ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   BMW's and runflats (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/1013387-bmws-and-runflats.html)

ALi-B 16 October 2014 01:45 PM

The problem with tyre weld is its like watered-down PVA glue (or old school Copydex). It only hardens in contact with air (the puncture), the rest of it sloshes inside the tyre, making it an arse to clean out...as it starts to harden as soon as the tyre is taken off the rim.

Makes a right mess. The Continental stuff supplied in the dealer supplied mobility kits could be sold to druggies...the fumes it gives off once a tyre is removed off the rim is well trippy :D :lol1:

Carnut 16 October 2014 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11540120)
The problem with tyre weld is its like watered-down PVA glue (or old school Copydex). It only hardens in contact with air (the puncture), the rest of it sloshes inside the tyre, making it an arse to clean out...as it starts to harden as soon as the tyre is taken off the rim.

Makes a right mess. The Continental stuff supplied in the dealer supplied mobility kits could be sold to druggies...the fumes it gives off once a tyre is removed off the rim is well trippy :D :lol1:

So is what I have said correct about not being able to repair the puncture after the use of tyre weld?

ALi-B 16 October 2014 06:42 PM

It can be repaired if its still liquid (as most only solidify in contact with fresh air - not enough air inside a tyre for it to harden - usually), and want to waste 30mins cleaning all the gunk out of it....so long as the tyre's structure isn't damaged and the punture isn't too close to the sidewall.

Obviously depends on brand, I suppose.

chocolate_o_brian 04 January 2015 09:57 PM

Instead of a new thread I'm gonna bump this one.

I've got a nice set of MV3's on the Bimmer now in 'United Grey Metallic', a nice VAG colour.

Anywho, the rear Bridgestone runflats are nearly shot and £175 each. So I may as well swap all 4 for decent non-RFT Conti's (or suggestions?) at once.

But, I looked in the boot earlier under the liner and this:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...pscjcxf3jr.jpg

:lol1:

So getting a spare as in JonC's suggestion is gonna be difficult. OR do you strsp it down in the boot itself so it doesn't roll around *ahem* on spirited driving ;)

Not sure what to do now other than buy tyre weld.

Cheers

Matteeboy 04 January 2015 10:09 PM

It has to go in the boot.
It's tyre weld and a compressor time; we had no flats in 5 years though (funnily enough our M135i picked one up at two months old!).

Conti are my favourite choice for an E90.

ALi-B 04 January 2015 10:17 PM

There is a, ahem, strap-on kit that allows you to tie down a spare wheel slap bang in the middle of the boot.

Which IMO is ridiculous as it makes the boot almost useless. I mean why did BMW relocate the battery which used to be in the far right rear corner of the boot? If the battery still lived there (like the e60, and e46 etc), the space under the boot floor would have made for impressive storage...instead you get, well, that as seen above :mad:

I'm sure there must the son of an Allegro/Princess designer working at BMW these days. Its the only way I can rationalise their irrational mentality.

(Just to save people googling British car history, that will be the same designers that made two cars that looked like a hatchback that wasn't a hatchback in a market place crying out for hatchbacks...hmmm BMW 4 series...the next Allegro? :lol1: ).

chocolate_o_brian 04 January 2015 10:22 PM

I know Ali, doesn't make sense.

I looked to see where in the coupes boot you could strap a spare down, some kind of point or even modification?

Nowt, but it was dark :lol1:

I looked at that kit on the previous page for £288 which says there are straps but where to they connect?

ALi-B 04 January 2015 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11536825)
Re suspension....funnily enough I rang today about a 535d on the sole basis that its one of the few out there that has the active suspension (dynamic damping)....which ours doesn't.

Not driven one, but from what I gather, it has softer settings (comfort mode) which can be stiffened if required (sport mode)...this could be the answer to the runflat ride quality problem. It also has 19" wheels...ours has 20" wheels.

Lesson in life....ensure a dealer's test drive route doesn't take you down freshly surfaced roads. :faceplam:

And just to update this.

I swapped my BMW for the one above. Ride quality is almost as smooth as silk compared to the old one which didn't have the adaptive suspension.

Means I can stick with the runflats now.

More people need to spec their new BMWs with this.

ALi-B 04 January 2015 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I know Ali, doesn't make sense.

I looked to see where in the coupes boot you could strap a spare down, some kind of point or even modification?

Nowt, but it was dark :lol1:

I looked at that kit on the previous page for £288 which says there are straps but where to they connect?

Well, two of the straps go to the steel hoops that you can see in the bottom of your photo. The other two straps should attach to a a pair of fold-out hoops at the rear of the boot on each wheel arch.

Linksfahrer 04 January 2015 10:49 PM

Hate Run flats

I hate run flats used to drive a company 320d with the dam things , made a mess of what was otherwise a comfortable ride. Every time I wore out the new cars first set I replaced them with std tires.

If you check your tire pressures and don't kerb them parking , I find I don't get punctures , I drove 50k-60k per year , and the last 2 I had were in 2005 one was in Scotland when I ran over a large gyproc tack , I just left it in and had it mushroom repaired in the highlands , and the other time I had to avoid a clot taking up more than his side of the road and drove the side wall into the kerb.

So either I have been lucky or the tires these days are pretty good. If you are unlucky enough to get a flat , what about using the AA ?

I never carry the silly spare/jack in the scooby , Its worth 10 bhp.

ALi-B 04 January 2015 11:01 PM

No adaptive suspension I take it.

Next new company BMW....get it fitted....Difference is like night and day. I've just given back a F30 318d M Sport (not adaptive) loan car. Worst ride quality I have ever come across in a BM so far...and the F07 is bad!.

Matteeboy 05 January 2015 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11595859)
No adaptive suspension I take it.

Next new company BMW....get it fitted....Difference is like night and day. I've just given back a F30 318d M Sport (not adaptive) loan car. Worst ride quality I have ever come across in a BM so far...and the F07 is bad!.

Except for the M135i where many consider adaptive to be pointless. It also accounts for an odd knocking noise and makes zero difference to resale.
Perfectly happy with the standard shocks. Less weight too.

ALi-B 05 January 2015 01:17 PM

Those people obviously have their car either as a toy or only use the car on super smooth roads.

I've driven three M135i now (looking to buy, two non-adapative, one adapative). The apdative one was the better of the three, couldn't knock the sales guy down to do a good enough deal though (R32 is worth penauts).

Matteeboy 05 January 2015 06:42 PM

Well six M135i owners, including me, have met up twice with varying spec levels; only one has adaptive (he's the sort that must have every option) and isn't sure about it.
Comfort is too soft, Sport is too hard; standard sits towards the sport end.

So despite being a self confessed expert on every car ever made, on this one I'd say you're wrong. ;)

ALi-B 05 January 2015 08:09 PM

Comfort needs to be soft round here. Non adaptive is just too just too jiggly for what I would want as a daily driver, its just crashes and thumps too harsly - worse than the R32, which isn't eactly soft but is accptable. All variants of M135i do ride better than the F30 318d and the X1 2.0d. Bearing in mind the reason why I had these loan cars in the first place was because I was waiting for my bent wheels to be replaced on the Euro barge. :)

So who confessed what now? ;) I reckon its the cheapskates kidding themselves on the options list.

ScoobyJawa 05 January 2015 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11595824)
Which IMO is ridiculous as it makes the boot almost useless. I mean why did BMW relocate the battery which used to be in the far right rear corner of the boot? If the battery still lived there (like the e60, and e46 etc), the space under the boot floor would have made for impressive storage...instead you get, well, that as seen above :mad:

The F series is back in the far right corner, at least in the F31, its buried under **** loads of stuff and a proper PITA to get to!

Matteeboy 05 January 2015 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 11596642)
Comfort needs to be soft round here. Non adaptive is just too just too jiggly for what I would want as a daily driver, its just crashes and thumps too harsly - worse than the R32, which isn't eactly soft but is accptable. All variants of M135i do ride better than the F30 318d and the X1 2.0d. Bearing in mind the reason why I had these loan cars in the first place was because I was waiting for my bent wheels to be replaced on the Euro barge. :)

So who confessed what now? ;) I reckon its the cheapskates kidding themselves on the options list.

It's a £500 option which BMW puts a 0% GFV value onto. We have £5-6k of options so another £500 wasn't an issue; I just preferred standard and unless the mk5 R32 was way softer, our M135i is a load more comfortable than our mk4 R32. Don't forget we have a lot of rubbish roads here.
I wonder if the ones you drove were on runflats (a no cost option very often seen on dealer demo cars)? On MPSSS the ride is firm but comfortable.