Canon 15-85 Lens repair - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Photography Hints, Tips and general help in the art of photography

Canon 15-85 Lens repair

Old 17 July 2016, 12:13 AM   #1
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Default Canon 15-85 Lens repair

While on holiday my Canon 15-85 decided to pack up, giving a Err 01 message when I fully press the shutter release button, I cleaned the lens and camera contacts and all was fine for a few more shots, then the fault re-occurred. I am fairly sure the fault is with the lens as my 50mm and 75-300 lens work fine.

I really like this lens, and have read that it is possible to repair, my question is whether anyone in the photography section can recommend an a good independent repair person in the UK who would take this on and warranty the repair.

From what I have read canon will want the camera and lens shipped to them, while I don't mind shipping what is essentially a defunct lens, I don't want to risk sending a working body in the post if I don't need to.
tarmac terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I had what I reckon is the same problem with my 15-85mm Canon lens. It is undoubtedly the apeture flex. Very common problem sadly though Canon don't admit to any design fault.

I took mine here;

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

I've used them a few times and only ever had excellent service and very good advice. I had them post a lens back to me and it was very , very well wrapped.
Rescue Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 01:48 PM   #3
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Tried Lehmanns and a few others without success - they were of the opinion spares would be difficult to obtan and costs would take this lens to write off point.

I wanted it repaired, so sourced the aperture flex and ring assembly from Hong Kong, and set about doing this myself on Saturday evening.

It took around 2 hours, of making lots of notes about how things came apart and went back together, and cleaning the lenses and connectors as I went along. I cant see the actual fault with the ribbon cable, I might test continuity on this to see if the cable itself is actually fractured. Total cost was 12 and two hours of my time. I have taken 100 test shots with the lens after repair and reassemby, just to ensure it is behaving as expected, and I cant complain. Previously i would have got an error at the point where I moved from wide angle to full zoom.

Name:  DSC_0194_zpseckexcti.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0195_zpswcdm2yxl.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  103.6 KB

Last edited by tarmac terror; 22 August 2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 22 August 2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Well done.

Surprised about Lehmanns. They did mine a year or two ago without problem. Think they charged about 100?

The fault is supposedly caused by the creases in the wiring of the flex ring Where it is turned at angles to fit........If you know what I mean?
Rescue Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 05:58 PM   #5
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Yeah - should have photographed that, the cable gets bent in half where it attaches to a small brass clip which holds it in place, and there is a metal splint which screws to the ring and is bonded to the cable to support it as it lengthens and shortens when the lens moves from wide angle to zoom. I contemplated leaving the brass part out during reassembly, but thought if the original part endured for 8 years, it will probably be ok, and it may prevent the cable getting snagged elsewhere.

There is a guy in Australia who is doing a lot of these having done his own, he advised on buying the assembly as opposed to just the cable, as too much heat when soldering the cable, works the pins loose in the ring causing another problem.

Was as interesting learning experience - thanks for the pointer to the fault, much appreciated.