Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Citroen diesel particle filters....

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2013, 06:21 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Citroen diesel particle filters....

Hi folks,

Anyone had any experience with diesel particulate filters? The other halfs 2007 Citroen c2 1.4 hdi has given up the ghost tonight, refused to start then went into limp mode with the anti pollution fault showing.

I know you can have the ecu flashed/altered to remove the DPF from the ecu but surely the filter would still block and cause running problems even if the ecu knew nowt about it?

I'll know tomorrow when I ring one of the places that can do it, the cars been nowt but bother for the 2 years she's owned it and there's no way we're forking out around 600 for a new filter.

was just wondering if anyone in here had experienced similar problems

Regards

Mick
Old 21 February 2013, 06:39 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have heard that if vehicles only do short journeys that the DPF's never get hot enough to burn off any soot and so need replacing more often.
Old 21 February 2013, 06:44 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Yeah that's spot on as far as I know, she only commutes about 6 mile to work so it must just build up all the time I have taken the car for long runs to clear it every now and again if the light has came on but it seems blocked properly this time lol.

Seems like another engineering master piece if you ask me!

Mick
Old 21 February 2013, 06:50 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

normally you can carry out a forced regen if you have the right diag equipment
Old 21 February 2013, 07:43 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

You can buy the fluid you need from any motor factors, for about £40 then just fill the dpf yourself.
Old 21 February 2013, 07:56 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
You can buy the fluid you need from any motor factors, for about £40 then just fill the dpf yourself.
How does this work fella? I've bought some of the additive cleaner which you put in your fuel tank, i take it this is what you mean aswell the filter is inside the cat on the exhaust manifold....

I assume the additive just helps the filter reach a higher temp to burn the soot off.

Cheers for the input

Mick
Old 21 February 2013, 09:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Rip it out.
Old 21 February 2013, 09:58 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

I'd love to if it was possible lol

Mick
Old 21 February 2013, 10:00 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

The DPF will cost you a fortune to service maintain & replace. Have it removed & a remap for less than the cost of a replacement & never worry about it again, plus you will have better performance & fuel economy.
Old 21 February 2013, 10:03 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

http://www.dpfremoval.co.uk/dpf-remo...n-dpf-removal/
Old 22 February 2013, 07:39 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
How does this work fella? I've bought some of the additive cleaner which you put in your fuel tank, i take it this is what you mean aswell the filter is inside the cat on the exhaust manifold....

I assume the additive just helps the filter reach a higher temp to burn the soot off.

Cheers for the input

Mick
Afaik mate, the dpf is near the back of the car in a tank next to your petrol tank, the dpf is not a filter as such its just fluid in a tank, it might not be the same in your car tbh, id need to have a look round a c2 next time one comes into work but i know the likes of peugeot, volvo etc all have this setup.

Pop your head under the back of the car and have a look to see if theres a seperate tank. The fluid is black in colour.

If it is in the cat on yours then why not just buy a new cat, surely itll come complete withthe dpf

Last edited by gazzawrx; 22 February 2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 22 February 2013, 10:07 AM
wrx271
Scooby Regular

what i would do is smash the middle out the dpf filter then have it mapped out.
rule of thumb with the french is you service it once then replace the filter dpf fluid is called eolis and is basically sheep ****. the dpf will be at the front on your car and it should have pipes going into it for fluid injection.

if you do decide to mess with it make sure you wear gloves and cover mouth etc the dpf is a nasty peace of work and is quite toxic
Old 22 February 2013, 06:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Hi folks,

Anyone had any experience with diesel particulate filters? The other halfs 2007 Citroen c2 1.4 hdi has given up the ghost tonight, refused to start then went into limp mode with the anti pollution fault showing.

I know you can have the ecu flashed/altered to remove the DPF from the ecu but surely the filter would still block and cause running problems even if the ecu knew nowt about it?

I'll know tomorrow when I ring one of the places that can do it, the cars been nowt but bother for the 2 years she's owned it and there's no way we're forking out around 600 for a new filter.

was just wondering if anyone in here had experienced similar problems

Regards

Mick

Who told you teh DPF was clogged? or Why do you assume this?

The 'Anti pollution' light/warning message is just the French equivelent of a check engine light...doesn't mean the DPF is clogged. Although it could be as a engine fault will prevent it from regenrating if driven around too long in that condition..

Fix the fault first not the symptom!!

No point taking out the DPF only to find you've got a dodgy injector or sticking EGR valve!

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 February 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 22 February 2013, 06:32 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input lads, seeing as the anti pollution light comes on at different times to the engine management light I would think they are different, I've just had all the injectors out last month and they all tested fine, all the information I can find online and all my mates who work in the trade have all said anti pollution warning means you need to do a part regeneration of the DPF, my lass only drives the car 6 mile to work in pretty much a 30 zone all the way so the car isn't getting hot enough to clean the filter.

The DPF in her car is in the cat which is in the manifold, gases pass through the DPF then through the cat.

The only reason I wouldn't buy a new DPF/cat is that I'm not paying over 600 for a copy part when they clearly don't work anyway, I've bunged a load of that wynns DPF regenerator in he tank tonight and given it a long thrash up the motorway it's running spot on now just need to get the management light knocked off and see what happens.

I hate French cars!

Mick
Old 22 February 2013, 11:26 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thanks for the input lads, seeing as the anti pollution light comes on at different times to the engine management light I would think they are different, I've just had all the injectors out last month and they all tested fine, all the information I can find online and all my mates who work in the trade have all said anti pollution warning means you need to do a part regeneration of the DPF, my lass only drives the car 6 mile to work in pretty much a 30 zone all the way so the car isn't getting hot enough to clean the filter.

The DPF in her car is in the cat which is in the manifold, gases pass through the DPF then through the cat.

Ahh, short journeys, not good.

Although to last 2 year before doing that may suggest it has been used enough at some point to regenerate. As it would have clogged up a long time ago, if you get my drift.

Just saying EGR fault is one common that causes the very same anti-pollution warning. And they really do gunk up with soot just as badly with excessive urban use, especially if the engine puts out any oil through the breathers or turbo (especially if its not using a C2/C4 rated oil ).
The only reason I wouldn't buy a new DPF/cat is that I'm not paying over 600 for a copy part when they clearly don't work anyway, I've bunged a load of that wynns DPF regenerator in he tank tonight and given it a long thrash up the motorway it's running spot on now just need to get the management light knocked off and see what happens.

I hate French cars!

Mick
You don't always need to buy a new DPF if its clogged beyond the point of regeneration....plenty of independant garages know a few tricks to bring them back to life; One is to fill them up with truck wash concentrate and blast them out with a steam cleaner (very ecological ).

Anyway, if you don't like French cars..or their engines, better avoid any new Ford diesel, pretty much all of them use the Peugeot/Citreon's engines. Not to forget Mazdas and Volvos based on the same Ford chassis, and Mini diesels.

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 February 2013 at 11:27 PM.