Notices
Other Marques This forum contains only cars offered for sale by our members.

MK1 Focus RS - part ex on a blob please!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2013, 06:48 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MK1 Focus RS - part ex on a blob please!

Hi guys,

Well, I'm coming back to Subaru ownership after a couple of years out (a friend told me i'd come back eventually but I always rubbished that away......and here I am lol!!) I'm looking to part ex my MK1 Focus RS against a nice blob sti, but more about that later!! Anyhow, heres the specs of the RS!!

My RS is totally standard except for a few class exterior mods. Engine and interior are completely standard (quite rare these days!!).......

2003 / 53 Mk1 Ford focus RS in ford racing blue,

69,000 miles (will rise ever so slightly)

Number 2177 of 4501 built,

Full ford service history, except the last one, which was carried out by Paul of Extreme Scoobies as he's my usual mechanic / family friend. I've no doubt most of you know how good he is!!

3 previous owners. 6 months tax, 6 months MOT. Hpi clear (feel free to carry out your own check though

I have both key fobs and both GT alarm fobs!!

The Mk1 Focus RS has the following spec as standard....

2.0 16v Duratec RS lump with GT25 turbo.
212 bhp and 229lb/ft @ 3500rpm,
Quaife limited slip diff,
Brembo front brakes,
AP racing clutch,
Bespoke OZ racing 5-spoke 18" alloys
Sparco interior styling including leather / alacantra bucket seats and sparco handbrake and gearknob (seats are mint, no marks at all)
Real carbon fibre gear surround with numbered plaque,
Engine start button,
Ford in-dash 6-disc changer with steering column controls.
Two tone blue/black steering wheel

So, thats the interior. Now the exterior......

Gleaming ford racing blue paint. Wonderful color and looks different depending on the light. I have added the following......

1). Genuine ford focus ST170 darkened headlights (fully road legal)
2). Tinted front and side indicator lights
3). Pumaspeed front lip
4). Tinted rear light clusters (fully road legal)
5). Tinted lower rear fog /reverse lights
6). I have had the OZ alloys fully proffesionally refurbed in anthracite by 'AlloyArt' in Southend Essex. All receipts present.
7). 'RS' badge added to the front upper grille.
8). Color-coded door handles - great mod on the RS and pretty rare.

The paintwork is very good, however, this is a 10 year old car and there are the usual stonechips on the bonnet (not excessive) and the rear arches. However, this RS still has the rear arch protectors on it. This is very rare. Most had them peeled off at some point! Underneath the protectors, the paint is how it was from the factory!!! There is a small scratch on the rear bumper, but not very noticeable. Smal bit of lacquer peel on the brembos.

Any test drive welcome guys. No plume of smoke on startup, car starts on the beat, first time every time. No smoke under boost / heavy acceleration. Pads and discs are great, the car brakes in a nice straight line. Handbrake nice and tight. All tyres have loads of tread left. Car only driven at weekends. More pics to come as its being properly cleaned this week!!!.....

So, as said guys, I'm after another scooby. I am after a blob Sti. It must be low mileage with full service history and in excellent condition cosmetically, however, I do understand that blobs are 10 years old now! Any color except black. I'd be happy with a WR1 too. Car must be totally standard engine wise. No remaps, loud exhausts, dump valves etc. I would prefer the car to be the widetrack with DCCD but this isn't essential. No stripped out track cars either please. Standard interior but not too fussed if it has an uprated stereo or defi's!! Obviously cash your way for the right car too!!!!

Phew, I think thats it lol!! Please feel free to PM me or text / call me on 07780116701. Car is located in Essex, however, I'm willing to travel up to circa 100 miles or so for the right car!!

Last edited by Peedee; 03 March 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03 March 2013, 07:19 PM
ae82mad
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice motor. Out of interest , what would you value it at? Glwts.
Old 03 March 2013, 08:03 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ae82mad
Nice motor. Out of interest , what would you value it at? Glwts.
Thanks very much!!.

I value it at approx £8000. There are higher mileage examples for even more than this, but then there are some that are less. I'd like to think I have the estimate about right!!

Last edited by Peedee; 05 March 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06 March 2013, 07:11 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Nice standard RS there. I used to have one of these too! Brilliant cars! This a Phase1 or Phase2?

P.s - Colour is Imperial Blue not Ford Racing Blue

GLWS
Old 06 March 2013, 10:41 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan-STi
Nice standard RS there. I used to have one of these too! Brilliant cars! This a Phase1 or Phase2?

P.s - Colour is Imperial Blue not Ford Racing Blue

GLWS
Thanks mate! Haha I was torn between which color to state! I like the RS, but its just not nippy enough for me. I'm off to look at a low mileage bug sti this weekend...fingers crossed!!

Technically there are no such things as 'phase 1 and 2' cars. Loads of arguments about this on the RS owners forum. Its all to do with the pink throttle grommet, double stitched seat bases, 'engine start' sticker on the button and a few other small things.

Last edited by Peedee; 06 March 2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06 March 2013, 10:47 PM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
Thanks mate! Haha I was torn between which color to state! I like the RS, but its just not nippy enough for me. I'm off to look at a low mileage bug sti this weekend...fingers crossed!!

Technically there are no such things as 'phase 1 and 2' cars. Loads of arguments about this on the RS owners forum. Its all to do with the pink throttle grommet, double stitched seat bases, 'engine start' sticker on the button and a few other small things.
Why don't you modify it? I had a 320bhp one and it was plenty quick enough!
Haha.. Well technically, yes. But it's always funny to discuss as usually the ppl that insist there isn't are usually the ppl that have the "phase 1" with no updated parts, and get annoyed that there is a newer or better spec lol
Old 07 March 2013, 08:37 AM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan-STi
Why don't you modify it? I had a 320bhp one and it was plenty quick enough!
Haha.. Well technically, yes. But it's always funny to discuss as usually the ppl that insist there isn't are usually the ppl that have the "phase 1" with no updated parts, and get annoyed that there is a newer or better spec lol

They respond well to mapping, but its still a front wheel drive car with an ancient diff in it.
I cant understand spending so much when your car is still front wheel drive lol.

Haha and ur spot on about the guys with the 'phase 1' cars mate.
Old 07 March 2013, 09:31 AM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

i miss my old FRS i will have another one day.... but they handle the power really well up to around 350bhp.... if you want to go more like a few people put in a kazz diff and it managed itself just fine even though its still FWD....
Old 07 March 2013, 04:46 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash170990
i miss my old FRS i will have another one day.... but they handle the power really well up to around 350bhp.... if you want to go more like a few people put in a kazz diff and it managed itself just fine even though its still FWD....
Very true mate, but then thats a fairly substantial amount of money I could be putting towards a blob. A blob sti with ppp will still be a fair bit quicker to 60 than a 350 RS, and thats in standard form (even though theres plenty of folk on the RS forum that truly believe they can beat 400bhp evo's??). Getting the RS to 350 involves a fair bit of modding i.e tubular mani, gt28, mapping, full system with decat, fmic etc. Even though the standard internals of the RS are strong, 350 is getting near their limit, and then you have the supporting mods i.e better tyres / brakes etc. Starts adding up to thousands....money that could easily buy a nice mint low mileage blob.
Old 07 March 2013, 04:52 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Very true mate, but then thats a fairly substantial amount of money I could be putting towards a blob. A blob sti with ppp will still be a fair bit quicker to 60 than a 350 RS, and thats in standard form (even though theres plenty of folk on the RS forum that truly believe they can beat 400bhp evo's??). Getting the RS to 350 involves a fair bit of modding i.e tubular mani, gt28, mapping, full system with decat, fmic etc. Even though the standard internals of the RS are strong, 350 is getting near their limit, and then you have the supporting mods i.e better tyres / brakes etc. Starts adding up to thousands....money that could easily buy a nice mint low mileage blob.
yeah the RS's are more expensive to mod, but not that much is needed, turbo upgrade (hybrid will handle 350) full exhaust, sabre remap, air filter and upgraded actuator will see close to 350, standard internals start to let go around 380 so still fairly safe...

again yeah the scoob will be quicker from 0-60 but RS would be quicker 30-130 or in the real world once rolling

Each to their own and all that, i would love another mk1, just tyring to find a nice one these days, all the nice ones sell around £12k and even i as an RS fan wouldnt pay that....
Old 07 March 2013, 08:05 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

yeah the RS's are more expensive to mod, but not that much is needed, turbo upgrade (hybrid will handle 350) full exhaust, sabre remap, air filter and upgraded actuator will see close to 350, standard internals start to let go around 380 so still fairly safe...

again yeah the scoob will be quicker from 0-60 but RS would be quicker 30-130 or in the real world once rolling

Each to their own and all that, i would love another mk1, just tyring to find a nice one these days, all the nice ones sell around £12k and even i as an RS fan wouldnt pay that....
True, although the RS just doesn't have the drama of the scooby....imo (other will say different). I don't like the seating position either. Far too high for my liking. Like the look of the RS and how it corners well, but it just doesn't have that spark for me that my scoobs had!

Haha buy mine mate, perfect base for modding
Old 07 March 2013, 11:29 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

True, although the RS just doesn't have the drama of the scooby....imo (other will say different). I don't like the seating position either. Far too high for my liking. Like the look of the RS and how it corners well, but it just doesn't have that spark for me that my scoobs had!

lol see i think its the other way round lol the scoob doesnt have the character the RS's have lol and seating its far to high in the scoob lol

cant afford one at the mo but i will have another one day
Old 08 March 2013, 06:45 AM
Ryan-STi
Scooby Regular

lol see i think its the other way round lol the scoob doesnt have the character the RS's have lol and seating its far to high in the scoob lol

cant afford one at the mo but i will have another one day
I agree with Ash here, the scoob just doesn't have that feeling of the RS. There's more drama on the RS then in my 300bhp blob. Plus as mentioned.. The RS isn't that bad to mod.. Hybrid, exhaust, mani, remap, induction an actuator and 350 is achievable! Standard internals are fine to 380. And I've seen it first hand mate.. 350bhp RS's do see off a lot more than you would expect! There so underestimated its ridiculous! They only weigh 1280! Very light car for what it is. An it DOES get the power down, it's never going to be better off the line than a 4wd car.. BUT, in the real world exact 0-60 figure don't mean ****. But as said 30-150 is where the RS would disappear!
Old 09 March 2013, 02:35 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Please remove ad mods.

RS sold, JDM blob on the way!!
Old 09 March 2013, 02:45 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate, decent ones are never around long (y)
Old 09 March 2013, 03:06 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate, decent ones are never around long (y)
Cheers mate! Are u meaning decent jdm's or decent rs'?
Old 09 March 2013, 03:12 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

RS's lol
Old 09 March 2013, 03:14 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

RS's lol
Yeah they seem to go fairly quickly like. A lot of dogs around unfortunately so good ones are few and far between! Plus a fair few have been written off over the years!!