ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Stop giving your life to Jesus! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/1026662-stop-giving-your-life-to-jesus.html)

Maz 11 July 2015 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11709467)
I was 35, John.

https://www.scoobynet.com/1019401-go...l#post11622643

Probably the toughest challenge is that my partner is unsaved. I pray constantly for her.

There should be no compulsion in religion. Why do you consider your partner unsaved, doesn't her salvation lie in you?

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 11709471)
There should be no compulsion in religion.

As it says in the Qur'an. Nonetheless, it would be terrific for us to share the same reality.

Why do you consider your partner unsaved, doesn't her salvation lie in you?
Have a read of Corinthians 7.

john banks 11 July 2015 11:29 PM

Relatively dramatic conversion. Perhaps I found it easier to walk away as there wasn't apparently a big god shaped hole, just at 16 in the right fellowship it seemed to make sense and at 23 after marriage and about to do finals it didn't. Is your partner (wife?) unconvinced? Thankfully in our new marriage we discussed everything and reached the same conclusions. Partly the closeness of marriage reflected the sham in comparison that our faith was, but we didn't and don't idolise each other.

hodgy0_2 11 July 2015 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709453)
I was literally just about to post almost the exact same question, Hodgy.

Lol UC:thumb:, precisely, it was an obvious response

and I am quite interested in the answer

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 11709475)
Relatively dramatic conversion. Perhaps I found it easier to walk away as there wasn't apparently a big god shaped hole, just at 16 in the right fellowship it seemed to make sense and at 23 after marriage and about to do finals it didn't. Is your partner (wife?) unconvinced? Thankfully in our new marriage we discussed everything and reached the same conclusions. Partly the closeness of marriage reflected the sham in comparison that our faith was, but we didn't and don't idolise each other.

She's my partner of 12 years (we're living in sin :o). She does 'get' Christianity and sees the change in me, she also understands my relationship with God. I think she's simply unwilling to recognise her sin, that and The Lord has not graced her with faith at this time. She does say amen when I say grace and asks questions so I live in hope. I love her very much.

hodgy0_2 11 July 2015 11:43 PM

I am afraid You don't know what love is, you conflate it with fear,

You have not experienced love, because fear plays no part

Love knows no fear

I feel sorry for your partner to live her life in a baron relationship, devoid of true love imbibed with fear

Uncle Creepy 11 July 2015 11:46 PM

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709481)
I am afraid You don't know what love is, you conflate it with fear,

You have not experienced love, because fear plays no part

Love knows no fear

I feel sorry for your partner to live her life in a baron relationship, devoid of true love imbibed with fear

That's antagonistic, particularly personal and above all wrong.

Uncle Creepy 11 July 2015 11:50 PM

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709483)
JT - I honestly think it would be fruitless if we participated in a Q&A session; our views are clearly at opposite ends of the paradigm, and we're never going to agree or convince each other.

When you write about everyday matters, in my opinion you convey the impression of an intelligent and fair person. However, when you bring your religious beliefs into a discussion or use the Bible to justify your rationale, which you do rather frequently, it can just sound a bit off. Inevitable, surely, considering religious scripture is so out of touch with modern society in so many ways.

Just my perception, but I think you're so immersed in your belief system that you forget how strange and controversial some of your ideas can appear to others who do not feel the same as you. In fact, it can actually sound very condescending, just like your last sentence: "...my partner is unsaved. I pray constantly for her." This implies that she needs to be saved from something by God, and until that happens, she's somehow in peril. And that she needs you to pray for her, and you feel you must as you're worried about her because she has yet to discover Christianity. Do you see how that could be interpreted? Or maybe that is what you meant!?

Of course, but I have to speak from the heart.

Matteeboy 11 July 2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11709467)
I was 35, John.

https://www.scoobynet.com/1019401-go...l#post11622643

Probably the toughest challenge is that my partner is unsaved. I pray constantly for her.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...244d067745.jpg

hodgy0_2 11 July 2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11709484)
That's antagonistic, particularly personal and above all wrong.

In your heart you know it is true

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709485)
There you go again! :lol1:

Now you're implying that anybody who does not believe in God is a sinner! :nono:

We're all sinners, UC, it's just that some of us are sinners saved.

JTaylor 11 July 2015 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709488)
In your heart you know it is true

You're out of line here, Hodgy.

Uncle Creepy 11 July 2015 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709477)
Lol UC:thumb:, precisely, it was an obvious response

and I am quite interested in the answer

:) I don't think poor jonc thought before he typed!

hodgy0_2 12 July 2015 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by JTaylor (Post 11709490)
You're out of line here, Hodgy.

We had our village sports day today, I am on the committee, so had some involvement in organising it, the wellie throwing, the egg and spoon race the tennis competition

Obviously I had my wife and children there, taking part, enjoying it, laughing, loving it it all

I did wonder to my wife how beautiful they all are, how they compete, yet are mindful of others, how easy they are, how "uncomplicated" how beautifully gorgeous they are - no trickyness, no edge

And marvelled in how easy it is, with 5 children, no fear, just love

Because I love them from the deepest part of my heart, and I need not instil fear, because they love me - no fights, no angst, no friction, just love

I suspect you have no experience of this aching heartbraking love

hodgy0_2 12 July 2015 12:16 AM

And for that I do feel sorry for you

JTaylor 12 July 2015 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709498)
We had our village sports day today, I am on the committee, so had some involvement in organising it, the wellie throwing, the egg and spoon race the tennis competition

Obviously I had my wife and children there, taking part, enjoying it, laughing, loving it it all

I did wonder to my wife how beautiful they all are, how they compete, yet are mindful of others, how easy they are, how "uncomplicated" how beautifully gorgeous they are - no trickyness, no edge

And marvelled in how easy it is, with 5 children, no fear, just love

Because I love them from the deepest part of my heart, and I need not instil fear, because they love me - no fights, no angst, no friction, just love

I suspect you have no experience of this aching heartbraking love

As you said earlier, Hodgy, you're very blessed. I'm pleased for you and your family.

hodgy0_2 12 July 2015 12:19 AM

If I had a god I would pray for you

JTaylor 12 July 2015 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709501)
And for that I do feel sorry for you

Thank you, you're clearly very compassionate. However, I feel very blessed, too, so there's really no need for you to feel sorry for me.

JTaylor 12 July 2015 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709503)
If I had a god I would pray for you

Thank you. I'll pray for you, Hodgy. :)

hodgy0_2 12 July 2015 12:22 AM

No worries JT, you sleep tight :-)

daviee 12 July 2015 12:26 AM

I don't get the religion thing. living by the ramblings of some misinterpreted text from 2000 years ago.

As of tomorrow I think I will **** in my cave burn some witches or drown them give up wanking wearing condoms and murder some Christians and sleep with my 40 virgins. Job done.
:thumb:

Uncle Creepy 12 July 2015 12:42 AM

markjmd 12 July 2015 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709452)
Views on what, science or the nature of life, love and god

To use the example I did just earlier, Werner Heisenberg was a Nobel prize-winning physicist, but continued to be a Christian right to the end of his 50 or 60 year career in the field.. If we're to follow Uncle Creepy's lead though, it should have been impossible for anyone "to take him seriously", knowing he held those beliefs. Since no qualification or limitation was stated, presumably we'd have to believe nothing he ever did, Nobel work included, was to be trusted.

And he wonders why I labeled his point of view rigid?

jonc 12 July 2015 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 11709452)
Views on what, science or the nature of life, love and god

Any views; since UC makes no such distinction and asserts that even though he thought a person was once intelligent, that some how that since UC later learns that person is religious, that person's is no longer intelligent, eg, that some how due to Einstein's religous beliefs, that his intellect should no longer be respected and that his views and theories should no longer be taken seriously. I find that more startling.

markjmd 12 July 2015 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709483)
JT - I honestly think it would be fruitless if we participated in a Q&A session; our views are clearly at opposite ends of the paradigm, and we're never going to agree or convince each other.

When you write about everyday matters, in my opinion you convey the impression of an intelligent and fair person. However, when you bring your religious beliefs into a discussion or use the Bible to justify your rationale, which you do rather frequently, it can just sound a bit off. Inevitable, surely, considering religious scripture is so out of touch with modern society in so many ways.

Just my perception, but I think you're so immersed in your belief system that you forget how strange and controversial some of your ideas can appear to others who do not feel the same as you. In fact, it can actually sound very condescending, just like your last sentence: "...my partner is unsaved. I pray constantly for her." This implies that she needs to be saved from something by God, and until that happens, she's somehow in peril. And that she needs you to pray for her, and you feel you must as you're worried about her because she has yet to discover Christianity. Do you see how that could be interpreted? Or maybe that is what you meant!?

The fact you appear capable of feeling condescension on behalf of other people, at least where this topic is concerned, speaks volumes about how narrow in scope your acceptance of people's religious views really is, and how quick you are to take offence at anyone who dares express them.

daviee 12 July 2015 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11709514)
To use the example I did just earlier, Werner Heisenberg was a Nobel prize-winning physicist, but continued to be a Christian right to the end of his 50 or 60 year career in the field.. If we're to follow Uncle Creepy's lead though, it should have been impossible for anyone "to take him seriously", knowing he held those beliefs. Since no qualification or limitation was stated, presumably we'd have to believe nothing he ever did, Nobel work included, was to be trusted.

And he wonders why I labeled his point of view rigid?

Was he a religious Christian or a moralistic Christian ? I am the latter. I have more moralistic beliefs than religious beliefs.

markjmd 12 July 2015 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 11709518)
Any views; since UC makes no such distinction and asserts that even though he thought a person was once intelligent, that some how that since UC later learns that person is religious, that person's is no longer intelligent, eg, that some how due to Einstein's religous beliefs, that his intellect should no longer be respected and that his views and theories should no longer be taken seriously. I find that more startling.

Yup, that was exactly the way his post read to me too.

jonc 12 July 2015 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709295)
Yes, I find this startling, too. Quite recently I discovered somebody to be a religious nut whom I initially believed to be highly intelligent. I was a little shocked at first, and then felt quite disappointed, because I did respect him and his views on most things. But now I just can't take him seriously. It's a shame.

Originally Posted by Uncle Creepy (Post 11709491)
I don't think poor jonc thought before he typed!

So answer my question. I too would be interested in your response.