Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ford focus keyless starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2013, 11:29 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford focus keyless starting problems.

Hi,
Today went to my car a 2010 ford focus with keyless entry/start etc and door opened as normal but once inside I pressed the start button to start car and nothing, no dashboard lights, nothing not even interior lights came on.

The battery in remote is only a few months old as the last one went a bit low on the power and the car told me to change battery in keyfob as it was low voltage, fair enough, so put new battery in keyfob, but not had no message on friday last week when i last used car and in checking battery tonight its giving out 2.97v so thats ok still.

Tried that car again tonight when back from work and still no luck, prised the cover off the steering lock and put key in their and pressed start button to see if that would start car but still nothing, no lights on dash not interior lights on etc.

before I get AA out tomorrow anyone have any idea what it could be or if i can easily fix it?
Old 10 December 2013, 01:19 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

needs a fault reader put on it IMO, was the fob in your pocket with your phone? RF / nfc interference maybe

Does it happen with the other fob too? seem to remember something similar with my '09 Fiesta, hence last question.
Old 10 December 2013, 05:37 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Had this a few times with the rs.
I used to re lock the car with the fob whilst sat in it and press to re open.
I also had the 'key outside car' come up on the dash when it wasn't and also 'key not found' or whatever it said?

If I was you I'd go have it plugged in....could be a clutch switch or the car just not picking the key signal up
Old 10 December 2013, 07:48 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

AA man just been out and it was a totally flat car battery, but what bugs me now is car has always been a very good starter, can be left for days on end and start soon as you hit the button.

So would an apparent good battery suddenly become knackered after 3 days non use or have I got a drain on it somewhere which flattened it over weekend, if so its finding what drained it.

AA man said give it a good run and see what happens may be a cell in battery on its way out but as I said always been a very good starter and don't want to go spend £100 on a new battery to find its something draining battery instead.

But with so many electric items on a modern car apart from if its something obvious like the interior light left on how do you go about finding if something is draining battery?

p..s interior light was left on btw either.
Old 10 December 2013, 10:59 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Update, without keys in pocket I went back to car after an hour and peered in through window and noticed the centre panel on dashboard was still lit, so obviously this is what is draining battery on car.

So car is now at ford garage awaiting diagnostic check sometime tomorrow, so wonder what outcome will be as to why dash is staying illuminated and how expensive it will turn out.
Old 16 December 2013, 01:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Ahh; you car isn't going to sleep. That'll be fun for the dealers to diagnose: Like most modern vehicles there a network of controllers, and commands are given to wake them up and send them to sleep.

Last time I had that problem was a Merc SL55 with soggy (corroded) CAN bus connectors.

Last edited by ALi-B; 16 December 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old 16 December 2013, 03:05 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Found the problem myself, it was the USB stick with my music on that I leave plugged in all time, been left in car for about 18 months no problem, but for some reason since I had formatted it and added new music it decided that it was going to keep dashboard lights on all time.

So now I have unplugged that all is well