ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Any tips for bargain shares? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/900012-any-tips-for-bargain-shares.html)

TelBoy 04 October 2011 04:30 PM

It was horribly over-dramatic, just say it :D

JTaylor 04 October 2011 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 10266612)
It was horribly over-dramatic, just say it :D

Not horribly. ;)

tony de wonderful 04 October 2011 06:06 PM

Closed below 5000.

TelBoy 05 October 2011 08:15 AM

This made me laugh :lol1:

Chuck Norris and the Financial Crisis!!!

Chuck Norris doesn’t mark-to-market. The market marks to Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris doesn’t hedge . He waits.

Chuck Norris thinks Credit Crunch is a breakfast cereal

Chuck Norris trades on fear and greed simultaneously.

Chuck Norris can borrow at the discount window

Chuck Norris can sell $300bln in high yield loans before lunch

Chuck Norris’s curves are never inverted

Chuck Norris doesn’t target inflation. He roundhouse-kicks it until it begs for mercy.

The Chuck Norris dollar buys 3 Canadian dollars, and trades at parity with the euro.

Chuck Norris doesn’t supply collateral, only collateral damage.

The tears of Chuck Norris would supply enough liquidity to solve the credit crisis. Too bad he never cries.

When the yield on a Chuck Norris bond goes up, the price also rises.

Chuck Norris has already banked his dividend payment from Northern Rock Plc.

Chuck Norris doesn’t borrow at the Fed’s discount window. Chuck Norris LENDS at the Fed’s discount window.

There is no market regulator. Just a list of securities Chuck Norris allows to be traded.

Chuck Norris doesn’t buy gold to hedge against inflation. Gold buys Chuck Norris to hedge against inflation.

Chuck Norris charges the Bank of England a penalty rate for borrowing - And guarantees its deposits.

Chuck Norris gets ALL of his funding from the asset-backed commercial paper market.

When the U.S. economy sneezes, the world catches a cold. When Chuck Norris sneezes, the U.S. economy catches pneumonia.

Chuck Norris isn’t a market maker; he IS the market.

Chuck Norris subprime collateralized debt obligations still trade at 100 percent of face value.

:D

alloy 05 October 2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 10266793)
Closed below 5000.

Yes it did, but thats only significant to the media who dont know their ar5e from their elbow when it comes down to the markets. Yesterday closed 5-6 points shy of the 4950 level we talked about being significant, although below it it is marginal especially after such a volatile day :thumb:

Chip 27 October 2011 10:01 AM

Well I'm still waiting for everything to collapse. So come on all you experts when is it going to happen. :D

dpb 27 October 2011 01:36 PM

Sold 2 of my shares for smallish losses yesterday and this morning mainly out of frustration

Now of course theyre romping upwards :cry: :rolleyes:

Whats different about this particular sticking plaster on the euro !!

GlesgaKiss 27 October 2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chip (Post 10301957)
Well I'm still waiting for everything to collapse. So come on all you experts when is it going to happen. :D

Crisis averted. We're all rich!!!

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10302292)
Sold 2 of my shares for smallish losses yesterday and this morning mainly out of frustration

Always the way, me lud! Buy and hold... buy and hold. :D

hodgy0_2 27 October 2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 10302292)

remember - markets can stay irrational, longer than you can stay solvent

cookstar 25 November 2011 10:18 AM

Did anyone else jump on Thomas Cook? 50% in 24 hours. :norty:

Just sold, but think I should have held my bottle a little longer. :(

dpb 25 November 2011 01:17 PM

good for you , quite a dangerous stratergy given the state of everything at the moment

GlesgaKiss 03 January 2012 01:16 PM

Hello all,

Happy new year.

Afren getting a lift today (finally!) with better than expected production figures.

Could this be the start of a well-deserved stock market rally? Best to just forget the troubles of the last year, I reckon, and make this a good one. :D Europe? What Europe? This time next year we'll be millionaires.

Not forgetting the bet, Trout. ;) That's going to make up the first part of that million.

What about Vedanta? Seems to have been badly beaten up in recent times. Might be worth a look.

dpb 03 January 2012 04:36 PM

ahh Cock , Crnd didnt go under and i could have made all my cash back :cry: :rolleyes: :lol1: :cry:

GlesgaKiss 12 January 2012 12:58 PM

Tesco.

LeeMac 12 January 2012 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10426867)
Tesco.

+1

Skoobie Dhu 13 January 2012 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10408086)

Afren getting a lift today (finally!) with better than expected production figures.

Still rising, my 2nd largest holding:)

Held 1st tranche since 46p, 2nd tranche since 80p, but I'll gloss over my 3rd tranche @ 140p. Soon be back above 140p though - some further good news with this years drilling and the Kurdi PSC should see these well above 200p

Oil sector on a bit of a recovery - thankfully

J4CKO 13 January 2012 08:30 PM

Well, three years of 250 a month and my Sharesave has finished, nine grand doubled in three years and the shares well down on the high, have taken three grand out and am selling my car and having a bit of a change. Free money, cant beat it.

GlesgaKiss 14 January 2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu (Post 10429169)
Still rising, my 2nd largest holding:)

Held 1st tranche since 46p, 2nd tranche since 80p, but I'll gloss over my 3rd tranche @ 140p. Soon be back above 140p though - some further good news with this years drilling and the Kurdi PSC should see these well above 200p

Oil sector on a bit of a recovery - thankfully

You must still have a pretty decent average! My average is 85p.

Afren is actually my largest holding - had them for a few years now. Managed to transfer the lot into my investment ISA, so the gains (if/when they come again) will be tax free. :)

GlesgaKiss 14 January 2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 10429412)
Well, three years of 250 a month and my Sharesave has finished, nine grand doubled in three years and the shares well down on the high, have taken three grand out and am selling my car and having a bit of a change. Free money, cant beat it.

No you can't. Well done! Might as well enjoy it.

J4CKO 14 January 2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 10430264)
No you can't. Well done! Might as well enjoy it.

Not the sums some see on here and its been a bit of a slog putting it away but its looking good, sold three and a bit grands worth to have a change of car, left some in and just managed to get into the next one, forst one was 5.06 as a buy price, thats the one that matured and the new one is 6.74, currently tranding at just under a tenner, factor in (on the first one anyway) the bonus shares (i.e. interest) at 9.80 they doubled in value, very happy though they did hit 12.50 at one point last year but my dad always told me to take a profit and be grateful for it, so sold some, got a bit of cash and am now happy to let them sit there.

Sharesaves are great as effectively you get to watch the market for three years and dont have to buy at the end, you get to play Gordon Gecko :D for a few quid and learn a bit about trading with very little risk.

I see money as a trade off between enjoying it and planning for the future.

GlesgaKiss 14 January 2012 11:54 AM

They do seem to be a really good idea from what I've heard about them.

dj219957 14 January 2012 08:26 PM

complete newb to this - registered on london stock exchange website but how do i buy shares without using a broker? got £500 i want to have a punt with.

Chip 15 January 2012 11:31 AM

Banks will do it or why not open a trading account with your bank or TD Waterhouse as it makes it a lot easier to trade that way.

Chip

cookstar 15 January 2012 12:00 PM

I use share.com, I found them to be very easy to use.

dj219957 15 January 2012 04:27 PM

thanks guys