Peugeot 206 Gti / Gti HDI

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2012, 10:04 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Peugeot 206 Gti / Gti HDI

Hi all,

Thinking of dumping my old MG ZR td, and looking for a new daily hack. Sniffing around the various car sites, like the look of a Peugeot 206 Gti HDI. 50 / 55 mpg, lots of toys, but Ive read some terrible reviews.

Now it seems these cars have some FLAP thing, where fluid is squirted into the fuel take, via a tank underneath the car. Also, seems like the DMF has issues, but this seems to be the same on all modern diesels.

Ok, so if I dont got for a HDI, I like the look of the 206 GTI 180, but mpg isnt too good.

Any of you fine gentleman had one of the above ?? Reviews ?? Thoughts ???

SBK
Old 24 April 2012, 10:45 AM
amv#01
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about the diesel version but I ran a 206gti before I bought my Impreza. They generally seem to get a pretty bad rep - main issues being questionable reliability and too slow to be a hot hatch. But I think this is generally down to it having had big shoes to fill (pug 205 gti)

I was really happy with mine, ran it for 3 years and it other than servicing, tyres and a worn handbrake cable didn't spend a penny on it. I had the '138' version of the gti - apparently there's not a huge amount of difference performance-wise between that and the 180. I certainly wouldn't describe it as fast (0-60 a tad under 8 secs, whereas the gti180 is more like 7.5ish I think) but had just enough power to be reasonably interesting. I averaged 35mpg with mixed driving.

Interior I found actually quite nice place to be, nice dash, full leather seats (optional) and a good amount of gadgets for its age. Again I can only speak about the petrol 206, but if you go for one, look out for one which has the 'SP pack' = small rear spoiler, slightly flared wheel arches and a different front bumper as it improves the looks massively. Have to say I didn't particularly like the gearbox, it was a little bit like stirring a pudding - gti180 has a different box though I think its 6 speed.

If I was buying that type of car again in that kind of price range though I would consider a clio sport.
Old 24 April 2012, 11:52 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a 207, they are due for replacement this year, far better car than the 206 was (horrid driving position, the GTI 180 was the best but the 5 speed is too long geared).
The 207 should be in your price bracket (depending what you have to spend?) the HDI engine is very reliable, dmf isnt really an issue unless you do all town driving, it needs a good run at over 40mph to do its job properly.

Tony
Old 24 April 2012, 01:51 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mum has got a 55 plate 206 1.6litre GTI HDI which was one of the last 206's built I think (stopped production at 06?).

She's never had any problems with it other than one thing. 2 years ago she noticed it was lacking in power so sent it to Vauxhall and she had a bill of something like £600 to fix the turbo. Other than that, it's been a very reliable little car. It's plently fast enough for her anyway and climbs fast through all the gears once the turbo kicks in at 3500rpm.

edit: just noticed the post above -yes, the HDI is very reliable and hasn't had anything go wrong since she had it from new.

Last edited by LSherratt; 24 April 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 24 April 2012, 02:55 PM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend used to have the 1.4 hdi. It ate through suspension parts something chronic.
Eventually the rear trailing arm bushes started failing. Replaced them and the failed not very long after. The trailing arms on all 206s bar the wagon are a very poor design as there is no support for lateral movement. Turns out ours has worn through the bush and worn the axel meaning when new bushes were fitted they didn't seat properly and justed failed again.
The car was basically needing a new rear axel so chopped it in and bought a mk5 gt tdi golf which has (touch wood) only required a wheel bearing in 2 years and 20k miles.
Old 26 April 2012, 05:52 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

had a gti 180 ran it for roughly a yr then passed it to my daughter who still has it .
and tbh never had any probs with it haveing said that they do suffer from clutch judder around the 50k ish mark mine has had new clutch fitted so all ok,and cambelts are expencive to change on them.
we seem to get around 32 mpg on avrage but will drop alot (20-22) when used hard, i really like them and tbh when the scoob has sold i will proberly get another one as a fun car as said above the clio has got the slight edge on outright speed but the 180's are a cheap fun toy.
Old 26 April 2012, 06:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by b road blaster
had a gti 180 ran it for roughly a yr then passed it to my daughter who still has it .
and tbh never had any probs with it haveing said that they do suffer from clutch judder around the 50k ish mark mine has had new clutch fitted so all ok,and cambelts are expencive to change on them.
we seem to get around 32 mpg on avrage but will drop alot (20-22) when used hard, i really like them and tbh when the scoob has sold i will proberly get another one as a fun car as said above the clio has got the slight edge on outright speed but the 180's are a cheap fun toy.
Apart from the crap feet positioning and stupidly long gearing

Tony
Old 26 April 2012, 06:52 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

Daughters got 51 plate 2.0 hdi, great car! no probs goes well good fuel return, same ole story really with any car you either get a good un or nothing but trouble.
Old 26 April 2012, 09:23 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Apart from the crap feet positioning and stupidly long gearing

Tony
yes very long gears but really don't find it a prob or the pedels tbh and i got size 10 feet
Old 26 April 2012, 11:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Pedals are horrid and so are the long gears, 2nd takes ages to get anywhere and the pedals are offset to the right so you dont have a comfortable seating position as you have to twist yourself into position, not well designed at all and I like my pugs but the 206 just isnt good.
If you want a GTI then the 306 is far better, if you want a quick small hatch then the Clio 172/182 are better, if you want a good diesel then the 306 or 307, or better still, the 207, all are better than the 206, its a horrid little car

Tony

PS, size 9 feet and the pedals sucked
Old 27 April 2012, 10:32 AM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

lol lol fair play mate you really don't like them do you lol lol i guess its down to each person as too the likes and dislikes.
but yes must agree with the 306 bit i had the s16 306 and that was a good fun car, just not so easy to find a good one nowdays same with the gti6.never understand why they did'nt fit that box in the 206.
Old 27 April 2012, 10:43 AM
KAOS_JNR
Scooby Regular

I ran a 54plate 206 gti 180 loved the car but gearing was shocking and MPG was worse love the car thou
Old 27 April 2012, 11:01 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

One thing I notice on adverts when I was looking for a hack was a shocking amount of these cars havimg had their rear axle replaced. Put me right off.

5t.
Old 27 April 2012, 11:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b road blaster
lol lol fair play mate you really don't like them do you lol lol i guess its down to each person as too the likes and dislikes.
but yes must agree with the 306 bit i had the s16 306 and that was a good fun car, just not so easy to find a good one nowdays same with the gti6.never understand why they did'nt fit that box in the 206.
I have an S16
Its a project car so I should get some work done on her come the nice warm summer months, then get my mate to touch up the paint, only has 72k on the clock
Been sitting a while though which is a down side....

Tony
Old 27 April 2012, 12:55 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I have an S16
Its a project car so I should get some work done on her come the nice warm summer months, then get my mate to touch up the paint, only has 72k on the clock
Been sitting a while though which is a down side....

Tony
nice one i get the feeling they will become quite a sort after car in quite a short space of time.
this was mine don't blame me for the lights and wheels as it was 100% standerd when i had it but gave it to my son and he put them on it