ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Evolution of the car previously known as the "ScoobyNet Spec C Project Car" (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/765495-evolution-of-the-car-previously-known-as-the-scoobynet-spec-c-project-car.html)

Neil.. 23 July 2010 08:37 PM

Indeed we do all get old, but admitting it and acting it are totally different things. :D

FWIW, I have a picnic blanket in my boot...:freak3:

TYPE R BRAD 23 July 2010 11:29 PM

Christ, finally just finished reading the whole write-up!

What a rollercoaster Shaun, think i've fallen in love:lol1:

Loving it:)

evonorth 25 July 2010 03:37 PM

Not in love with shaune,,errr

APIDavid 26 July 2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9510903)
roflol

Yeah... I had an email from Tracktive saying "Hmmmm does the new car come with a tartan travel rug on the back seat and a flask in the glove box!!!!". :cry:

We all get old I'm afraid. :D

'kin 'ell !!:eek:

not that 'kin old :nono:

rickya 26 July 2010 12:01 PM

Sad to hear the Scoobynet Project car is going, but good choice with new one:)
Goodluck & eagerly waiting for new Project thread to start!

BIG FUD 27 July 2010 09:48 AM

I was close to buying the spec c 3 times in the past i new shaun loved it as he changed his mind so often lol i now also have a hawkeye with standard spec,Hope you enjoy it shaun dont go to mad mate you will regret it and another 40-50k im sure would be hard to spend again.

fpan 27 July 2010 03:09 PM

Congratulation on the new car Shaun :)

evonorth 27 July 2010 04:59 PM

shaunee,, Why did you buy that horrible colour sti hawkeye mate
you will never beat a white hawkeye

Shaun 27 July 2010 07:25 PM

roflol @ Paul

Some will question that I am looking at another Subaru that is not that much younger than the one going out the door (although there are quite a few differences to warrant it). What would people think if I bought another white one! :D

IMO it is a bit more classy and quite a rare colour as it is not the straight silver. I love the gun metal grey of the EVO's and although this colour is not as dark as that, it is the best that Subaru do getting anywhere near that coloue.

Perhaps I am getting old and want to look more subdued rather than stand out. :D

Shaun 27 July 2010 07:34 PM

For comparison this is Premium Silver (image curtesy of Gussy - Hope you don't mind mate)

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y7...2/Dsc00355.jpg

This is obviously the Urban Grey (image is slightly over exposed, so slightly darker in reality)

http://www.shaunfennings.plus.com/jdmsti.jpg

Subtle difference but I personally like it. :)

Fai17 27 July 2010 07:45 PM

Urban gray was an A line colour,is that true Shaun?

Shaun 27 July 2010 08:52 PM

I'm getting confused myself now. lol

The paint code for the car is 48W, which relates to Crystal Grey on a paint code with one company but according to another site it is called Urban Grey.

**** knows... I know it aint Premium Silver though. :D

This is a S204 which is the same colour:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...04/S204019.jpg

scoobytyson 27 July 2010 09:55 PM

Dont get carried away with this one Shaun :thumb:, did you sell the spec c privately or trade it in against this car?

johnfelstead 28 July 2010 08:36 PM

Very nice choice Shaun. :D

Hammer man 28 July 2010 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9517598)

The paint code for the car is 48W, which relates to Crystal Grey on a paint code with one company but according to another site it is called Urban Grey.

It wont matter what colour it is in a year or two... you will have covered it in sponsers livery and advertising once API or Tractive have helped you turn it into a 600+ bhp monster:norty:.

evonorth 28 July 2010 09:15 PM

Shaune,
Did you not fancy a jdm hatchback in white or black
i think over here in the uk, That version is crying for a well tuned 1 to do

Shaun 28 July 2010 09:17 PM

John,
I'm joining the "old boy" crew now! ;)

Cliff,
A year or two???? Give me some credit. I was thinking more than "by March 2011". :D

Shaun 28 July 2010 09:33 PM

Paul,
I was offered one for an extremely good price (JDM Hatchback) at the back end of last year. In hindsight I should of bought it, but at the time I was all Spec C'd up. :) To be honest though I have always liked the Hawkeye THE best out of the Newages. This one came up, in the colour that I wanted (if I had the choice). It is always a lot easier to make your mind up when the right car comes along. I have umm'd and ahh'd many times before about getting shot of the Spec C, and I suspect because the car I really wanted was not on the table I always shy'd away from changing.

I was driving the Spec C last week and did think for a split second "what am I doing selling this", but in all honesty I know that what I am doing is the right thing to do, regarding a change now.

When I test drove the Hawkeye I thought.... Ahhh, this is utter luxury! Electric everything, quiet and aircon, but was still responsive/fast enough to bang me down the back lanes at crazy speed.

I have had two cars now that I have taken beyond 500bhp (RS500 and Spec C) and now had enough of "all that" for the time being. I feel happy that the Spec C finally showed it's worth last year, so feel I can at least go out with a smile. It's time to chill out a bit and enjoy the car/driving more..... well, until I get the urge again. :D

johnfelstead 28 July 2010 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9519404)
John,
I'm joining the "old boy" crew now! ;)

Comes to us all eventually. :D Doesnt mean you are any slower though, the wipper snappers dont have experience to hand. :D

I quite fancy an S204, nice colour combo and the interior is lovely, but the cost is just too great at the moment.

Shaun 28 July 2010 09:57 PM

Mmmm.... S204's are the mutts cosmetically! :)

jameswrx 29 July 2010 10:23 PM

Nice, love the colour!

dynamix 30 July 2010 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 9517598)

This is a S204 which is the same colour:

Will look good with a wide arch kit on it and a fire breathing engine Shaun.

Just found out yesterday from Paul that you had sold up - great choice on the replacement ... hawkeyes are best :thumb:

Must have been a hard choice though with the time and effort invested in your spec c but I think it is the right decision.

Onwards and upwards though - a few discrete mods on that and it will be an awesome road car.

Shaun 30 July 2010 06:08 PM

I suspect it would look good with a wide arch kit and fire breathing engine...... unfortunately I will never find that out! :D

As you say, I have thought for a long time that the Hawkeye's are the best cosmetically, of the Newages.

The choice in the end was not as hard as you may think. Time, effort and money aside to get you to this level (and beyond) is one thing, but it never stops there. Whilst you gain in one hand, you sacrifice some things in the other. Cars that have been taken to a bit of an extreme (and mine is quite mild compared to others) imo means you lose out in certain area's. Not one specific area does this on it's own, but if you look at it as a whole, these cars are no longer fuel it up and forget. Whilst it has certainly isn't anywhere near the stage where I have had enough of the car, I certainly want something different out of the car.

In relative terms the car has been extremely reliable, comparing spec, mileage and use. There is no reason why it should not continue to be reliable.

When all said and done though, I do not need the extreme that the car provides and as such want something that is more tailored to the use it will receive for 80% of my current remit.

The anticipation of a fuel it up and just drive are very appealing to me. I suspect anyone that has modified their Subaru to these kinds of levels and beyond will be able to relate to that.

I have put five years of my life in to this car and I will certainly be sad to see it go, but as you say onwards and upwards. Change can be a very good thing! :)

frayz 30 July 2010 06:34 PM

Theres alot to be said for that Shaun. I always wish i hadnt started and mines not even on the road yet!!

But modifying cars is something that some of us are just born with and will never change.

If someone gave me a Bugatti Veyron id find a way to tinker with it or make it different... just because thats what i like doing.

If people ask me if i could do it all again. I always say, just buy a JDM sti and take it to 400bhp and leave it alone. But could i actually practice what im preaching?

I doubt it if im honest.

Best of luck with your new ride :)

evonorth 03 August 2010 05:32 PM

Shaune
Have you picked it up yet mate
Did you trade the spec c in,,

Shaun 03 August 2010 07:26 PM

Paul,
First registration application is currently being made with the DVLA. As soon as this has been all sorted I will be picking the car up. The deal as regards to the Spec C will be traded at that point in time.

I hear that you and Rob are back to EVO's again!! ;) That didn't last long! :D

Shaun 13 August 2010 07:07 PM

Well I am nearing the end of ownership as the Spec C goes on Monday and the Hawkeye is picked up.

It's not all bad news as I have started a NEW Project Thread here -> https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...a-hawkeye.html

Let's see what we do with this next car! :norty:

gussy 13 August 2010 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=Shaun;9517378]For comparison this is Premium Silver (image curtesy of Gussy - Hope you don't mind mate)

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y7...2/Dsc00355.jpg

Just seen this shaun dont mind at all mate :) rare premium silver a bit like urban grey its the new white or is that blue :)

LukeyB 01 May 2014 04:50 PM

Stumbled across this thread this morning and I've literally just spent the best part of 5 hours reading through this thread, so long that i started to feel emotionally connected to the success of the spec-c despite having absolutely nothing to do with it haha. What a journey you went through with this, hats off to all that were involved. I've been saving up for an sti for 2 years now and as future Subaru owner this project was nothing short of inspiring but at the same time its got me thinking that I'm going to have to save up a WHOLE lot more as it seems its incredibly easy to dig deeper into your pockets than you ever initially intended. Think I'll have to check out the hawkeye project thread soon as well, just not today :P.
Btw apologies on reviving a 3 year old thread.

Shaun 03 May 2014 08:19 AM

Christ..... this ones been "dug up"! :D

So many great memories with this car and it still has a place in my stories to be told.

Glad you found it a good read and hope your future purchase brings you some smiles. This project was a bit extreme (at the time), but the Hawkeye project thread is a bit more down to earth. :)