ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Can't get rid of B3stard clunking noise. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/1036209-cant-get-rid-of-b3stard-clunking-noise.html)

Gambit 21 March 2016 02:37 PM

ball joint

ezesti330s 21 March 2016 05:40 PM

Brake caliper bolts loose ?? Worth a try

WRX_Wagon 21 March 2016 06:17 PM

It sounds to me as though it may be a ball joint. Sometimes the play cannot be detected by pushing and pulling but certain load situations cause the noise. Hope you get it sorted.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 09:11 AM

My Wagon is in the garage now getting looked at by someone who knows what they're doing.
Frustratingly, having driven the car to the coast and back at the weekend, with two adults, two children and a load of luggage the knocking noise seems to have reduced.
I bumped into the east coast mini club and joined them for a spirited drive on the way back. Perhaps that cured it.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 07:23 PM

So with the help of a garage the following is eliminated:
ARBs and drop links.
Wishbones
Ball joints
All suspension bushes and components
Brake calipers
Engine mounts
C/U frame and bolts
All bolts holding the coilovers to the car.
The cv joints have had an inspection on the car and found to be in good condition.
In addition the garage (revivals in thriplow) has re-torqued all the bolts related to the above and greased where necessary.
Noise is still there. But car feels much tighter.
So we can't find anything wrong or anything that would get worse. Time to accept a 10 year old car with hard suspension will have a few knocks and rattles? Or throw more money at it?

mickywrx 30 March 2016 07:40 PM

Front subframe straight and undamaged? Could be the track rod end catching the ARB, if the ARB mount has been squashed.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11815181)
Front subframe straight and undamaged? Could be the track rod end catching the ARB, if the ARB mount has been squashed.

Not that I can see.
The noise is quite specific, harsh bumps at low speed. Quieter as i speed up and nothing noticable once over 25mph. It doesn't make any difference if I'm cornering, power on or power off. It's not a huge noise, more of a subtle ker-lunk as I hit a pothole. It's a noise that you only notice once it's pointed out then you can't ignore. Which makes it really annoying.

mickywrx 30 March 2016 09:04 PM

Stop hitting potholes, problem solved. :thumb:

JDM_Stig 30 March 2016 09:08 PM

are you sure its the front ? and not just the jack rattling in the boot.

scoobypaul_temp 30 March 2016 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11815225)
Stop hitting potholes, problem solved. :thumb:

:lol:

Or only hit them at high speed :thumb:

ScottyPPP 30 March 2016 09:34 PM

Mine is doing the same at the moment on the front passenger side. Fairly sure its one of the CV joints on the shaft. It was also doing it on the drivers side, but I replaced the shaft at the end of last year and the noise stopped.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig (Post 11815229)
are you sure its the front ? and not just the jack rattling in the boot.

Trust me, I've taken out everything that isn't bolted down. I've even duct-taped the bonnet strut in place in case it was that.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by scoobypaul_temp (Post 11815230)
:lol:

Or only hit them at high speed :thumb:

My working solution so far is to drive it like I stole it and when that isn't possible, turn the stereo up.
However, I'm no legal expert but I'm fairly sure that a defense of "I was driving like that to stop it rattling officer" isn't going to get me far.

Cambs_Stuart 30 March 2016 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyPPP (Post 11815248)
Mine is doing the same at the moment on the front passenger side. Fairly sure its one of the CV joints on the shaft. It was also doing it on the drivers side, but I replaced the shaft at the end of last year and the noise stopped.

The cv joints are one of the last possibilities.

mickywrx 31 March 2016 06:56 PM

CV's tend to click when they are fubar'd, not knock.

ScottyPPP 02 April 2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by mickywrx (Post 11815540)
CV's tend to click when they are fubar'd, not knock.

Depends if its the inner or outer joint.

Gavscooby1 02 April 2016 06:00 PM

I would check ball joint yourself not difficult to do. Jack up car and get a bar in between bottom arm and where the ball joint goes in to bottom of suspension unit. Give it is wiggle up and down and check for movement.

Cambs_Stuart 03 April 2016 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gavscooby1 (Post 11816290)
I would check ball joint yourself not difficult to do. Jack up car and get a bar in between bottom arm and where the ball joint goes in to bottom of suspension unit. Give it is wiggle up and down and check for movement.

I'm sat on the sofa with two small ill children watching cars 2, but I'll give it a go when I can get back to the car. Thanks for the advice. I'm out of ideas so all hints and tips welcome.

Cambs_Stuart 16 July 2016 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by domino46 (Post 11810210)
Sounds like a ARB issue to me ,, my advice is remove the whole ARB set up and drive carfully down the pot hole road and see if it stops if it stops you know it's a issue with the roll bar if it's still there with it removed you can look elsewhere , as I had the same problem , bushes looked new but after swapping them it was fine ,, done everything else first as they looked ok but lesson learned was don't assume there good as it could of saved a fortune in new parts including new suspension

Bang on. It's having a service with Tim Farmer now and he spotted some play in the front ARB bushes. I can't believe this has been going on since April.
Now I just need to remove the brace to get at the nuts to change the bushes...

Cambs_Stuart 31 July 2016 10:29 PM

Arb bushes replaced with super pro poly. The hole in the front passengers side bush was egg shaped, hence the rattling.
All sorted now. Thanks for all the suggestions and credit to Tim Farmer for sorting it out.