Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RS Focus

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2013, 01:58 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Focus

Whats peoples views on the MKII RS? Still undecided on Evo,Scooby or RS. I know there only fwd and it can be a issue in the wet, my 280bhp Focus ST was useless in the wet and i expect similar with the RS. Probably looking at 17k for a decent one though which is a issue. Thats more than the money needed to get a mint STI hatch or a Evo X
Old 29 March 2013, 02:40 PM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Been there done it mate my advice would buy an X if you want to spend the money or get a nice 8mr and put the rest in the bank..
Old 29 March 2013, 02:45 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard they're **** in gears 1, 2 and 3.

Go for AWD if you want a fast car....

How about the newer Audi S3 if you're looking to spend that much?
Old 29 March 2013, 02:55 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Wife dosnt like look of the older Evos, and I think the interiors are very dated. Cheaper tax & insurance on RS but it dosnt out weigh the purchase cost. I only do about 6k a year so I guess fuel & service costs ain't a issue. Not looked at a S3 to be honest
Old 29 March 2013, 03:08 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Doesn't matter how fancy a diff / suspension setup is, getting that sort of power down in a FWD car is nigh on impossible, especially in the wet.

I'd be safe in the knowledge that my mildly tuned JDM blob sti, at less than half the price of an RS, is a lot quicker, just as practical and prob costs the same to maintain. Probably a bit thirstier than the RS granted, but surely mpg is irrelevant when buying a performance car?

I'd personally go for a tuned mk1 RS over a mk2.
Old 29 March 2013, 03:14 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

My WRX PPP was a great car and i loved every minute i had it, but if i did get another scooby it would have to be a hatch, think even the hawkeye looks so dated inside. I could be tempted by a RB320 though
Old 29 March 2013, 04:57 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LSherratt
I've heard they're **** in gears 1, 2 and 3.
Yep - that's pretty much about the height of it
Old 29 March 2013, 05:11 PM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Not at all 3rd they absoloutley fly
Old 29 March 2013, 05:16 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Or do I buy a mint Hawkeye, and save money which could be used on mods & fuel 😉
Old 29 March 2013, 05:52 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I really suggest you check out the newer S3 models. The 5 door ones look pretty big and practical.
Old 29 March 2013, 06:21 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Just can't see the point in buying a massively over-priced focus. 20k??!!!! That's for an average one too. Decent one will cost a couple grand more. Could get a serious car for that sorta money, not a chavved-up focus.

RS4
S3
Almost any Subaru or Evo
Mint M3 CS
Etc etc

Or a bright green focus? Lol

Last edited by Peedee; 29 March 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 29 March 2013, 07:59 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

My sister has a Focus, and TBH the interior is very cheap & nasty. The RS is nothing different, but a few RS badges and Sporty seats.

As for that much power and only FWD? I had a MK1 Focus RS, and got sick of wheelspinning in the wet.

For an everyday all year car, I'd always go AWD. As suggested, an Audi S3 would be a fantastic car. Maybe not the most fun thing on the road, but it ain't slow, and will cover ground very rapidly. You'd also get the best interior out of all the cars listed above, and probably the best residuals and feel good factor.
Old 30 March 2013, 12:49 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Let us know what you decide in the end
Old 30 March 2013, 01:06 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Dont like to admit it but Mrs Boy has input, and she says if it aint a RS its either Scooby hatch or Evo X. Ive looked at the S3 now and while it is typical german its not my type of car.
Old 30 March 2013, 01:29 PM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Forged hatch in the classifieds
Old 30 March 2013, 02:14 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Yeah I said I would show restraint due to starting a new job, would be good to have one by July for Modified Live
Old 30 March 2013, 02:22 PM
Ash170990
Scooby Regular

Mk2 frs for me, id go back to one in a flash if i could buy one out right, but dont want finance again, so scoob will do for now....

I dont knw what there on about **** gears? The torque is limited in 1st and second to try stop the wheels spinning, but as said, in third they fly!

Obviously in the wet you wnt be able to put the power down as well as 4wd, but drive it smoothly and you will still fly!

They do have there down points, but so does every car... Id go for the rs over the scoob purley for the soul the car has which you dont get with scoobys... And the fact you dont see them anywhere near as often as scoobies lol

But then id also go for a well sorted mk1 frs over the mark2 as there more of a drivers car.....
Old 30 March 2013, 03:13 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Tbh Ash I see more focus rs mk1 & mk2 by me than any scoobs and that's no lie, I can count on 1 hand the amount of scoobs I see compare to the focus rs, but then again its a bit hard to miss a bright green one I suppose by me I have within a 1 mile radius approx 3 green ones, 1 mat black one, 2 white ones and that's what I've seen, they are starting to pop up more often around the place.

I like the focus mind that 5 pot makes a hell of a grumble, and my mates mk1 rs is a flyer as well in all fairness but as said only when you get the power down but its certainly entertaining and the idiots who watch on think its great seeing it wheel spinning everywhere, " durrrr that's got some power, look at it spin" but when it does catch grip its gone........

Would I buy one, quite possibly just to say I've had one, but as a keeper I'm not so sure, it would do my head in having the power there but not being able to use it, and constantly ripping my tyres to pieces
Old 30 March 2013, 03:13 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

"I'd go for the RS over the Scoob purely for the soul of the car which you don't get with the Scoobys". FFS what planet do you live on and why do you drive one?
Old 30 March 2013, 04:36 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

More Subarus in and around Halifax, although if i dont count the heaps of crap then its probably even. Very few decent scoobys
Old 30 March 2013, 05:04 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
"I'd go for the RS over the Scoob purely for the soul of the car which you don't get with the Scoobys". FFS what planet do you live on and why do you drive one?
I have just come from a mk1 RS. IMO, it didn't have a great deal of 'soul'. Felt like a normal focus but with more grunt and a stupidly high seating position.
Old 30 March 2013, 07:51 PM
djr
Scooby Regular

the mk2 focus rs is a fantasic car i work for a ford garage but we also have a subaru dealer in our group yes in the wet the scooby is far better but the rs is no slouch v easy to tune and a v strong engine (we see standard & tuned cars) we haven't had 1 engine failure, if i didn't need 5 seats i would love to own the rs so i bought a scooby instead and yes i love it.

Last edited by djr; 30 March 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: big brother is watching
Old 31 March 2013, 11:22 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to really like the focus RS, but after spending time up close and driving them my opinion changed. They look pretty special looming up behind you then tearing past with that amazing sound.

It's only when you have a close look things start looking shabby. Just the general finish, things like headlight washer covers flapping about, the 'mesh' under the headlights which is fake mesh, the horrible fake carbon interior trim, the cheap fast corroding brake calipers, the bundles of plastic under the bonnet. They just feel very cheap and after a while lose the sort of special feel which gets replaced with a mass produced feel.

I think they could be great cars, I certainly wouldn't say no to one free lol. But I'd never shell out £18k on something like that when you could get the latest V8 M3 for similar money.

If I had one I'd have to change the brake calipers for some brembos or similar, then recover the interior 'carbon' in that 3m carbon. Then all it'd need is 4wd lol

And anyone that says the FWD is fine, well fair enough but it's not for me in a car with that power. I like the feeling of 4wd digging in and pulling away from roundabouts etc.
Old 31 March 2013, 11:40 AM
LMC
Scooby Regular

Nail on head. Engines a peach though.
Old 31 March 2013, 03:03 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

If you couldn't put the power down in a 280bhp ST there's something wrong.
Either with the way you drive the car or the mapping. I drive a 330bhp ST and get the power down no issues.

As for the RS-
The RS will hold its value better than any Evo or Scooby will, look a RS Direct, that's the best company in the country to buy an RS from.

All that said I would go for the Evo personally.
Old 31 March 2013, 03:21 PM
Jamie330S
Scooby Regular

Come from a MKII RS ta an STi Hatch and I could happily go back to the RS. I dont because I used the RS when I needed a daily, the Scooby is more of a weekend toy. 12mpg as opposed to 22+ on the Focus.
Old 31 March 2013, 03:43 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
I used to really like the focus RS, but after spending time up close and driving them my opinion changed. They look pretty special looming up behind you then tearing past with that amazing sound.

It's only when you have a close look things start looking shabby. Just the general finish, things like headlight washer covers flapping about, the 'mesh' under the headlights which is fake mesh, the horrible fake carbon interior trim, the cheap fast corroding brake calipers, the bundles of plastic under the bonnet. They just feel very cheap and after a while lose the sort of special feel which gets replaced with a mass produced feel.

I think they could be great cars, I certainly wouldn't say no to one free lol. But I'd never shell out £18k on something like that when you could get the latest V8 M3 for similar money.

If I had one I'd have to change the brake calipers for some brembos or similar, then recover the interior 'carbon' in that 3m carbon. Then all it'd need is 4wd lol

And anyone that says the FWD is fine, well fair enough but it's not for me in a car with that power. I like the feeling of 4wd digging in and pulling away from roundabouts etc.
Hit the nail on the head there mate.

Went in a 420bhp Mk2 Focus RS not long back, and I was very impressed with it, That impressed that I was thinking of buying one(looked round Focus direct). But then when I sat down and really thought about it, To get a nice one you are looking at £20k. Like you say the brake calipers are not exactly up to sratch, paying £20k for a car you want some nice looking brakes(brembos etc) and you dont get that limited edition feel like the early mk1 Focus RS, the Mk2 seem to be on every corner, I see plenty of them on my daily travels!! And when you really think about it, It is really a modded Focus ST underneath!!

I do like them and think there great cars, But I couldnt shell out £20k for one at the moment, maybe when they have dropped a bit more and you can pick them up for less then £15k then I could justify one!!!
Old 31 March 2013, 06:07 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

Been at York Raceway today and a RS was up against a ST, nothing in it to be honest. Must admit when i saw the green RS parked next to a lovely looking Hawkeye & Evo 9 i dont think i will be paying the extra premium for the Ford.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:27 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
If you couldn't put the power down in a 280bhp ST there's something wrong.
Either with the way you drive the car or the mapping. I drive a 330bhp ST and get the power down no issues.

As for the RS-
The RS will hold its value better than any Evo or Scooby will, look a RS Direct, that's the best company in the country to buy an RS from.

All that said I would go for the Evo personally.
I find that hard to believe. You get 330bhp down in a FWD car with "no issues"? And in a car with no LSD?

Wait until the new RS comes out. Prices will drop faster than an Essex Girls knickers. Plus what about cars like the RB320, 22B, Cosworth Impreza. on the evo side.....FQ400, Tommi makinnen, Extreme etc....hold Their value brilliantly??? And they're not a ford focus lol
Old 31 March 2013, 07:09 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

I might fancy a trip down to Essex Peedee

Quick Reply: RS Focus