ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Should British jihadis be allowed back? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1011224-should-british-jihadis-be-allowed-back.html)

Martin2005 05 September 2014 10:54 PM

Let them back. They might provide some useful intelligence.

jonc 05 September 2014 11:42 PM

I think we should first get the names of those who want to come back and then give those details to their militant commanders and let them deal with their desertion, killing several birds with one stone;
they won't be coming back,
tax payers don't pay for their surveillance,
reduced threat to public safety,
they get dealt with outside of the UK,
will discourage others from doing the same,

Reap what you sow.

Blue by You 06 September 2014 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11508258)
I think we should first get the names of those who want to come back and then give those details to their militant commanders and let them deal with their desertion, killing several birds with one stone;
they won't be coming back,
tax payers don't pay for their surveillance,
reduced threat to public safety,
they get dealt with outside of the UK,
will discourage others from doing the same,

Reap what you sow.

Now that is a plan :notworthy :lol1:

dpb 06 September 2014 08:11 AM

He would just shoot them, wouldn't he :wonder:

Blue by You 06 September 2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11508296)

And what's wrong with that? Most people, I think, would call that Karma.

dpb 06 September 2014 09:24 AM

It's a good plan, except we don't /do recognize them as a state
Do/don't commune with terrorists.

?????

jonc 06 September 2014 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11508296)

On the upside, they would each have 72 virgins waiting for them heaven.

roscom 06 September 2014 09:59 AM

Not a chance!

Not just for these lot but as a general commentary on society there are far too many people around who are incapable of accepting responsibility and dealing with the consequences of their own actions.

You made your choice,now suck it up and stop crying like pussies!!

Devildog 08 September 2014 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11508234)
Let them back. They might provide some useful intelligence.

And some of it might even be true...:brickwall

andy97 08 September 2014 11:11 AM

How about the medieval "witch" test
But with a twist. What do jihadist like to do to other vulnerable westerners!

Rick2014 08 September 2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blue by You (Post 11508322)
And what's wrong with that? Most people, I think, would call that Karma.

What goes around comes around.And its come around and bit the fu*kers on the ar*e so leave them where they got dropped off,and dont let them back.And if there familys over here are moaning about it throw them out as well ;)

The Dogs B******s 08 September 2014 12:56 PM

NO

SouthWalesSam 08 September 2014 09:03 PM

Yes.

Then at least we'd know where they are.

RA Dunk 08 September 2014 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam (Post 11510235)
Yes.

Then at least we'd know where they are.

If we don't allow them back in we know where their not, Here!......

Shaid 09 September 2014 04:26 PM

Yes and No.

Yes, because they obviously went out there on the pretence that they are fighting a noble cause (you know little man fighting against the dictator thingy...) but actually found out the realities are not as black and white as they previously thought.

No, because they might not be entirely truthful with their intentions or a couple of bad eggs might get in and cause some harm to innocent folk.

JTaylor 12 September 2014 03:28 PM

I've given this quite a bit of thought and have reasoned that it would be right to let them back in. It shows us as compassionate and open and might just soften the hearts of the jihadis.

Blue by You 12 September 2014 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11513487)
I've given this quite a bit thought and have reasoned that it would be right to let them back in. It shows us as compassionate and open and might just soften the hearts of the jihadis.

Yeah right, best of luck with that one ;)

warrenm2 12 September 2014 03:46 PM

yeah, appeasement has a great record...

Maz 12 September 2014 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11513500)

The Good Friday Agreement?

JTaylor 12 September 2014 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 11513500)

I'm not suggesting we do a Neville Chamberlain, I support action against IS (in fact I don't think there's an alternative), but young jihadis who've found themselves out of their depth might just appreciate our warm embrace. They might, just might, want to stop with their Salafist poppycock.

Maz 12 September 2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11513514)
I'm not suggesting we do a Neville Chamberlain, I support action against IS (in fact I don't think there's an alternative), but young jihadis who've found themselves out of their depth might just appreciate our warm embrace. They might, just might, want to stop with their Salafist poppycock.

If they went there to fight Assad and his henchmen (who were the bad guys) then surely they were acting in our interests. As at one point Cameron considered military intervention himself. However I still wouldn't allow them back as they were warned about going there in the first place. As they refused to follow that simple command then they've forfeited their rights to live and enjoy the freedom and protection of the state.

JTaylor 12 September 2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11513517)
If they went there to fight Assad and his henchmen (who were the bad guys) then surely they were acting in our interests. As at one point Cameron considered military intervention himself. However I still wouldn't allow them back as they were warned about going there in the first place. As they refused to follow that simple command then they've forfeited their rights to live and enjoy the freedom and protection of the state.

Very few went to Syria to fight Assad in opposition to his politics, they went there as Sunni fighting Shia. The pro-democracy movement survived less than a strawberry season. Nonetheless, if one of these youngsters realised they'd made an error, we ought to take the moral high-ground and let them come home. Monitor and counsel them and maybe we de-radicalise them in the process. If we exclude them indefinitely, they'll certainly hate the west for the remainder of their lives.

Paben 12 September 2014 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11513527)
Very few went to Syria to fight Assad in opposition to his politics, they went there as Sunni fighting Shia. The pro-democracy movement survived less than a strawberry season. Nonetheless, if one of these youngsters realised they'd made an error, we ought to take the moral high-ground and let them come home. Monitor and counsel them and maybe we de-radicalise them in the process. If we exclude them indefinitely, they'll certainly hate the west for the remainder of their lives.

How convenient for them. Perhaps we should exercise a similar permission for serious criminals who confess to having 'made an error'. Just give them a good talking to then set them free so they don't hate the system. That'll work.

JTaylor 12 September 2014 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11513555)
How convenient for them. Perhaps we should exercise a similar permission for serious criminals who confess to having 'made an error'. Just give them a good talking to then set them free so they don't hate the system. That'll work.

Which law has been broken?

Martin2005 12 September 2014 06:41 PM

They would be an intelligence gold mine

Paben 12 September 2014 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11513630)
Which law has been broken?

I believe that being part of a terrorist group responsible for massacres and beheadings would be a start. Or does your moral high ground extend to assuming that those returning would not have been involved in any way in any of these atrocities? A bit naive don't you think?

JTaylor 12 September 2014 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11513646)
I believe that being part of a terrorist group responsible for massacres and beheadings would be a start. Or does your moral high ground extend to assuming that those returning would not have been involved in any way in any of these atrocities? A bit naive don't you think?

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat.

Paben 12 September 2014 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11513661)
Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat.

Of course, but requesting repatriation, having been a member of a terrorist group, might be construed as guilt by association. And if it doesn't then your earlier suggestion of monitoring, counseling and de-radicalising them would fall flat too. Following your logic we will have no alternative but to allow them to take their places in society again as if nothing has happened. No harm done then.

JTaylor 12 September 2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Paben (Post 11513674)
Of course, but requesting repatriation, having been a member of a terrorist group, might be construed as guilt by association. And if it doesn't then your earlier suggestion of monitoring, counseling and de-radicalising them would fall flat too. Following your logic we will have no alternative but to allow them to take their places in society again as if nothing has happened. No harm done then.

What law allows us to refuse repatriation?

zip106 12 September 2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 11513632)
They would be an intelligence gold mine

Yeah, bit of good ol' water-boarding, job jobbed.