasn't gasping.

We always warm up and warm down too, the jogging makes my heart rate go up a bit:D

Still only lost 4lb.

SJ_Skyline 29 April 2016 09:55 AM

My weight and body fat spiked over Christmas last year, heavier than I've ever been despite quite an intense regimen of exercise (running 2-3 times a week; biking/ spinning 2-3 times a week burning 5k-6k calories a week through exercise alone). At 6'1", my weight was around 78kg and body fat was about 18%

I changed my diet moderately, I cut out the biscuits and doughnuts that were 3-4 times a week and replaced them with having a proper cereal breakfast every day (I was a serial cereal skipper).

I've also included early morning swimming in the regimen, 2-3 times a week covering 80x25m and kept up with the running and biking.

Weight is now down and holding around 71kg-72kg, body fat seems pretty stable at around 8%, the downside is I'm permanently hungry and always cold! It's a double edged sword I guess...

You've got to go in for the long term Alcazar, the day on day comparison is affected by what you eat the day before. Stuff yourself with a bucket of KFC and you'll see your weight and body fat rocket the following day, equally if you starve yourself then your body will go into a conservation mode and you won't lose much either.

andy97 29 April 2016 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11826862)
My weight and body fat spiked over Christmas last year, heavier than I've ever been despite quite an intense regimen of exercise (running 2-3 times a week; biking/ spinning 2-3 times a week burning 5k-6k calories a week through exercise alone). At 6'1", my weight was around 78kg and body fat was about 18%

I changed my diet moderately, I cut out the biscuits and doughnuts that were 3-4 times a week and replaced them with having a proper cereal breakfast every day (I was a serial cereal skipper).

I've also included early morning swimming in the regimen, 2-3 times a week covering 80x25m and kept up with the running and biking.

Weight is now down and holding around 71kg-72kg, body fat seems pretty stable at around 8%, the downside is I'm permanently hungry and always cold! It's a double edged sword I guess...

You've got to go in for the long term Alcazar, the day on day comparison is affected by what you eat the day before. Stuff yourself with a bucket of KFC and you'll see your weight and body fat rocket the following day, equally if you starve yourself then your body will go into a conservation mode and you won't lose much either.

11stone 4lb for 6'1" you must be like a twig, I weigh 15st7lb at 6', muscular build, not huge though:D

banny sti 29 April 2016 11:55 AM

At 15 7 muscle you should be huge!

andy97 29 April 2016 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by banny sti (Post 11826895)
At 15 7 muscle you should be huge!

Well I have a 48" chest 38" waist. So compared to an average chap quite big, but I don't carry the muscle mass I had when I was in my 20s. Have a flat stomach though

SJ_Skyline 29 April 2016 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11826889)
11stone 4lb for 6'1" you must be like a twig, I weigh 15st7lb at 6', muscular build, not huge though:D

LOL, I wouldn't say a twig but I would say fairly lean. Shaping up nicely for triathlon season. :)

njkmrs 29 April 2016 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline (Post 11826903)
LOL, I wouldn't say a twig but I would say fairly lean. Shaping up nicely for triathlon season. :)

Are you Matty in disguise ..!!!:Suspiciou

alcazar 03 May 2016 09:09 AM

Still eating lightly, still hardly any alcohol, now exercising twice weekly....and still only lost 4.5lbs.:( :( :(

wayne9t9 03 May 2016 09:22 AM

4.5lbs is 4.5lbs in the right direction. Keep it up and you`ll get there.

dpb 03 May 2016 09:24 AM

That's 2kg ! id be happy with that myself .

Also you may be swopping round fat for muscle !

EddScott 03 May 2016 09:48 AM

I'm not doing very well with weight loss at the moment.

I'm 5'8 and will be 39 next month. Last time I weighed myself I was 80Kg :( and it's pretty much all in my gut. My frame overall is quite thin so a gut on me is terrible.

I've been going to the gym pretty much every other day since March. Up till now I start on the rower and then free weights although I've mostly only really focused on chest and arms. I've been given a couple of routines which I'm going to add into my current routine this week.

Eating wise I've cut out biscuits and sweets. No sugar in tea and coffee. Have a little porridge on the morning. Apple, banana and a cereal bar at 11ish. Yogurt, apple, banana, cereal bar for lunch and then a meal in the evening - I have two kids and on my own so although I cook every night it's quick easy stuff so quite a bit of pasta, rice etc. Steak and jacket with salad is on the menu for this evening. I do keep my servings to a minimum.

Been like this for over a month and have seen weight gain rather than loss. So my arms and chest are a little bigger but so it would seem is my stomach.

andy97 03 May 2016 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by EddScott (Post 11828356)
I'm not doing very well with weight loss at the moment.

I'm 5'8 and will be 39 next month. Last time I weighed myself I was 80Kg :( and it's pretty much all in my gut. My frame overall is quite thin so a gut on me is terrible.

I've been going to the gym pretty much every other day since March. Up till now I start on the rower and then free weights although I've mostly only really focused on chest and arms. I've been given a couple of routines which I'm going to add into my current routine this week.

Eating wise I've cut out biscuits and sweets. No sugar in tea and coffee. Have a little porridge on the morning. Apple, banana and a cereal bar at 11ish. Yogurt, apple, banana, cereal bar for lunch and then a meal in the evening - I have two kids and on my own so although I cook every night it's quick easy stuff so quite a bit of pasta, rice etc. Steak and jacket with salad is on the menu for this evening. I do keep my servings to a minimum.

Been like this for over a month and have seen weight gain rather than loss. So my arms and chest are a little bigger but so it would seem is my stomach.

Looks like too many calories going in compared to being burnt. Your workout needs to be high repetitions and little rest between exercises to elevate metabolism. Do more cardio if possible.

Drop the cereal bars and one banana, mid morning and lunch. Eat a small sandwich or soup with a little bread. Evening meal have fish or chicken with salad, no or little carbs. drink water before each meal.

ditchmyster 09 May 2016 07:51 PM

LOL at you lot, I'm 5'11" and 87kg at the moment, which is about alarm time, or it would be if I'd not spent the last couple of months cutting wood, planting potatoes and generally humping rocks about the place. I think I have swapped about 5kg of fat for around 10kg of muscle in the last 3 months, still have a bit of a gut though, mostly because I love beer, white bread, white rice and potatoes, good thing is though if I cut out the beer and bread for 10/15 days my stomach goes pretty flat, my legs have put on a fair bit of muscle during that time as has my upper body.

Best advice I can give as an older chap is lots of reasonably fast walking 10km a day does it for me, it's low impact on old bones and by keeping myself at around the 120bpm mark I burn fat, have very good heart lung fitness, plenty of stamina and the graft takes care of my physic when I lay off the beer.

I also do a bit of stretching, kick bag and punch ball work just because I like it and it gets my heart beating nicely, green tea and lots of water, generally don't worry too much about diet as I eat really healthy and stay off the sweet stuff and consume as little salt as possible.

dpb 09 May 2016 09:20 PM

get a iwatch Jeff , itll not only free you up the burden carrying round all that silver but itll also tell you how many steps you should have taken since your last pint

alcazar 10 May 2016 04:10 PM

Well, I'm now down 6lbs. At the weekend, despite more alcohol and bigger meals, it was 7.5lbs. Smaller meals and less alcohol has put 1.5lbs back ON!!!:mad:

Added to that, I have very loose motions now, whether or not I eat fruit.....

andy97 10 May 2016 06:08 PM

1.5lb is trivial, variations throughout the day can affect that. You have lost 1/2 stone, so should start to see a change in your shape. Try a little extra roughage/bran to aid digestion. Everything should settle down given time.

JackClark 11 May 2016 08:55 AM

I just lost 1.5lb in about 3 minutes.

alcazar 11 May 2016 09:51 AM

Went again last night, killing workout, the guy who runs it for us is an ex-Para PT trainer.

Down another 3/4 lb this morning, but he's given me a load of stuff to check out about reverse dieting and metabolic damage.

And I still have the runs.

dpb 11 May 2016 10:24 AM

Runnings good for you !

SJ_Skyline 11 May 2016 11:17 AM

You have the runs and you've only lost 3/4lb? Sounds more like a trickle. ;)

Seriously though, stick with it mate you're only just starting to see the results. :thumb:

banny sti 11 May 2016 11:38 AM

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

SouthWalesSam 11 May 2016 11:43 AM

It's progress, Alcazar.
Stay with it! :thumb:

malevolent_sti 11 May 2016 12:21 PM

Stick with it, big differences take big time.

Your weight isn't a good gauge of your progress either, with your new found HITT classes and other working out you will add some muscle, and muscle carries more weight than the fat it's burnt off.
In the early stages of training your weight will not change that much, but your fat % will start to drop. As mentioned already, if you're in a negative calorie deficit you can only lose weight.

alcazar 11 May 2016 12:22 PM

It's progress OK, but the liquid motions and cramps before I go in the morning, worry me. Too much fruit, or fruit juice? Not enough carbs?