ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Save the Children staff furious over ‘global legacy’ award for Tony Blair (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1015823-save-the-children-staff-furious-over-global-legacy-award-for-tony-blair.html)

JTaylor 28 November 2014 10:55 AM

Islamism's the problem, not aggressive liberalism. The Arab Spring was hijacked by Islamists.

Martin2005 28 November 2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11570503)
In your opinion which is not fact despite what your ego tells you!

Whereas your 'it would have happened anyway' (well actually it's 'it would of (sic) happened anyway' according to you :lol1:) statement is based on you being an apologist and a bit of a egotistical ****!

Where have I tried to rewrite history? You made a statement that is clearly nonsense and I suggested otherwise. If I had said the illegal invasion of Iraq was a roaring success... that would be rewriting history. Pull me up all you want, but don't stoop to putting words in my mouth that I have clearly not said!

So to be clear, you are suggesting that Bush would not have invaded Iraq if the UK were not on board?

I can't see what logic you are following

hodgy0_2 28 November 2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11570509)
Islamism's the problem, not aggressive liberalism. The Arab Spring was hijacked by Islamists.

the problem is a toxic mix of poverty, ignorance and backward tribalism,

JTaylor 28 November 2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11570545)
the problem is a toxic mix of poverty, ignorance and backward tribalism,

Agreed, and it's given birth to Islamism which is a by-product of Islam which led to and was born out of poverty, ignorance and tribalism. They're not, in my view, independent of one another, rather they're corrosively symbiotic.

f1_fan 28 November 2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11570542)
So to be clear, you are suggesting that Bush would not have invaded Iraq if the UK were not on board?

I can't see what logic you are following

I already suggested what may have happened in a different scenario a few posts back!

Martin2005 28 November 2014 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11570554)
I already suggested what may have happened in a different scenario a few posts back!

So that's your answer is it?

So no matter how unlikely your scenario was, you are calling my argument, which is based upon the facts as they were at the time 'bollocks' and 'apologist'?

Kind of difficult to argue against that kind of pigheadedness

f1_fan 28 November 2014 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11570560)
So that's your answer is it?

So no matter how unlikely your scenario was, you are calling my argument, which is based upon the facts as they were at the time 'bollocks' and 'apologist'?

Kind of difficult to argue against that kind of pigheadedness

Martin, when you learn to stop confusing your opinion with fact then we can have a sensible discussion. Until then this is pointless. I am genuinely unsure whether you are deliberately misinterpreting the angle of the discussion here or whether you have developed a 'thick' gene like half of the posters here!

Martin2005 28 November 2014 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11570566)
Martin, when you learn to stop confusing your opinion with fact then we can have a sensible discussion. Until then this is pointless. I am genuinely unsure whether you are deliberately misinterpreting the angle of the discussion here or whether you have developed a 'thick' gene like half of the posters here!

Not sure it's me that has misinterpreted anything. I was originally responding to the point that 'if it wasn't for Blair Iraq wouldn't be the mess it is'.
My point (again), the US were going to invade Iraq regardless. That really isn't speculative, it's the logical argument based upon the politics of the US in the early 2000s. Not to mention statements by senior neo-con members of the Bush administration.
Amongst the neo-cons Blair was actually quite unpopular as he was seen as someone slowing down the invasion,. The most clear example of this was Cheney's frustration at Blair for insisting they went through the UN. Again this isn't speculation, it is well documented fact.

f1_fan 28 November 2014 12:31 PM

The invasion could have led to many duffernt scenarios for the future of the country. Sadly Blair and Bush were more interested in grabbing short term glory for themselves than thinking how best to approach the whole situation.

JTaylor 28 November 2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 11570575)
The invasion could have led to many duffernt scenarios for the future of the country. Sadly Blair and Bush were more interested in grabbing short term glory for themselves than thinking how best to approach the whole situation.

It was Islamism that destroyed post-Saddam Iraq, Chris.

dpb 28 November 2014 01:40 PM

Nothing to do with basic rivalry Sunni v Shai?

JTaylor 28 November 2014 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11570619)
Nothing to do with basic rivalry Sunni v Shai?

Yes, certainly sectarian, a promotion of one branch of Islam over another, both with Islamist groups tearing down any hope of a pluralistic society.