ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cyclist vs Discovery (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1025430-cyclist-vs-discovery.html)

JackClark 02 June 2015 08:30 PM

Cycle paths around here are fine if you're just cruising, easy to dodge the prams. I hit the road over a certain speed mostly because I don't want to hit someone at 20mph.

f1_fan 02 June 2015 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11691417)
A lot of cycle lanes only appear for several hundred yards and generally poorly maintained, have street furniture in them. The road detritus gathers on these paths and makes cycling a puncture lottery.

Cyclists are entitled to ride on roads and be given the common courtesy not to be pinned against the kerb by kn0b head drivers with severe anger issues. The driver in the link actually clipped the cyclists with his mirror, that is how close he was to knocking him off.

Anyone who thinks to question cycling on the road as opposed to poor quality cycle path and try and justify this behaviour as okay, is a moron

I would contest that anyone who thinks dealing with a few bits of badly maintained tarmac is worse than dealing with 2 tons of Discovery is actually the moron!

P.S. Who has tried to justify this behaviour?

P.P.S. Used to cycle myself and I do give cyclists the widest possible berth as a) it's common sense and b) a percentage of them are doing their level best to find trouble... the 'it's my right' brigade and I want to get as far away from them as possible!

f1_fan 02 June 2015 08:35 PM

One other thing occurs to me ... if the cycling fraternity are so anti cycle paths can they lobby the councils to stop spending my taxes on them (rather than spending all their time on YouTube posting videos of the evil motoring fraternity) ;) :D

Matteeboy 02 June 2015 08:36 PM

Discoveries are... Wait for it....

2.8 tonnes!!

JackClark 02 June 2015 08:38 PM

That moron cut up a cyclist in heavy London traffic, he would not have wasted any time waiting for a safe place to pass and rejoin the traffic. The cyclist if he took the cycle path would have to stop at every junction wasting a ton of time. I'd be on the road.

kevo10 02 June 2015 08:39 PM

Dont mean to generalise here,but im of the opinion that the majority of drivers think they own the road, and noone else should dare to encroach on their bit of "turf"

theboy 02 June 2015 08:44 PM

I had a brand new Audi TT driver try run me off the road, few months back. I dragged my shoe down side of his new Audi. He started giving it Charlie big boll*cks, funny enough when i asked him to pull over he drove off. If that Land Rover driver did that to me i would of dragged his sorry old arse around that road for fun.

f1_fan 02 June 2015 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kevo10 (Post 11691469)
Dont mean to generalise here,but im of the opinion that the majority of drivers think they own the road, and noone else should dare to encroach on their bit of "turf"

I think this is the crux of the issue. You' re right in many ways, but the problem is being added to by an increasing number of cyclists who are also acting like it is they who own the road. The bottom line is this country is populated by a lot of aggressive bell ends who ride and/or drive. You do not see this sort of thing routinely in other parts of the world.

andy97 02 June 2015 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11691459)
One other thing occurs to me ... if the cycling fraternity are so anti cycle paths can they lobby the councils to stop spending my taxes on them (rather than spending all their time on YouTube posting videos of the evil motoring fraternity) ;) :D

I agree. , councils are generally pathetic at designing and implementing cycle infrastructure.

I went through Grantham a few months back on a road, then a few weeks later, the council had painted and laid down this non slip coloured cycle path for 175 metres. It then just stopped for no apparent reason. I later passed this same route when a cyclist was not using it. It was full of road debris. I would not drive my car on that amount of debris.

YouTube videos are excellent at bringing attention to the behaviour of certain drivers to the wider public. In shaming these individuals will help make most users wary that someone is recording their behaviour and it will be reported, making all drivers then wary.

theboy 02 June 2015 08:51 PM

Dont get me wrong you also see plenty of clowns on bikes running red lights & generally acting like first class pri*ks. And that also includes motorcyclists

kevo10 02 June 2015 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11691475)
I think this is the crux of the issue. You' re right in many ways, but the problem is being added to by an increasing number of cyclists who are also acting like it is they who own the road. The bottom line is this country is populated by a lot of aggressive bell ends who ride and/or drive. You do not see this sort of thing routinely in other parts of the world.

Yes totally agree.But this could also be a symptom of the general stress and strain that life tends to inflict and the only easy outlet people have access to, is on the road

theboy 02 June 2015 08:52 PM

Ive raced push bikes and cycle paths are lethal unless your going slow, i never use them

kevo10 02 June 2015 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 11691484)
Dont get me wrong you also see plenty of clowns on bikes running red lights & generally acting like first class pri*ks. And that also includes motorcyclists

Yes, its all on the increase .

Matteeboy 02 June 2015 09:05 PM

I'm struggling to think of a single "cycle lane" within 10 miles of here.
I generally just use very quiet back lanes or cycle off road.

theboy 02 June 2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11691513)
I'm struggling to think of a single "cycle lane" within 10 miles of here.
I generally just use very quiet back lanes or cycle off road.

Ones around Halifax are full of debris & all sorts of crap. When my bike tyres cost £50 a piece i aint riding in that.

Matteeboy 02 June 2015 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by theboy (Post 11691524)
Ones around Halifax are full of debris & all sorts of crap. When my bike tyres cost £50 a piece i aint riding in that.

I use Schwalbes Double Defende tyres; can't remember the last time I had a flat.

Funkii Munkii 02 June 2015 11:07 PM

And they cycled off side by side on a single carriageway, brilliant :rolleyes:

jonc 02 June 2015 11:11 PM

One word,.... F A I L ! !

JackClark 03 June 2015 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 11691599)
And they cycled off side by side on a single carriageway, brilliant :rolleyes:

The bloke who stopped his car in the road is still the bigger ****.

dpb 03 June 2015 03:13 AM

That's fairly epic fail, still he managed to get straight up so could be worse

About 6 months ago did similar with piece of hardcore 4" square must fell off builders van

Hell of a bang,only just stayed from going over the bars, didn't even scuff new bike jacket but front tyre was right off and both punctured. Front wheel survived though.

ditchmyster 03 June 2015 05:55 AM

A pair of southern pooftas, full of p1ss and wind. :lol1:

(No offense to northern pooftas intended or pooftas from anywhere else for that matter) :D

davyboy 03 June 2015 06:10 AM

strange, some posts are missing?

nik52wrx 03 June 2015 07:07 AM

I've just started using Schwalbe one v guards boasting superb puncture resistance...puncture first ride on them :brickwall

As for cycle paths near me of which there are plenty, most of which are almost impossible to ride due to pedestrians walking in them and the even more annoying dog walkers with those extendable leads.

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11691549)
I use Schwalbes Double Defende tyres; can't remember the last time I had a flat.

andy97 03 June 2015 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 11691640)
I've just started using Schwalbe one v guards boasting superb puncture resistance...puncture first ride on them :brickwall

As for cycle paths near me of which there are plenty, most of which are almost impossible to ride due to pedestrians walking in them and the even more annoying dog walkers with those extendable leads.

I have gone with schwalbe ones. But tubeless on my new wheels to see if they are any good. I didn't get them for puncture resistance, I use Schwalbe Marathon plus for that

Matteeboy 03 June 2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by nik52wrx (Post 11691640)

Oh darn. Do you run low pressures? I tend to run mine quite high; seems to help.
Some of the stuff we ride over makes me wince; shredded slate, thorny branches, etc but they seem to stay fine.
My road tyres seem okay too but I rarely use that bike.
I had nightmares with Continentals; punctures all the time.

Rusti 03 June 2015 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by andy97 (Post 11691481)
I agree. , councils are generally pathetic at designing and implementing cycle infrastructure.

I went through Grantham a few months back on a road, then a few weeks later, the council had painted and laid down this non slip coloured cycle path for 175 metres. It then just stopped for no apparent reason. I later passed this same route when a cyclist was not using it. It was full of road debris. I would not drive my car on that amount of debris.

YouTube videos are excellent at bringing attention to the behaviour of certain drivers to the wider public. In shaming these individuals will help make most users wary that someone is recording their behaviour and it will be reported, making all drivers then wary.

This is a massive factor in why people dont use cycle lanes, as others have mentioned, the ones on the pavement are very slow, broken up, and full of people walking normally which makes them totally useless.

Most of the ones around here are on the road but are designed clearly by people who dont cycle. usually they just disappear after a mile or so and are covered in worn manhole covers which in the wet are lethal on a road bike.

As a mountain biker I dont use too many busy roads but come across walkers and horses etc and as far as i can make out there just needs to be a bit more give and take on both sides. :)

The Dogs B******s 03 June 2015 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 11691636)
strange, some posts are missing?

I noticed that too.:wonder:

Matteeboy 03 June 2015 11:37 AM

I suspect the reference to a certain now deceased person to "win" a debate was considered bad form. Which it was.

Funkii Munkii 03 June 2015 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 11691622)
The bloke who stopped his car in the road is still the bigger ****.

Agreed, the only one who came out of that with any cred was the peacemaker and then he went two abreast and lost said cred.

On another note some of the funnier reponses have been deleted, Boooo

davyboy 03 June 2015 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 11691732)
I suspect the reference to a certain now deceased person to "win" a debate was considered bad form. Which it was.

I stand by that. I've never understood how angry people can get being delayed by a cyclist.

What I said was: While we discuss how terrible cyclists and motorists are, consider post 2 on SNR, andythejock01wrx

I think it may have been another comment that was the cause of the post to be deleted.