getting started - Subaru Enthusiast Forum - ScoobyNet.com

Photography Hints, Tips and general help in the art of photography

getting started

Old 02 December 2015, 07:07 PM   #1
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

Default getting started

having only used fairly simple point and shoot compact cameras, after the birth of our daughter; my wife and I find ourselves wanting to take more and better photos
I'm an utter novice but my wife has a bit more experience, having access to a canon eos (assuming some sort of bridge camera, she doesn't know the model!) at work
a friend has kindly lent us the use of a samsung nx10 with an 18-55 lens (he's upgraded to an nx galaxy) we are finding it quite user friendly and the images are certainly better than what we're used to
we are a bit of a samsung family as far as household electronics go but seeing as the nx is getting on a bit we were wondering what would be a good starting point?? we're quite tempted by the galaxy too.....
we may end up going all David Bailey and really getting into it but a reasonable camera that we can take decent pictures with is all we're after
a bridge camera?? 400ish?? a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
beef-on-the-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
hux309
Also known as daz

All depends really, I have a Samsung Nx3000 that I'm willing to part with for 120, it's good as a starter dslr, I'm fairly local if you fancied a play?

It all boils down as to how much you want from it really.
If you plan on taking the odd pot shot than a bridge camera would be fine, but if you want to take things further than you really can't beat a dslr.
I'll be about Saturday if you want to see my Samsung, or have a play with the opposite end my Pentax K3 with hopefully my limited lens.
hux309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2015, 08:38 PM   #3
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

wow, very kind of you sir! i'm in fraddon, but saturday is football day, so bit busy!
i think the nx3000 is a bit close to the compact we've had before, the wife seems keen on the slr style camera such as the nx10/20/30/galaxy or eos she uses, are these not a bridge camera? excuse my ignorance!!

whereabouts are you then? what you driving?? not been in a scoob for a while now, miss it
Old 02 December 2015, 09:03 PM   #4
hux309
Also known as daz

Redruth, citroen c3 hdi i do miss the scoob but the hdi is pretty nippy.

Well i could manage a sunday, but might be time limited anyway offers there.
There is the pentax K5, you might be able to get one at around 400 with a kit lens, great camera and deals are always around.
Truth be told you're better off having a play and see how you get on.

Had a play with canikon and truth be told i didn't get on, the pentax i love and they're weather sealed to boot.
Associated photography in falmouth is a dealer, it's where i got my K3 and he's a great guy.

Bridge cameras are a step up from small compacts, usually have some daft 60x zoom they look inbetween a dslr/compact usually have extra features that a dslr would but no changeable lens.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Br...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Last edited by hux309; 02 December 2015 at 09:13 PM.
hux309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2015, 12:25 PM   #5
alcazar
Orange Club

What are you using at present?

In almost all cases, the lens makes the difference. So go with someone who has lens experience: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, or the Japanese giants who BOUGHT in lens experience, Panasonic, who bought Leica, Sony who bought Carl Zeiss.

Steer clear of electronics manufacturers with no decent lenses, so casio, samsung, etc etc.

I have two cameras, a Nikon d300 DSLR with three lenses, one of which worth almost as much as the camera body was, and a Panasonic Lumix TZ40 with Leica lens.

Of the two, almost 100% of my pics are now taken with the Lumix......it's so much lighter, smaller, easier to take with me, easy to use, quick, and has all sorts of trickery in the electronics to take back-lit shots etc, plus it will do almost all the Nikon does.

The latest TZ70 is even better and is now around 265.

These four taken in France with the Lumix:

Not done anything to any pic except upload. The last one is on 20x zoom, the TZ70 has a 30x!!!

Last edited by alcazar; 03 December 2015 at 12:27 PM.
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 December 2015, 07:33 PM   #6
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

have been using a borrowed samsung nx10 and the wife also has access to a cannon eos at work.
so i think we have been dipping into the baby end of the dslr market
Old 06 December 2015, 06:28 PM   #7
alcazar
Orange Club

Agreed...but do you NEED a DSLR?

90% of pics can be taken just as well with one like my Lumix.

My DSLR hardly goes out now, it's just too heavy to lug.
alcazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Devildog
Responsible Rottie Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone View Post

having only used fairly simple point and shoot compact cameras, after the birth of our daughter; my wife and I find ourselves wanting to take more and better photos
I'm an utter novice but my wife has a bit more experience, having access to a canon eos (assuming some sort of bridge camera, she doesn't know the model!) at work
a friend has kindly lent us the use of a samsung nx10 with an 18-55 lens (he's upgraded to an nx galaxy) we are finding it quite user friendly and the images are certainly better than what we're used to
we are a bit of a samsung family as far as household electronics go but seeing as the nx is getting on a bit we were wondering what would be a good starting point?? we're quite tempted by the galaxy too.....
we may end up going all David Bailey and really getting into it but a reasonable camera that we can take decent pictures with is all we're after
a bridge camera?? 400ish?? a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated
I've been using SLR and then DSLR cameras for years. First Nikon then Canon.

I've just sold all my Canon gear because (as Alcazar has pointed out) it was too big and heavy to lug about with me all the time. I had a pro level 1 series Canon body which was brilliant at what it did but huge. One of my lenses was almost 1.5 kg. As a result it wasn't getting used.

I'm now looking at compact system cameras - the Olympus OM -D range in particular. Operate much like a DSLR and with interchangeable lenses but smaller and mirror less.

Personally I'd avoid so called bridge cameras. Too many compromises in image quality. I'd also avoid fully fledged DSLRs. Even the smallest are quite chunky by comparison. And basic kit lenses are often not the best.

Your budget wouldn't stretch to a decent DSLR lens, let alone a body +decent lens package.

Have a look at compact system cameras. Plenty within your price range.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 March 2016, 08:32 PM   #9
bootsy
www.clubljp.co.uk

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i'm another convert from canon dslr's. after years of dragging a heavy bag about filled with L glass which is all top quality,big and heavy. after selling all the canon kit off i made the switch to Olympus and brought a em1 along with a 12-40, 40-150, 60mm macro and a 45mm. my bag is now a lot lighter i was semi pro with canon kit and still selling images/prints using Olympus kit. so for me the quality still there.
bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 11:02 PM   #10
Nick
Scooby Senior

Did you end up getting something?

If not, I'd suggest a Nikon D3300 with either the kit zoom, a 50mm, or maybe the 40mm macro lens. What sort of photography do you think you'd like to try?

Nikon D810 + Nikkor 105mm micro

Last edited by Nick; 13 March 2016 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Add photo
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2016, 04:19 AM   #11
Rickardo
Scooby Newbie

I used a Nikon D3300 when I was starting out. It is light and very easy to use and well built. Because of its 24MP sensor you can take clear photos in any type of light. I will upload some of the photos real soon
Rickardo is offline   Reply With Quote