BMW X5 buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2012, 11:53 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default BMW X5 buying questions

Hi all, just wondered if anyone on here knows there x5's
My brother is looking at buying a x5 3.0 td auto. Going to look at a couple on Thursday.
Wanted to ask if timing belts are chain driven or normal belt?
And anything else to look out for? I.e common problems/faults? Not that they should be as they are bullet proof as to why he's chose one. He's looking at pre 2006 models to beat road tax hike.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Old 26 June 2012, 12:04 AM
Ati@asworld
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

always check the diffs they have very common to go on them, also to beat the tax you will need a 2005 mate
Old 26 June 2012, 12:05 AM
Ati@asworld
Former Sponsor

and im sure transfer boxes are common to go on these, my mates a mechanic and works for bmw and he always checks my bmw, mines a 2009 spec
Old 26 June 2012, 12:08 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

How do you check diff and transfer boxes on these?
And yes he's looking at PRE 2006 I.e 04-55 plate.
Do you also know if there's a timing belt or chain driven?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 26 June 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 26 June 2012, 12:10 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Ah your from Huddersfield mate, we're abouts as I'm there too.
Old 26 June 2012, 08:13 AM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Chain driven. Check the panoramic roof opens and more importantly closes. Check gearbox for x5 lurch. Run up to temp and brake to a complete stop. Make sure there is no big jolt like you have been rear ended when the box selects first gear. Oh yes and have a friend as a mechanic, servicing these is not a job for the faint hearted. Everything is akward.
Old 26 June 2012, 10:35 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv'e got a friend who's had two; great as big comfortable cars but completely useless as off-roaders if that matters to you
Old 26 June 2012, 12:11 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wild Thing
Chain driven. Check the panoramic roof opens and more importantly closes. Check gearbox for x5 lurch. Run up to temp and brake to a complete stop. Make sure there is no big jolt like you have been rear ended when the box selects first gear. Oh yes and have a friend as a mechanic, servicing these is not a job for the faint hearted. Everything is akward.
Oh thanks that's good advice I'll check the jolt
Mechanic not a problem, he dosent intend of buying this car for cheap servicing costs, just want to make sure it's a good one.
Originally Posted by Paben
Iv'e got a friend who's had two; great as big comfortable cars but completely useless as off-roaders if that matters to you
Not really using for off rd, more like my brother wants to show off as he is a night doorman and wants to live upto his reputation
Old 26 June 2012, 12:14 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

wheel arches are a bugger to get stonechips (and I mean a LOT) unless its the brand new model, which has protectors
Old 26 June 2012, 12:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Also whats the law of test driving a car that has been sorn? Can it be taken for a test drive only?

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 02 July 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 26 June 2012, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

BMW DOES NOT = BULET PROOF!

(unless you're previous car was French )

For pre 2006 watch out for cracked manifolds and blown turbo seals from clogged crankcase breather filter (caused by pushing the service interval timer to it limits, which causes sludge).

These are getting to be old cars now, so anything rubber on the suspenion is going to start showing it age as they perish (pretty similar setup to the 5-series). Knock on effect is tyre scrub and it handling like more of a barge than it already is.

Seen injectors fail...which results in the engine cutting out (due to insuffient fuel pressure).

Autoboxes are lifetime filled so not a routine service item, which the word is to change it after ten years/100K if you don't want to fork out on a rebuild. Less if its used for towing. Cost of the fluid is extortionate (ZF lifeguard: don't use dexron ATF), but less than a rebuilt transmission.
Old 26 June 2012, 01:57 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Also whats the law of test driving a car that has been sorn and uninsured? Can it be taken for a test drive only?
Can anyone answer this question^^^^^
Old 26 June 2012, 02:00 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Why havent you beaten some sense into him? ..... oh right, doorman!

He would be MUCH better off in a 5 series estate than an X5 ..... soft roaders really pickle me chips! so bloody pointless!
Old 26 June 2012, 02:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you can not legally drive it on public roads. If you drive it and get stopped, you will have a trip to court and 6 points on your licence for your troubles.

Last edited by Dedrater; 26 June 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 26 June 2012, 02:39 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Why havent you beaten some sense into him? ..... oh right, doorman!

He would be MUCH better off in a 5 series estate than an X5 ..... soft roaders really pickle me chips! so bloody pointless!
you try put some sense into him lol, I'm just glad he's not buying anything French lol

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Yeah, you can not legally drive it on public roads. If you drive it and get stopped, you will have a trip to court and 6 points on your licence for your troubles.
Yes this is what I'm thinking, but how can I test it's all ok, surely there must be some sort of grace for test drives?
Old 26 June 2012, 02:55 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

If it is uninsured, then the only way is to get a day insurance policy on it and because it is SORN, you can only legally drive it to a prebooked MOT.

I suppose you could book an MOT somewhere, get day insurance and claim you are driving to said MOT if stopped.
Old 26 June 2012, 03:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Yes this is what I'm thinking, but how can I test it's all ok, surely there must be some sort of grace for test drives?
If you think about it you'll realise that is impossible otherwise everyone would be on a test drive.

Thanks to continous insurance it needs to be taxed and if taxed it needs insurance.

If it is SORN and plod see it then it will probably get impounded.

The only way it could be done bar the suggestion above is from a dealer with trade plates (I think)

5t.
Old 26 June 2012, 03:26 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
If you think about it you'll realise that is impossible otherwise everyone would be on a test drive.

Thanks to continous insurance it needs to be taxed and if taxed it needs insurance.

If it is SORN and plod see it then it will probably get impounded.

The only way it could be done bar the suggestion above is from a dealer with trade plates (I think)

5t.
Yes 5t your right only can be driven on trade plates, insurance not a problem but un taxed causes a problem lol
It's a private seller with only 60k on clock wihich I think is good.but considering no tax, there's no way of test driving to make sure everything's spot on, so think we're gonna leave it.
Seen another one at a dealer so think we're gonna look at that instead

Thanks for all the help guys and woman.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 26 June 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 26 June 2012, 06:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be cheaper to get the AA or RAC come out to do an inspection - they inspect and test drive which saves you sorting insurance/ tax and you get a warranty on the inspection (i think?)
Old 28 June 2012, 07:36 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

It's a private seller with only 60k on clock wihich I think is good.but considering no tax, there's no way of test driving to make sure everything's spot on, so think we're gonna leave it.
Oh yeah, forgot to say beamers are a doddle to clock.

I'd be wanting evidence to back that up...old invoices, old MOTs. and do a MOT history check to verify mileage back to 2006....http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/interne...ry-Request.jsp

PLus if its been serviced when the interval timer pops up saying so with that kind of low usage, its only going to have had its oil change every two years, which if used locally for so many years can mean a very sludgy engine.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 June 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 28 June 2012, 12:14 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
Might be cheaper to get the AA or RAC come out to do an inspection - they inspect and test drive which saves you sorting insurance/ tax and you get a warranty on the inspection (i think?)
I'm quite good with checking out cars etc been dealing with them for years, just wanted to check if there were any common issues with x5s that's all, but thanks.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Oh yeah, forgot to say beamers are a doddle to clock.

I'd be wanting evidence to back that up...old invoices, old MOTs. and do a MOT history check to verify mileage back to 2006....http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/interne...ry-Request.jsp

PLus if its been serviced when the interval timer pops up saying so with that kind of low usage, its only going to have had its oil change every two years, which if used locally for so many years can mean a very sludgy engine.
as said above Ali I'm quite familiar with these scams etc and yes I'd be looking into service history etc that's no issue as I check thoroughly, just wanted experience of x5 owners in case there were common issues

I've looked at 3 already and only 1 ticks my boxes so far but still a bit sceptical, going to look at 2 more today and pay a bit extra for a genuine good one
Regards
Old 01 July 2012, 09:13 PM
bigscottyboy
Scooby Regular

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&safe=...w=1249&bih=615
Old 01 July 2012, 10:42 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigscottyboy
Yes mate all been checked

Just to add I've found him an absolute minter and made him buy it before it sold, must say the previous owner has looked after it very well.
In the end he got a dark grey one instead of black, with cream interior. He's happy and I'm happy.
I gave him the speach, good things come to those who wait, and it worked.
Thanks for all the tips on this
Old 02 July 2012, 09:34 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I'm quite good with checking out cars etc been dealing with them for years, just wanted to check if there were any common issues with x5s that's all, but thanks.

as said above Ali I'm quite familiar with these scams etc and yes I'd be looking into service history etc that's no issue as I check thoroughly, just wanted experience of x5 owners in case there were common issues

I've looked at 3 already and only 1 ticks my boxes so far but still a bit sceptical, going to look at 2 more today and pay a bit extra for a genuine good one
Regards
No offence fella, but you didn't know that an uninsured car without insurance, can't be used on the public roads......even for test drive! I know you say that you are 'clued' up when it comes to cars, but I wouldn't want you checking a motor out for me, that's for damn sure! I went to see a Honda Civic Type R last week. When I got there, within 5 minutes, I had noticed that 3 tyres were illegal, it had no tax and was sorn, so no insurance. Plus he had lost the V5! No tax and no insurance usually mean one thing. Walk away.

As Ali-B has mentioned, 'BMW' does not equal 'bullet proof'. Far from it in some cases. Plus they are seriously expensive to put right when things go wrong.
Then again, your mate sounds like he knows what he wants, so let him get on with it.
I know when I see a BMW X5, I don't think, 'Wow, what a great car.' I usually think, 'what's the point?' And yes, all the ones I have seen were being driven by complete *****.

If I had to have off-roader as my road car, it would be a Range Rover all the way.
Nothing else comes close. And I am talking about a proper Range Rover, not a Sport model, which isn't a Range Rover anyway.

This sort of car will cost you A LOT more to run than the usual family car ( hell, even an Impreza!), so do it properly and get a Range Rover!
Old 02 July 2012, 09:59 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
No offence fella, but you didn't know that an uninsured car without insurance, can't be used on the public roads......even for test drive! I know you say that you are 'clued' up when it comes to cars, but I wouldn't want you checking a motor out for me, that's for damn sure! I went to see a Honda Civic Type R last week. When I got there, within 5 minutes, I had noticed that 3 tyres were illegal, it had no tax and was sorn, so no insurance. Plus he had lost the V5! No tax and no insurance usually mean one thing. Walk away.

As Ali-B has mentioned, 'BMW' does not equal 'bullet proof'. Far from it in some cases. Plus they are seriously expensive to put right when things go wrong.
Then again, your mate sounds like he knows what he wants, so let him get on with it.
I know when I see a BMW X5, I don't think, 'Wow, what a great car.' I usually think, 'what's the point?' And yes, all the ones I have seen were being driven by complete *****.

If I had to have off-roader as my road car, it would be a Range Rover all the way.
Nothing else comes close. And I am talking about a proper Range Rover, not a Sport model, which isn't a Range Rover anyway.

This sort of car will cost you A LOT more to run than the usual family car ( hell, even an Impreza!), so do it properly and get a Range Rover!
Think you should of read the thread more clearly fella.
as said insurance not a problem as the car I was referring to was uninsured by the owner (private seller) so we was going to get temp insurance cover on it prior to viewing, but the fact it had no tax left then wasn't doable for test drive.

The other cars were from dealers so there was no problem there.

It's my brother,NOT friend and he wanted a x5 tried changing his mind but what the hell suppose he wanted to live up to his rep of being a doorman with his big gay friends

He's not bothered about running costs, or expenses just needed a decent x5 so I got him one.

His plans is to keep it for a few months and get a range rover vogue and give x5 to his missus.

Bullet proof was a figure of speach aimed at German cars I.e Audi,BMW,etc....but I'll try not say that in future hey. I've had 2 bmws and never had 1 thing go wrong with them even at high mileage.

And IMO for handling I would prefer the x5 over a range rover any day as I lean more towards how a car drive rather all the gadgets it's got but that's just me.

The car is bought now and he's happy so I'm happy....the end!
Regards

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 02 July 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02 July 2012, 11:26 PM
l1verp00l
Scooby Regular

didnt read last post. Well done on the new purchase

Last edited by l1verp00l; 02 July 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02 July 2012, 11:30 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l1verp00l
didnt read last post. Well done on the new purchase
Yeah let's just hope it don't get nicked
Old 02 July 2012, 11:46 PM
l1verp00l
Scooby Regular

Popular with ram raiders?!!
Old 03 July 2012, 12:05 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
These are getting to be old cars now, so anything rubber on the suspenion is going to start showing it age as they perish
I assume this is the same for all cars. Does squirting it with silicon help preserve it or just mask the noises?