ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   improving brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/1017685-improving-brakes.html)

bustaMOVEs 03 January 2015 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer (Post 11594883)
Busta As you don't have my combination you can't really judge , trust me I have pasted it on these for 3 laps of the ring on 300+hp last summer with no issues and I know exactly what you mean on the Std 4 pot , just driving streets Id previously managed to warp 3 sets of std disks and the fluid was useless afterward.

By the way what did cause me to stop at the ring last summer were the std rears as they were glowing red and cooking the mintex pads so the F-R balance was all over the place. So I was moving pretty fast before then.

Why this is so Try to bear in mind that the calipers are extended out away from the hub on the adapters and that the heat sink transfer into the hub is reduced due to the aluminium hat. Once I get the rears improved this summer ill have another go. Best regards Ralph

Ive had the 335 2 piece kit also, the calipers are not upto the job for a keen driver.

Godspeed Brakes 03 January 2015 10:41 PM

You had the wrong pads to suit you , we have people using our 335mm kit with DS3000 pads in Tarmac rally cars on slicks with no issues , if you use a suitable pad this kit is very capable

bustaMOVEs 03 January 2015 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11595037)
You had the wrong pads to suit you , we have people using our 335mm kit with DS3000 pads in Tarmac rally cars on slicks with no issues , if you use a suitable pad this kit is very capable

Ok! I used 2 different pads on your recommendation. Ds2500 and ndx blue when you were giving it the sales speech.

Anyway, I'm not talking to you as we are going over old ground and I don't want the mods coming in spoiling the fun ;)

As said before maybe ok for some, hence I quoted a 'keen' track driver if you read and also previously I've said they maybe fine for some.
P.s I can't understand why anyone would have a Tarmac 'rally' car and fit wrx 4 pots......now that is laughable.

Godspeed Brakes 03 January 2015 11:22 PM

You say the CL RC6 pads suited you in your old car with Brembos , so I can see the NDX and DS2500's wouldn't have been up to the job for your style of driving , something like DS3000's would have.

Yes people do use the Subaru 4 pots rallying , I did also on my classic type R I had a few years ago as I was using 15" wheels.
Not everyone has a limitless budget , what's so hard to understand about that ??

Linksfahrer 03 January 2015 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Matt&Natasha (Post 11593833)
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice, I've got a nice turbo 2000, MY00, and I love it, planning on doing some track days in the spring, but the brakes aren't brilliant, I've changed the discs and pads, and they are better, but by no means great for track day driving.

I understand having read some posts that the classic brakes aren't great anyway, but is there any way I can improve them without going down the big brake conversion route and spending hundreds if not thousands on that, and all it entails, bigger wheels, different offsets etc.

Would be grateful of any advice.

Matt

I thought Id remind everyone where this started

If you are still watching in Downham market ?

Matt its your thread , objective advice on brakes is defined by current wheel size and budget / intended use.

bustaMOVEs 04 January 2015 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Godspeed Brakes (Post 11595083)
You say the CL RC6 pads suited you in your old car with Brembos , so I can see the NDX and DS2500's wouldn't have been up to the job for your style of driving , something like DS3000's would have.

Yes people do use the Subaru 4 pots rallying , I did also on my classic type R I had a few years ago as I was using 15" wheels.
Not everyone has a limitless budget , what's so hard to understand about that ??

Do I really have to go over old ground?

YOU yourself even admitted the cast caliper gets hot! End of conversation. (And that's why I moved on 'eventually')

Obviously you have you're own agenda here.

Now stop stalking me AGAIN please.

bustaMOVEs 04 January 2015 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer (Post 11595097)
I thought Id remind everyone where this started

If you are still watching in Downham market ?

Matt its your thread , objective advice on brakes is defined by current wheel size and budget / intended use.

All I was saying, is, if your going to track car and are a 'keen' driver you may aswell spend time and money once.

Matt&Natasha 05 January 2015 12:04 PM

hi all, thanks for the advice and interesting read, ive got the standard 16" wheels, and just starting out on the trackday thing, done a couple in a old mk2 golf I had, so not a serious racer at all, Ill probably look at upgrading the pads and see how it goes for the first few track days at least, then if I decide I am any good spend some money on decent upgrades.

I quite like the look of my 16" wheels though so not sure I want to go much bigger if at all.

Quick question about trackdays though, do the rear brakes make much difference when upgrading discs and pads etc, or is most of the hammer going through the front ones?

veerinder9 05 January 2015 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matt&Natasha (Post 11596057)
hi all, thanks for the advice and interesting read, ive got the standard 16" wheels, and just starting out on the trackday thing, done a couple in a old mk2 golf I had, so not a serious racer at all, Ill probably look at upgrading the pads and see how it goes for the first few track days at least, then if I decide I am any good spend some money on decent upgrades.

I quite like the look of my 16" wheels though so not sure I want to go much bigger if at all.

Quick question about trackdays though, do the rear brakes make much difference when upgrading discs and pads etc, or is most of the hammer going through the front ones?

Mainly fronts but you would be better with 17s with good calipers front and back. If you have better backs aswel it stops the fronts doing all the work and makes the car "nose dive" less in my experience