ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Winter Tyres ....... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/962626-winter-tyres.html)

Matteeboy 24 January 2013 07:40 PM

Arguments aside, what's the best type for a BM? Thinking Vred Wintracs?

davyboy 24 January 2013 07:43 PM

Pilot sport cups!

nik52wrx 24 January 2013 07:56 PM

Who would pay for the police, ambulance and fire service to kit all their vehicles out in winter tyres :wonder:

Nik.

Originally Posted by fpan (Post 10959307)
Trucks and buses don't use winter tyres, not sure why though, I guess because of the load they carry the winter tyres can't cope with it?

The UK temperature in winter is perfect for winter tyres: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...United_Kingdom

As previously mentioned winter tyres are not only necessary in snow, they provide improved grip when the average ambient has dropped below 10C or so.

c_maguire 24 January 2013 08:06 PM

Trucks and buses don't use winter tyres, not sure why though, I guess because of the load they carry the winter tyres can't cope with it?

The UK temperature in winter is perfect for winter tyres: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate...United_Kingdom

As previously mentioned winter tyres are not only necessary in snow, they provide improved grip when the average ambient has dropped below 10C or so.

If that's true then there's some irony in that in view of the fact that they appear to find it much harder to get around when conditions are bad than any other form of transport.
I would certainly object to mandatory enforcement if trucks are exempt.
Back in 2004 (or whenever it was it snowed in the South East and the whole place ground to a halt) it took me 18 hours to go 100 miles home from Heathrow (in my FWD car on Summer tyres of course) because first the A1 and then the M11 were completely blocked by trucks on slight inclines. First one gets stuck, second one tries middle lane and third one outside lane. End result, everyone is screwed.

c_maguire 24 January 2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 10959327)

Probably anything that makes you think ' Bloody hell, how much' .
You probably think that with your Summers though.

Look at the Auto Express 2011/12 Winter tyre test online. The same ones always figure.

fpan 24 January 2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by c_maguire (Post 10959388)
If that's true then there's some irony in that in view of the fact that they appear to find it much harder to get around when conditions are bad than any other form of transport.
I would certainly object to mandatory enforcement if trucks are exempt.
Back in 2004 (or whenever it was it snowed in the South East and the whole place ground to a halt) it took me 18 hours to go 100 miles home from Heathrow (in my FWD car on Summer tyres of course) because first the A1 and then the M11 were completely blocked by trucks on slight inclines. First one gets stuck, second one tries middle lane and third one outside lane. End result, everyone is screwed.

That's what happens when everyone thinks is Michael Sumacher.

The same would happen with cars albeit, you might have needed a steeper incline.

hodgy0_2 24 January 2013 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 10959327)

sorry, this is an arguments only thread

Matteeboy 24 January 2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 10959476)

I am inviting people to argue over what's the best Winter tyre...;)

f1_fan 24 January 2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mrmadcap (Post 10959284)
Yes that's right, it snows heavily all winter in Canada, where i live you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times it freezes never mind snows over one winter.

So in your case that's 6 :lol1:

davyboy 24 January 2013 10:11 PM

Not often I laugh at your posts, but that's a good'un!

Speaking my mate tonight who happens to have his own tyre fitting business. He told me he got stuck going up a street in his sprinter today due to snow. I asked if he had winter tyres on and he replied that he did but they were only at 4mm. I guess some of this is the low weight they have over rear wheels. Still, made me think of this thread.

Fat Boy 24 January 2013 10:18 PM

Oh no it isn't ...

Fat Boy 24 January 2013 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by davyboy (Post 10959705)
Not often I laugh at your posts, but that's a good'un!

Speaking my mate tonight who happens to have his own tyre fitting business. He told me he got stuck going up a street in his sprinter today due to snow. I asked if he had winter tyres on and he replied that he did but they were only at 4mm. I guess some of this is the low weight they have over rear wheels. Still, made me think of this thread.

Maybe he hasn't got the god like driving skills of the summer tyre ( premium, 4.753621mmm + tread minimum , etc , etc) brigade...

kbsub 25 January 2013 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by c_maguire (Post 10959283)
Probably something to do with the fact that this thread is debating whether there is a need for Winter tyres during a UK Winter rather than a Canadian one.
If Winter is the only requirement then they'd be using them on the Costa Blanca, which they aren't.

Sorry I thought you were taking about how good/bad winter tyres are working in winter conditions . Didn't realize snow and ice were different in different countries .

MrNoisy 25 January 2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by c_maguire (Post 10959189)
Quality Winter against quality Summer then yes we are.
Budget Winter against quality Summer then perhaps not.

More positive would be to place a minimum performance rating on Summer tyres to stop sales of all the cheap rubbish that so many are buying (and that garages also put on because there is either more profit or less loss in it for them).

I see you didn't read my post re my £110 a corner summer tyres vs my £60 a corner winter tyres then.
All of your posts on here are based on stuff you've read not experienced by what I can gather.

My advice would that unless you've actually experienced both then you accept the statements from people who have.
However your posts would also lead me to believe you're the sort of person who's so far up their own arse and thinks they're a driving legend that the only way you'd believe it would be for me to take your car and try and stop on sheet ice with your summer Pirelli whatverthe****youvefitted tyres on it.
You'd of course be looking ahead not that it would matter because if you're already on ice you still can't stop, and you'd slide straight into a wall damaging your car.

With the winters on you'd stop. Regardless of your driving style if you're saying you can stop on sheet ice by driving harder and looking ahead more you're full of it.
Like f1 fan I'm out, some people just can't accept that they don't know everything and you're clearly one of them. Ta ta.

MrNoisy 25 January 2013 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by c_maguire (Post 10959189)
Quality Winter against quality Summer then yes we are.
Budget Winter against quality Summer then perhaps not.

More positive would be to place a minimum performance rating on Summer tyres to stop sales of all the cheap rubbish that so many are buying (and that garages also put on because there is either more profit or less loss in it for them).

:lol1: of course - started by pslewis the biggest troll on here!

urban 25 January 2013 08:31 AM

Trucks and buses don't use winter tyres

Nor do emergency service vehicles.

where i live you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times it freezes never mind snows over one winter.

Same here.
None last year if I remember correctly and twice this year

Oldun 25 January 2013 09:55 AM

If you have winter tyres on and brake successfully and the car behind doesn't and rear ends you, that makes a negative for having them fitted.

urban 25 January 2013 10:04 AM

Anyway, you mainland boys are in for another fall of snow this weekend - dig deep and get some winter boots on

fpan 25 January 2013 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Oldun (Post 10960055)
If you have winter tyres on and brake successfully and the car behind doesn't and rear ends you, that makes a negative for having them fitted.

http://www.theagedp.com/wp-content/u...ispc026073.jpg

Infected by sti 25 January 2013 11:14 AM

:lol:

Matteeboy 25 January 2013 01:03 PM

Warmed up again here. Risk now low.

yellowvanman 25 January 2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldun (Post 10960055)

Lol, think that might make for the most ridiculous post yet on this thread.

Oldun 25 January 2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by yellowvanman (Post 10960260)
Lol, think that might make for the most ridiculous post yet on this thread.

So there's no chance of that situation happening?

fpan 25 January 2013 02:07 PM

Ignore the oldun he's trying to take the pi$$ it seems :D

If not I suggest him not to stop and run into others instead rather than others running into him.

That way he won't wear his brakes either ;)

Fat Boy 25 January 2013 02:13 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-21192969

Oldun 25 January 2013 02:15 PM

Did I say anywhere that I don't have winter tyres on?
I was merely pointing out one negative factor.

fpan 25 January 2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 10960346)

That's tragic :cry:

fpan 25 January 2013 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Oldun (Post 10960348)
Did I say anywhere that I don't have winter tyres on?
I was merely pointing out one negative factor.

To have better brakes than the car behind you or not to have?

urban 25 January 2013 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy (Post 10960346)

Why have you posted this?

Fat Boy 25 January 2013 03:33 PM

Because this tragic accident illustrates to me why economic arguments about appropriate tyres for the prevailing conditions are just fatuous hairsplitting nonsense.

My thoughts go out to the family