ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   I'm a Flashaholic (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1043743-im-a-flashaholic.html)

RS_Matt 03 December 2020 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 12093536)
@RS Matt Do you know of a really good red led headlamp?

I know Fenix has an sst40, but is there anything you know of?

How does the sst40 stack up against xhp35 or 50.2, as my Astrolux FT02s will be on its way.
Hope it'll make a good q8 replacement.

https://uk.banggood.com/Astrolux-FT0...r_warehouse=CN

The SST40 is very similar to the XHP35, maybe slightly floodier.
I think the only red headlight I've reviewed was the MAGICSHINE MOH 35 but it was pretty high end.

silver-sub 04 December 2020 02:49 PM

Something to watch while in lockdown.

hux309 06 December 2020 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 12094253)
The SST40 is very similar to the XHP35, maybe slightly floodier.
I think the only red headlight I've reviewed was the MAGICSHINE MOH 35 but it was pretty high end.

Thanks, I love my single XHP35 and funny enough wished it was a bit floodier.
I've given up on red, so might grab a green d42vs instead.

decepticon 23 December 2020 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by neil-h (Post 11900549)
How come no ones mentioned the legend that is the D cell Maglire yet? :lol1:

after reading this thread I decided to buy an olight seeker 2 pro max must say I’m very impressed perfect for what I want.
I had a 2d cell mag light which I have had for decades and decided to upgrade it to led, cost about £12 it’s a massive improvement over the original. Not a patch on the seeker but well worth the cost for use as an occasional use torch.

RS_Matt 08 January 2021 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by decepticon (Post 12095696)
after reading this thread I decided to buy an olight seeker 2 pro max must say I’m very impressed perfect for what I want.
I had a 2d cell mag light which I have had for decades and decided to upgrade it to led, cost about £12 it’s a massive improvement over the original. Not a patch on the seeker but well worth the cost for use as an occasional use torch.

I love the rubber grip of the Pro but I decided to just keep the regular seeker as I preferred the floodier beam.

This is a decent light I've just reviewed...

hux309 09 January 2021 05:44 AM

Matt you should be give the ft02s sst40 a look, I love the mix of flood/throw with a good tint and far less ringy.

With my molicel p42a, I really have to be careful when I use turbo.

RS_Matt 20 January 2021 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by hux309 (Post 12096723)
Matt you should be give the ft02s sst40 a look, I love the mix of flood/throw with a good tint and far less ringy.

With my molicel p42a, I really have to be careful when I use turbo.

They offered me it for review but I'd already bought the 50.2 version

This beats both hands down!!!

RS_Matt 28 January 2021 09:52 PM

OLIGHT's latest offering!

hux309 29 January 2021 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by RS_Matt (Post 12097501)
They offered me it for review but I'd already bought the 50.2 version

This beats both hands down!!!

I'd love to, but it currently has too many quality issues.

Matthew Gill 03 February 2021 11:26 AM

This plastic mo fo cost me over £100! I'm ill.

https://youtu.be/B63JbWrHGKE

RS_Matt 09 February 2021 12:34 AM

Oh my, buy the wife the pink one!!!!

RS_Matt 13 February 2021 01:12 AM

LEPER time again

ALi-B 14 February 2021 04:19 PM

Hey Matt, Something I haven't seen much in your reviews is worklights.

Tried using flashlights but generally round designs roll off the worktop and can't be supported for hands free operation with lack of overhear support and wide beam.

Anyhoo kept resorting back my old faithful Bluepoint ECFFOLDLMPA, only 380 lumens but I can get two to three full working days out of it, hooks, bottom and rear magnets plus a hook, plus still small enough to poke down tight areas, the flood LED giving a good area of illumination. It survive at least one drop from height everyday, and even though the rubber seals have long gone (brake fluid made it go a bit gunky ) it still survived total immersion in waste engine oil and antifreeze, I've only had to take apart twice to clean it out. But alas the switch is worn out so I have to shake it to get it to work and pencil torch has gone dim and lost its focus

I have a snap-on puck light model ECPRA072UK. Good sturdy made light with nice wide flood angle, ample brightness on higher powers, really heavy duty (can drive over it, no problem). But short battery life, no hook, stand won't angle light downwards and its size can make it awkward to poke into books and crannies and battery life is poor being hours rather than days. At least it has a power metre. Lack of hook is annoying as more and more cars use aluminium and composites. As such it's annoying as a work light as the battery frequently runs out and doesn't charge quick enough and can't be replaced/swapped.

Then I have another a Snap on pocket torch model ECPNA021UK to replace the Bluepoint. And it's disappointing; Nice and compact, gets into all the awkward places Not quite as bright as as the Bluepoint on flood yet similar bear angle, but bright pencil beam. Colour of flood LED is not as pure and has a yellowish hue. Buttons easily caught when in the pocket, battery life poor on higher brightness settings, slow to recharge. But it does have a replaceable battery and will accept a few alkaline AAA batteries for emergency use albeit at lower brightness and even shorter runtime. Belt clip and magnet is handy, but not strong enough. No stand or way of using it hands free. Only available in black; Not good in dark workshops where it can be easily mislaid. Charge dock is handy also magnetic so it sticks to the side of my roller cab but again not strong enough and fixed usb lead is too short to reach a power outlet (really need some form on integrated power in my tool box; would make charging between jobs a bit more convenient).

So the latter could do with replacing with something better in terms of battery life, a colour that doesn't get lost in a badly lit workshop with more versatility in terms of hanging, stand, magnets. Plus be ultra durable against abuse. A lot of Chinese stuff I've had inbetween has succumbed in various ways, usually driver failure or smashed when dropped.

andy97 14 February 2021 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12099209)

Tried using flashlights but generally round designs roll off the worktop and can't be supported for hands free operation with lack of overhear support and wide beam.

Anyhoo kept resorting back my old faithful Bluepoint ECFFOLDLMPA, only 380 lumens but I can get two to three full working days out of it, hooks, bottom and rear magnets plus a hook, plus still small enough to poke down tight areas, the flood LED giving a good area of illumination. It survive at least one drop from height everyday, and even though the rubber seals have long gone (brake fluid made it go a bit gunky ) it still survived total immersion in waste engine oil and antifreeze, I've only had to take apart twice to clean it out. But alas the switch is worn out so I have to shake it to get it to work and pencil torch has gone dim and lost its focus

I have a snap-on puck light model ECPRA072UK. Good sturdy made light with nice wide flood angle, ample brightness on higher powers, really heavy duty (can drive over it, no problem). But short battery life, no hook, stand won't angle light downwards and its size can make it awkward to poke into books and crannies and battery life is poor being hours rather than days. At least it has a power metre. Lack of hook is annoying as more and more cars use aluminium and composites. As such it's annoying as a work light as the battery frequently runs out and doesn't charge quick enough and can't be replaced/swapped.

Then I have another a Snap on pocket torch model ECPNA021UK to replace the Bluepoint. And it's disappointing; Nice and compact, gets into all the awkward places Not quite as bright as as the Bluepoint on flood yet similar bear angle, but bright pencil beam. Colour of flood LED is not as pure and has a yellowish hue. Buttons easily caught when in the pocket, battery life poor on higher brightness settings, slow to recharge. But it does have a replaceable battery and will accept a few alkaline AAA batteries for emergency use albeit at lower brightness and even shorter runtime. Belt clip and magnet is handy, but not strong enough. No stand or way of using it hands free. Only available in black; Not good in dark workshops where it can be easily mislaid. Charge dock is handy also magnetic so it sticks to the side of my roller cab but again not strong enough and fixed usb lead is too short to reach a power outlet (really need some form on integrated power in my tool box; would make charging between jobs a bit more convenient).

So the latter could do with replacing with something better in terms of battery life, a colour that doesn't get lost in a badly lit workshop with more versatility in terms of hanging, stand, magnets. Plus be ultra durable against abuse. A lot of Chinese stuff I've had inbetween has succumbed in various ways, usually driver failure or smashed when dropped.

I bought a couple of these Astro 40sl max. I saw these after watching a few youtube car mechanics. There is a Chinese copy, cheaper but an electronic engineer reviewed the original and copy. The original was superior in build and light output
https://www.google.com/search?q=astr...obile&ie=UTF-8

ALi-B 17 February 2021 09:01 PM

Cheers I'll take a look :thumb:

RS_Matt 24 February 2021 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 12099209)

I've reviewed one work light to date and it was a £5 lemon

There are a lot of flashlights that work with a diffuser and also have a tripod mounting hole, some even have magnetic tail caps to aid diy. The ASTROLUX MF01S has 15000 lumens, tripod hole and optional diffuser, it will run at 380 lumens for some time with 4 x 18650 batteries 12000mAh. There's also a high cri variant for excellent colour reproduction. It is superb value with a good discount code and with a diffuser can fill any role, camping, hiking, DIY.

I've just reviewed this multipurpose fill light, that comes with diffuser, has high CRI LED's, magnetic tailcap, and can also run off USB TYPE-C for unlimited runtimes. 420 lumens gives you 7.5 hours and 90 lumens 37 hours, the output is variable though so you can run it at 250 lumens for approx 24 hours continuous. These lights are premium though and there is a small chance off receiving a faulty item such is the complexity of the torches/new tech.

RS_Matt 01 March 2021 05:35 PM

Just one more flashlight, give it to me....

actually two... I think I need to start selling a few

RS_Matt 17 April 2021 11:48 AM

Size o'that!!!!

RS_Matt 21 April 2021 10:29 PM

BEAST MODE

RS_Matt 28 April 2021 10:28 PM

For 150+ notes there should be no faults!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2Z1GJ9GyQI

hux309 02 May 2021 05:19 PM

It's an Imalent, there's going to be faults.

RS_Matt 27 November 2021 05:15 PM

This is an unbelievably powerful torch for the money!!!
Rated at 16,000 lumens but with high drain 21700 li-ion batteries I got 26,000 lumens, some on blf are getting even higher readings.

RS_Matt 09 February 2022 08:56 AM

I take out the World's BRIGHTEST pop can FLASHLIGHT and shine it into people's homes...
Is the MK38 featuring 41500 lumens, 800m throw, fandle and Micro-arc Oxidation worthy of the price tag?

RS_Matt 09 April 2022 09:55 AM

football stadium flashlight for the pocket

this light was fun but I'm a bit worried about the legality of my filming exploits. It was only 8.30pm but it felt very anti-social or ecologically unsound using it regardless of location

RS_Matt 17 June 2022 12:23 AM

Why is the vid of me getting shot in the nads getting more views than my torch vids?

Don't ask me how much I paid for those guns

RS_Matt 17 June 2022 10:28 PM

Talking of balls, don't let this turn on in your pocket!

RS_Matt 28 August 2022 03:11 PM

World's Brightest Power Bank lol

Lozgti2 28 August 2022 06:44 PM

Holy smoke !

RS_Matt 20 November 2022 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lozgti2 (Post 12124433)
Holy smoke !

This one is even more impressive imo

RS_Matt 20 February 2023 01:42 PM

Love this one!

...my 20yo poverty spec WRX is still going strong btw.