ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   My sympathy is wearing thin... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/609661-my-sympathy-is-wearing-thin.html)

TelBoy 15 June 2007 09:27 AM

What was stupid was not using the baby listening service. That is undeniably indefensible.

Infractme! 15 June 2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 7023052)
So if your kids are playing in a field next to your house, are you not guilty of neglect whilst you can actually see them running about, but liable to the baying masses if something happens to them whilst they're climbing up a tree just out of sight or something similar?

In my mind i'd be VERY sorry if each and every case of something happening to kids while they weren't in literal eyesight of the parents became litigant. I hate nanny states.

I don't imagine I'd let children of that age play unsupervised in a field next to my house. We are talking about toddlers and pre-school children here.

Certainly not in a field almost a hundred meters away while I dined and drank occasionally going to check up on them when I felt I could drag myself away......

The parents are culpable here and a strong message needs to be sent out that it isn't acceptable.

TelBoy 15 June 2007 09:31 AM

Personally i think the profile fo the case has sent enough of a message to parents everywhere. I'm not sure that a prosecution would make much, if any, difference now.

Infractme! 15 June 2007 09:32 AM

Other than the fact you can abandon your children and get away with it scot-free.

TelBoy 15 June 2007 09:37 AM

Like i say, a witchhunt. Everybody KNOWS they've fcuked up, everybody KNOWS there's a case for prosecution, everybody KNOWS they're going to be subject to legal interrogation if they do something similar. I'm no laywer and probably a good thing, but as i say i don't believe throwing the book at the McCanns in this instance will be in anyone's interests, other than for those who want to see them punished further.

jjones 15 June 2007 09:51 AM

witchhunt? what are you on about? there is no witchhunt, they broke a law they get prosecuted. not rocket science is it.

TelBoy 15 June 2007 09:58 AM

We could go round in cirlces all day. Legally, you're correct, nobody's denying that. But "extraneous circumstances", "public interest", call it what you will. In my opinion it's not a straightforward black and white send-them-down case, that's all. Cheers.

jjones 15 June 2007 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 7023170)
"extraneous circumstances"

i would consider jumping a red light on the way to get someone to hospital with a life threatening injury to be "extraneous circumstances" not pissing off to the local pub to have a quiet pint and a tapas.

speedking 15 June 2007 01:00 PM

So all a drink driver has to do is carry his kid around in the car. If there's a serious accident and the kid dies then the driver shouldn't be prosecuted :rolleyes:

TelBoy 15 June 2007 01:04 PM

Of course they should. HTH

Trout 15 June 2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 7023170)
We could go round in cirlces all day. Legally, you're correct, nobody's denying that. But "extraneous circumstances", "public interest", call it what you will. In my opinion it's not a straightforward black and white send-them-down case, that's all. Cheers.

Extraneous circumstances apply to sentencing not prosecution.

They may be prosecuted and not receive a punitive sentence.

speedking 15 June 2007 01:05 PM

Douglasb post #35 here has reasonable statistics.

Say one child a week in the uk similar to Maddie.

SiPie 15 June 2007 01:14 PM

We could go round in cirlces all day.
Which is exactly what this thread is doing :rolleyes:

Flatcapdriver 15 June 2007 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 7023076)
Personally i think the profile fo the case has sent enough of a message to parents everywhere. I'm not sure that a prosecution would make much, if any, difference now.

Tel, I agree that a prosecution would serve no purpose and hopefully this will serve as a notice to other parents that this behaviour isn't acceptable, thus avoiding nanny state legislation to prevent it re-occurring.

However, there'd be a lot more sympathy for the family if they'd simply put up their hands and said what we did was careless and whilst we could never have foreseen an abduction, toddlers shouldn't be left unattended in situations like this.

douglasb 15 June 2007 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 7023747)
Douglasb post #35 here has reasonable statistics.

Say one child a week in the uk similar to Maddie.

Thanks, speedking. I find that figure a lot easier to believe.

So Snazy's 8 per hour only puts him 1343 per week out...

TelBoy 15 June 2007 02:11 PM

FCD, i hear what you're saying, but it just seems a little bizarre to me that your opinion of the parents would be swayed if they undertook some sort of public relations or awareness programme?? Do they HAVE to be put in the limelight any more than they have? I'm not sure whether they've ever actually cited what you want to hear publically but if they haven't then i'm pretty sure they're thinking along those lines at the very least!!

Flatcapdriver 15 June 2007 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 7023944)
FCD, i hear what you're saying, but it just seems a little bizarre to me that your opinion of the parents would be swayed if they undertook some sort of public relations or awareness programme?? Do they HAVE to be put in the limelight any more than they have? I'm not sure whether they've ever actually cited what you want to hear publically but if they haven't then i'm pretty sure they're thinking along those lines at the very least!!

Tel, its not neccessarily my opinion I'm stating but more of an attempt to explain why I think there is a lack of sympathy by many on here.

Personally, I disliked their initial attacks on the Police as if attempting to shift blame for their own irresponsibility. They alluded to windows that had been forced open which was later disproved - it almost seems as if they've tried to justify their inaction by coming up with excuses. Its linked to my current beef with people in the UK, many of whom seem incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions - someone else is always to blame.

ZIPPY 15 June 2007 04:02 PM

A point i would like to raise is, Where is the proof the girl has been abducted ?
We, the press, the world are taking the parents word that their daughter was abducted, there has been no factual proof she was abducted.

They admit Daddy was the last to see her in the room asleep, at conflicting times by the way and he telephoned his sister in the UK within minutes of the child dissapearing using the words ''Maddie has been abducted'' how many of us with children have used this word when one of your kids has gone into a friends house and not told you and you get that pannicky moment when you cant find them.
Missing maybe but not abducted, from moment one of all this, the father has never 'seemed' that upset to me.

Just my point of view of course and as a parent i would like a happy resolution but lets be honest do we honestly think its going to happen.

The Zohan 15 June 2007 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver (Post 7024082)
Tel, its not neccessarily my opinion I'm stating but more of an attempt to explain why I think there is a lack of sympathy by many on here.

Personally, I disliked their initial attacks on the Police as if attempting to shift blame for their own irresponsibility. They alluded to windows that had been forced open which was later disproved - it almost seems as if they've tried to justify their inaction by coming up with excuses. Its linked to my current beef with people in the UK, many of whom seem incapable of taking responsibility for their own actions - someone else is always to blame.

could nto agree more, more poeple need to take responsibility for their actions and the consequences of their actions, cause and effect and all that.

Sauron 15 June 2007 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Snug Rhino (Post 7022988)
If only they could build those places with doors and windows in the front as well.

Shame the kids were asleep in the back of the appartment, could not be seen from the bar.
Of course they must have Xray vision.