ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chris Evans for TG (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026007-chris-evans-for-tg.html)

Funkii Munkii 17 June 2015 02:13 PM

It will be interesting to see how much the format changes and i'm sure it will massively.

No issue with Evans, he should introduce the "Billy" concept from his Radio London days ;), he loves his cars and wont fanny about, always found Plato rather annoying even moreso after Tfi last Friday. Maybe he'll have a wingman and weekly guests to co host.

I'll miss May and Clarkson and the TG specials which were always the highlight for me plus the films within the episodes, as many others have said the scripted stuff in between was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Geezer 17 June 2015 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 11698310)
Only Fools without Del Boy and Rodney
Allo Allo without Rene
Dad's Army without Captain Mainwaring
The Italian Job without Michael Caine
Top Gear without Clarkson.
Yeh, could work..

Or, how about Doctor Who without William Hartnell.
Imagine Doctor Who without Patrick Troughton
Imagine Doctor Who without Jon Pertwee etc etc etc

Sometimes it's hard to see how stuff will carry on, but sometimes they can work out better (let's not mention Sylvester McCoy's doctor though ;) )

dpb 17 June 2015 04:03 PM

Could easy turn into the one show :( , or womens hour

stevebt 17 June 2015 04:10 PM

Isn't Evans friends with Clarkson? So maybe he will still have some input in what they should do :)

BL08 EYE 17 June 2015 05:06 PM

Will there be a STIG if Jason Plato joins the team

scoobyskool 17 June 2015 05:59 PM

evans a petrolhead ? can that be said of someone who thinks moggy minors are cool and great to run around in or of anyone that paints their ferrari collection white to match the piano in their garage ?

look forward to watching jc and crew when they restart wherever ,,, cant really stand chris evans so fairly certain ill be one less viewer for his version

ALi-B 17 June 2015 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 11698418)
Or, how about Doctor Who without William Hartnell.
Imagine Doctor Who without Patrick Troughton
Imagine Doctor Who without Jon Pertwee etc etc etc

Sometimes it's hard to see how stuff will carry on, but sometimes they can work out better (let's not mention Sylvester McCoy's doctor though ;) )

Thing is, all these programs listed (inlcuding fools and horses etc) were all done by actors.

TG was done primarily by motoring journalists. Actors are replacable, and on that premise; Motoring journalists technically should be replaced with motoring journalists.

I don't know what you could class Evans as?

I wonder what Anothony FFrench-Constant would be like on telly? Granted he does play second fiddle to Clarkson.

Brun 17 June 2015 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyskool (Post 11698477)
evans a petrolhead ? can that be said of someone who thinks moggy minors are cool and great to run around in or of anyone that paints their ferrari collection white to match the piano in their garage ?

look forward to watching jc and crew when they restart wherever ,,, cant really stand chris evans so fairly certain ill be one less viewer for his version

I think someone who is prepared to spend £12m on a single car could be described as a petrolhead!

Edmondo 17 June 2015 06:54 PM

I like Evans as a Radio 2 DJ but sorry Clarkson, Hammond and May are Top Gear....I will watch the first one to see what it is like but it will not get half the viewers that C,H & M did.

WRXrowdy 17 June 2015 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11698482)
Thing is, all these programs listed (inlcuding fools and horses etc) were all done by actors.

TG was done primarily by motoring journalists. Actors are replacable, and on that premise; Motoring journalists technically should be replaced with motoring journalists.

I wonder what Anothony FFrench-Constant would be like on telly? Granted he does play second fiddle to Clarkson.

Not just the fact that the program's listed were played by actors, but they are dramas, or comedies that a viewer watches for the story line. Although TG is a fact based show, it has largely turned into three blokes cocking about, and that is why a lot of viewers tuned in.
If we are going to compare it to a sit com, then the closest thing to TG surely is Last of the summer wine.
What happened to that program, after the three main characters were not involved, and replaced by Russ Abbott, the show was canned after one season (I think, although I am not a Last of the summer wine fan but I think this is the case).

Nothing against Chris Evans, I used to think he was a bit of a knob, but he has become less irritating, I don't mind listening to him on the radio in the mornings and he is into his cars, but he has said that he will not give up the radio 2 breakfast show. Therefore Top Gear will by default be playing second fiddle to his radio show.
Top Gear was Clarksons passion, his baby. It deserved his complete attention.
That is why it became the show it did, until recently.

Unfortunately, I can see Chris Evans becoming Top Gears Russ Abbott.

BTW, 28th June for those that want to see TG in its final, current form :thumb:

Dirk Diggler 75 17 June 2015 07:39 PM

You never know,it might be alright,just not keen on Plato ......

WRXrowdy 17 June 2015 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11698542)

It may well be 'alright' but that is not why 350million people watch it.

gazzawrx 17 June 2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11698221)
Funny to see all these rose tinted views from people that constantly slagged off the last series. And the one before that...

Only retards start a sentence with the word AND after a full stop:hjtwofing

hodgy0_2 17 June 2015 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11698482)

it was big news when Des Lynam left MOTD

we had the "never the same againers", as with Deayton and HIGNFU, Question Time with Robin Day, Mastermind with Magnus Magnusson, Lamaar on nmtbc

and also it might just be that the chemistry was not solely "Clarkson" (and the other two)

it may have been - Clarkson (and the other two) and the BBC

Clarkson (and the other two) may well flop on anther channel

Morcambe and Wise could do no wrong on BBC - totally bombed on ITV

I can't quite imagine Clarkson saying "after the break"

jonc 17 June 2015 08:41 PM

I think Chris Evans will do a good job, he comes across quite well as a presenter and not at all wooden like other presenters, plus he has a great passion for cars. If NSR is anything to go by, TopGear has become a bit "samey", whilst still entertaining to watch, we still get the usual road trips with infeasibly close "races", caravan bashing and silly gags, perhaps it's time for a reboot. Hopefully CE will inject something new and perhaps change the format slightly, though seeing as TopGear is a now a worldwide franchise for the BBC, it might prove difficult.

CE is to announce that auditions are to be held for two other presenters and this is apparently open to everyone, ie, celebs and Joe Public, I'd like to see Chris Harris and Suzi Perry as the other two presenters.

hodgy0_2 17 June 2015 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11698563)
and Joe Public,

F1_fan?

on second thoughts, maybe the wider public is not ready

jonc 17 June 2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11698564)
F1_fan?

on second thoughts, maybe the wider public is not ready

On the contrary, he could be the new captain slow. :lol1:

wayne9t9 17 June 2015 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler 75 (Post 11698542)

I think he`s pretty good,............. as greek philosophers go.

Martin2005 18 June 2015 01:33 AM

Why are people so against change?

TG had become totatly predictable, unimaginative and, frankly dull.

Change is often good, this might actually save the programme in the long run.

Evans is an incredibly good and clever broadcaster, he has always innovated, and has a track record of suçcess.

I hope he makes it work.

Matteeboy 18 June 2015 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11698547)

Sorry, who is the retard here?

http://grammarist.com/grammar/conjunctions-to-start-sentences/

ditchmyster 18 June 2015 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11698694)

Fixed that for you buddy. :thumb:

And if you need a little computer tuition, don't be afraid to ask. :D

pimmo2000 18 June 2015 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11698116)
Christ Almighty, just let it die!

50 million a year from overseas ... I'd give it a go too

pimmo2000 18 June 2015 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11698547)

Really?

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11690733)
And no doubt the extra premium on the insurance for a jdm over a uk car makes it worth it too :wonder:

I dont doubt the jdm's are a better spec car but writing off the uk specs completely is utter crap, they are still a very capable, comfortable and reliable motor and as already mentioned can be made just as quick with a basic mods and a simple remap.

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11667600)
And they say immigrations not a problem lol

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11630679)
and the people who work on cars generally use tools that are amazingly kept safe in things like toolboxes, some people who work on cars also amazingly work in garages where boxes like this are ideal, therefore if you have nothing constructive to say then refrain from posting on my thread. :razz:

:D:D and no this was from a very quick search of your posts ..

Matteeboy 18 June 2015 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11698709)
Really?

Hahahahaaa!

gazzawrx 18 June 2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11698694)

:lol1: you really are a drip mate, you've searched it on google and out of all the links you've used the only one that says it's ok to use conjunctions, anyone who speaks the english language knows that using AND to start a sentence just dosen't happen. So from now on wind your neck in and leave my posts alone and i'll do the same for you:thumb:

Matteeboy 18 June 2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11698716)
:lol1: you really are a drip mate, you've searched it on google and out of all the links you've used the only one that says it's ok to use conjunctions, anyone who speaks the english language knows that using AND to start a sentence just dosen't happen. So from now on wind your neck in and leave my posts alone and i'll do the same for you:thumb:

Well you do seem to have a short memory as YOU flagged up MY post with an attempt at being clever; which was WRONG. Pimmo then found several examples of YOU using AND at the start of a sentence.

So what you SHOULD do is apologise for your mistake, ADMIT that you use the same grammar yourself and then Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo right off.

gazzawrx 18 June 2015 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by pimmo2000 (Post 11698709)
Really?

:lol: fair play mate, i cant argue with that, i was more trying to make a point to matteeboy that his english isnt as perfect as he thinks so being a grammar nazi is a pointless exercise:thumb:

Matteeboy 18 June 2015 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11698722)
:lol: fair play mate, i cant argue with that, i was more trying to make a point to matteeboy that his english isnt as perfect as he thinks so being a grammar nazi is a pointless exercise:thumb:

Fair enough if I'm wrong but I wasn't; unless you consider most of our finest writers retarded too?

Argue your way out of that one you halfwit.

gazzawrx 18 June 2015 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11698721)
Well you do seem to have a short memory as YOU flagged up MY post with an attempt at being clever; which was WRONG. Pimmo then found several examples of YOU using AND at the start of a sentence.

So what you SHOULD do is apologise for your mistake, ADMIT that you use the same grammar yourself and then Foxtrot Uniform Charlie Kilo right off.

You should of left my 1 spelling mistake alone then you prize prick, in all the time ive posted on here, ive not made many typo's and the 1 i do make you pick up on and proceed to call me a retard, your life must be really sad for you to get a rise on an internet forum, infact why you still on here, your a typical up your own arse bmw owner now aren't you, surely theres another forum with like minded morons you can find:thumb:

Matteeboy 18 June 2015 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by gazzawrx (Post 11698726)
You should of left my 1 spelling mistake alone then you prize prick, in all the time ive posted on here, ive not made many typo's and the 1 i do make you pick up on and proceed to call me a retard, your life must be really sad for you to get a rise on an internet forum, infact why you still on here, your a typical up your own arse bmw owner now aren't you, surely theres another forum with like minded morons you can find:thumb:

Because I HAVE A SUBARU.

And (just to annoy you) I should "of" left your one spelling mistake alone? When was that? Did it really upset you that much?
You shouldn't HAVE tried to correct me should you? You look even sillier now don't you? Oh and you made NINE spelling and grammar errors in your post.

Well done.

Anyway back to the original subject, I'm looking forward to a major refresh of the show. It'll be different but that's no bad thing.