Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

hawkeye sti - m3 e46

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2012, 05:42 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye sti - m3 e46

Hello. I currently have a sti modded to 340. After a few issues,hg failure, the car is now running like a dream but I just feel like I've outgrown the scooby scene a bit. I don't feel I use the car to even half its potential and I'm toyin with the idea of switching to a m3 and I'm wondering if anyone has made this switch?

I'm just after something a bit more refined but still with the performance there if I want it. My budget would be whatever my car is worth which I think is circa 8-9k with its condition and mods.

I'm not bothered about mpg but I'm just afer that little bit more refinement and something the wife can use without moaning about the noise or harsh ride.

So has anyone got any opinions on these? Looking at around 02-04 age

Cheers ste
Old 09 September 2012, 06:04 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Regardless of actual performance, an M3 will feel way way slower than a 340 STi.
Old 09 September 2012, 07:43 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Yes but as quick as my scoob is I don't use it enough to justify it at times. When I had my last one I had no kids so used to go for regular blasts out. Now I've got two kids,both love the car, so I don't get to use its potential. I just feel getting something more refined may be better.

Before I got the scoob I had a 2 ltr turbo a4 and it was quick but bugger me it was boring. I don't want to go down that route if I don't have to really

All I'm after is someone who has owned a m3 to give their opinion on them as to wether its a good move or not please
Old 09 September 2012, 08:14 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

You've just hit the nail on the head with regards to what my post was aimed at. I never said that a 340 STi was faster than an M3 (although I'm fairly sure it will be) I was simply saying how much faster it will feel, in fact I would argue that a sub 300 brake Scoob would "FEEL" faster than an M3. You've already said that a fast Audi was boring, it might be the case that an M3 with such a linear power delivery gives the same feeling.
Old 09 September 2012, 08:20 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

The M3 is a different drive, rwd with all the handling characteristics you'd expect from that.
The build and ride are on a different level, a much more 'grown up' performance car. But still great fun to drive, but without having to be embarrassed to be seen in it!
You will of course have to forget to use indicators, and drive like an arrogant ****, but still a great car.
Old 09 September 2012, 08:25 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Brun I wassnt bein funny mate I was just after someone who,d driven one to compare to a scoob. The way I see it, correct me if I'm wrong, but straight line race a m3 would give me a run for my money, on the bends I would leave him for dead?

Just after something like the last fella says that is more grown up but I'm not embarrassed to be seen in and that can still make me smile when I want it to
Old 09 September 2012, 08:27 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Hadn't realised I'd made the mistake of writing that I've never driven one
Old 09 September 2012, 09:41 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

so you driven one then haha?
Old 09 September 2012, 09:45 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

No
Old 09 September 2012, 09:59 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

oh right well its a no goer anyway, ive just got a qoute off my current insurer and for a slower older car its 700 a year more work that one out
Old 09 September 2012, 10:07 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
The way I see it, correct me if I'm wrong, but straight line race a m3 would give me a run for my money, on the bends I would leave him for dead?

Driven well an E46 M3 will keep a 340 bhp sti more than honest.
Old 09 September 2012, 10:15 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
The M3 is a different drive, rwd with all the handling characteristics you'd expect from that.
The build and ride are on a different level, a much more 'grown up' performance car. But still great fun to drive, but without having to be embarrassed to be seen in it!
You will of course have to forget to use indicators, and drive like an arrogant ****, but still a great car.
Good advice from someone who doesnt use his indicators and drives like a ****
Old 09 September 2012, 10:27 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Good advice from someone who doesnt use his indicators and drives like a ****
Evening Peter, and you'd know all about being embarrassed driving a Scoob with those silly oversized wheels. Well apart from when you impress the Saxo boys at Ronalds!!!
Old 09 September 2012, 10:44 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Evening Peter, and you'd know all about being embarrassed driving a Scoob with those silly oversized wheels. Well apart from when you impress the Saxo boys at Ronalds!!!
Hi Neil, got many booked in to the Salon tomorrow
Old 09 September 2012, 10:45 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

A M3 isn't quicker than a 340bhp STi.

A M3 is 342bhp and about 269lb-ft Torques so how can it be quicker.

To get the best out of a M3 you have to rag it all the time,7k gear changes etc,but they do handle really well better than you think in the dry and can be a good laugh but in the wet can be tricky.

Build quality is what you'd expect from BMW.....much better than a STi but what else would you expect.

The truth is they are 2 different cars aimed at 2 completely different markets.
Old 09 September 2012, 10:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an E46 M3 for 6 months, in between a 480 BHP MY00 Scooby and a 400 BHP Evo IX.

Toys and luxuries were nice. Leather, xenons, hi-fi etc, and they still look great I think. SMG gearbox was nice. Interior fantastic. A few rattles. Ride quality was a mixed bag, it settled nicely on dual carriageways/motorways, but on 19" wheels bounced around on bumpy B-roads where the brakes also wilted. On smooth surfaces it had a lot of grip and coming out of a wet roundabout in front of a 340 BHP MY00 Subaru it pulled a lead on a better driver who was throwing gearchanges at his six speed box, but despite what you then read on Scoobynet came past at high speed whilst I was flat out changing at 8000 RPM with the SMG box on the M3.

I sold the M3 after six months but wanted to get rid much sooner as it was such a disappointment in chassis and brakes on a bumpy fast B road.

Look at a 996 Turbo for something that does a lot of the M3 and Evo/Scooby thing in one car, but a bit outside the budget stated.

Last edited by john banks; 09 September 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09 September 2012, 11:28 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

oh right well its a no goer anyway, ive just got a qoute off my current insurer and for a slower older car its 700 a year more work that one out
The wet weather (), snow and frost will be here soon. The M3 will be very slow then, even if it makes it round a bend.
Old 10 September 2012, 09:11 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

John thanks for that reply. Very imformative. To be honest last night I did a few quotes on different cars and the porsche came out as good as the same as my current price so I may start saving an look at one of these instead. Thanks
Old 10 September 2012, 12:25 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I've had classic and newage scoobs, 33 and 34 GTR's, exige and a load of other crap in between and currently have E46 M3 which I bought from a friend as a stop gap but have now owned over a year as I really like it and can't find anything to replace it with.

In the real world driven properly it will keep all but very serious performance cars quite honest in dry conditions. Yes you have to rev it up to 7k and beyond but I don't mind that. I'd stick with a manual, I found SMG a bit jerky at slow speeds.

Rather odd but my lardy 340 bhp bugeye used to fall behind a car length or 2 in a straight line rolling drag when my friend owned the M3.

Switch the traction off in the wet and it will go sideways quickly but that's part of the appeal for me. I can have more fun at 20-30mph than I did at any speed in my scoob.

Go and drive one and see what you think, for the money I can't think of a better car.
Old 10 September 2012, 12:31 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

John thanks for that reply. Very imformative. To be honest last night I did a few quotes on different cars and the porsche came out as good as the same as my current price so I may start saving an look at one of these instead. Thanks

A 996 turbo will cost considerably more than an M3, prices seem to start around £24k although at that price they look a little ropey!
Old 10 September 2012, 12:43 PM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't get the turbo to be honest
Old 10 September 2012, 01:51 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Interesting question and one I find myself considering at the moment looking to upgrade from my daily hack golf GTI TDI 150.

I've jumped between the 2 several times, and have had 350bhp newage STI's, and I wouldn't say a 350bhp newage sti was much quicker if at all from a E46 M3. Don't forget you don't have 4wd trans losses to consider but in fairness do have a few more KG.

The E46 M3 will feel plenty quick enough, and is very nice having instant NA power. Drop a couple of cogs and it will still throw you back in the seat, and still handles well enough even when driven at silly speeds.

If you often find yourself driving a car at its ragged edge a scoob or evo will always feels more planted, nimble and capable in the twisties. That's not to say the M3 will do the same job but you would need to be that little bit more braver and committed to gain same results. But picking up on you post and similar to me, I find myself playing less and having less time or inclination to have a proper spirited drive.

Listening to your motive as to why your considering one, and again I'm in a similar position. I would much prefer the M3, as it ticks some boxes the Scoob just can't. But what often beings me back to the scoob is the running costs.

M3's can carry some big bills...., and general running cost are a fair bit more... Rear chassis are starting to go on most, even Vanos issues are showing up same as the E36's. Even things like disks and pads are not cheap.

I've had a manual M3 and driven a SMGII, and thought the SMGII was very nice. With its fly by wire throttle I found the Manual M3 difficult to drive slowly and smooth. But an SMG working as it should felt more compliant.

You need to drive one and have a decent test drive, but I doubt a E46 M3 will dissapoint.It's a proper grown up sports saloon.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 10 September 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10 September 2012, 04:53 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the sheet metal suspension mounts that are going or suspension components on the rear?
Old 10 September 2012, 06:27 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Hi Neil, got many booked in to the Salon tomorrow
Plenty booked in thank you

Feel free to drop in for a cut and blow dry......... well maybe just a polish?
Old 10 September 2012, 08:44 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Is it the sheet metal suspension mounts that are going or suspension components on the rear?
Yep its the floor pan itself around the suspension points that are starting to crack on them now. Causing considerable flex and skitty handling. Cheaper indy fix is welding and squirting resin in as prevenatative. But BMW would want to pretty much replace the rear floor pan for much'o money. Its a must check or have proof its been done or inspected before purchase IMO.
Old 11 September 2012, 01:31 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The E46 are getting on a bit and are pretty much in the same category as the STi in that more and more chav's seem to have them by now. Whatabout a 335i or d for something a bit more sleeper like and a lot more driveable with mapping options should you get bored?
Old 13 September 2012, 08:03 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is where the rear subframe which carries the diffs attach to the floorpan. The torque can crack the floor pan largley around the mounts but can also be seen around the suspension components typically in the areas which were stressed when the floor pan was formed. A lot of cars are affected however there are also tons which arent. BMW will fix it for free if its under 10 years and not to badly modified, otherwise your looking at 1-2k for an indy repair.

Not heard of any Vanos issues, apparantly they suffer head gasket but again not heard much so probably not very common.

Ive had E46 for almost 3 years now and its the best car ive ever owned by far. It is a different league to my old scooby. the S54 engine widley regarded as one of the best engines ever made. Even Chris Harris and Tiff have a bit of a stiffy for the e46 m3 these days.

I remember being dissappointed with my first test drive as it didnt have that turbo shuv, but when you actually drive the car properly it rewards in a million more ways than just a turbo shuv. I drive the car much more often because its so rewarding, tactile and fun on the twisties. The SMG box is great, if its crap it needs looking at, but is probably a simple fix.

The brakes are fine for road use. Upgrade the pads if you wish.

The car is Planted! Way more than my scooby ever was. If its not it probaby needs it rtabs, lca & b's replacing. They are also quite sensitive to setup, so a proper alignment is a must.

The ride is significantly improved on 18" rims. But perfectly acceptable on 19's. Set of eibach springs are a good replacement if you get a common snapped spring. £200 quid and tbh its the springs the car should have come with.

Parts and servicing can get expensive if you dont do it yourself, however the M is much easier to work on than my old scooby.

On top of that, it looks fantastic. Might be old but it still looks great. Refined, expensive looking and bullet proof.

Its a no brainer mate. E46 for the win. Ive toyed with selling it a few times but never found anything. Going to buy an M5 soon just to try something new for a bit (but keeping the e46 forever!)

Send me a PM if you have any questions.