BIT OF A TOOL...?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2012, 12:53 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation BIT OF A TOOL...?!?!

supercharged clio 182 335BHP!!! impreza evo vxr power

If the power output is to be believed, then this has to be one serious point'n'squirt A-B car! Especially given the NA-type power delivery a S/C delivers.

Thing is, would 300+ overwhelm the 182's fab chassis set-up? Will it simply spin away the power through the front wheels...?
Old 08 April 2012, 12:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that is what these make, would need to hold onto the wheel but not sure I would want to spend 9 grand on a Clio, looks like the internals have been dealt with but I suspect this could be a money pit, not sure the drivetrain was ever designed to cope with that much power and torque, they werent the most solidly built car, after all its a shopping runabout.
Old 08 April 2012, 01:00 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got one with 608BHP .... honest
Old 08 April 2012, 01:09 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

As std the 182 is an awesome machine to throw about with impunity. So long as there aren't many long straights lol, then it can 'embarrass' many a car.

But I guess an extra 155bhp, or 85% more power, would be a step too far for its chassis?
Old 08 April 2012, 01:23 PM
Sleiper STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mmm all that and no under bonnet shots, seems odd you wouldnt take a pic of under the bonnet in an ad like that, no?
Old 08 April 2012, 02:00 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For that sort of power the suspension and brakes would need serious work. Would not fancy being in it with an inexperienced driver, that's for sure. Was in a 400bhp focus RS the other week and you're quickly up to silly speeds. Over a jump the car did not feel good at all... and that's a 2010 focus with money spent on suspension. A clio would be frightening!

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 08 April 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08 April 2012, 02:07 PM
classic scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sleiper STI
mmm all that and no under bonnet shots, seems odd you wouldnt take a pic of under the bonnet in an ad like that, no?
just what i was thinking!
Old 08 April 2012, 02:16 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Rotrex make little superchargers for small engined cars I am pretty sure and extra 80-100 bhp would be normal but no more than that.
Old 08 April 2012, 05:10 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

When you think the Clio V6 put on 300kg in weight compared with a 172, mostly as a result of the extra structural strengthening added so it could cope with the power and speed, 335bhp is going to be way too much power for a 182. That's assuming the claimed figures are actually true, obviously.

Looking around you can pick up a phase 2 V6 for not much more than this is selling for.
Old 09 April 2012, 12:18 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind though Mark, more of that structural stiffening will probably have been because the V6 engine was installed in a totally non-standard location
Old 09 April 2012, 12:24 AM
icbm
Scooby Regular

That thing would be undriveable. Never see the point in cars like that esp in the wet (which is often in the UK!). V6 is a different beast altogether...Its rear wheel drive to start with!

Last edited by icbm; 09 April 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09 April 2012, 09:29 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That ad is littered with poor grammer and incorrect spelling. Still, at least it wasn't written in text speak!
Old 09 April 2012, 09:37 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Bear in mind though Mark, more of that structural stiffening will probably have been because the V6 engine was installed in a totally non-standard location
So like the fools that they were for coming up with the idea of building the V6 in the first place, its designers completely forgot to take out the structural stiffening at the front of the car, once they'd moved the engine out of its original location?
Old 09 April 2012, 09:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Rotrex make little superchargers for small engined cars I am pretty sure and extra 80-100 bhp would be normal but no more than that.

Depends on the intercooler and compression, it can run a bigger charger if its been modified to suit....there are rotrex kits for VW VR6 3.2 and these go to around 450bhp on a well built engine. Which is a good 200bhp above stock bhp.

The small rotrex kits are intended to be used on cars running original pistons and compression (i.e Vauxhall Monaros). But this has aftermarket pistons, so the compression has been dropped alllowing for more boost pressure. How long it would last along with gearbox is another question.

TBH 200bhp on any FWD is too much IMO, I don't care what FWD fanatics say, the traction is not enough for me. Great in the dry and once moving but it'd annoy the **** off me when trying to make progress on a damp road or trying to pull away quickly from a busy junction.
Old 09 April 2012, 09:49 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Good cars the 182,a distant mate of mine had one when they first came out and the ******** was showing off and trashed it on the 2nd day of owning it,took a bend on a B road and ran out of skill
He was a prat for doing it with two other passengers in the car but all was ok.
I did test drive it before he wrecked it and would of had one myself but i'm not that keen on small cars...
Old 09 April 2012, 10:29 AM
P1 LTD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by icbm
That thing would be undriveable. Never see the point in cars like that esp in the wet (which is often in the UK!). V6 is a different beast altogether...Its rear wheel drive to start with!

+1 with that claimed power undriveable! Too light to put the power down FWD only and in the wet keep it on the Driveway money well spent
Old 09 April 2012, 10:33 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
So like the fools that they were for coming up with the idea of building the V6 in the first place, its designers completely forgot to take out the structural stiffening at the front of the car, once they'd moved the engine out of its original location?
If anything, more strengthening would have been added to the front for chassis rigidity and to meet frontal impact crash regulations.
Old 09 April 2012, 12:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by ALi-B
TBH 200bhp on any FWD is too much IMO, I don't care what FWD fanatics say, the traction is not enough for me. Great in the dry and once moving but it'd annoy the **** off me when trying to make progress on a damp road or trying to pull away quickly from a busy junction.
DC2 just about right

TX.
Old 10 April 2012, 09:54 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Depends on the intercooler and compression, it can run a bigger charger if its been modified to suit....there are rotrex kits for VW VR6 3.2 and these go to around 450bhp on a well built engine. Which is a good 200bhp above stock bhp.

The small rotrex kits are intended to be used on cars running original pistons and compression (i.e Vauxhall Monaros). But this has aftermarket pistons, so the compression has been dropped alllowing for more boost pressure. How long it would last along with gearbox is another question.

Never driven an integra type r then ?
Old 10 April 2012, 10:18 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yes, overrated for road use in the UK IMHO.

Anyhoo its NOT 200bhp
Old 10 April 2012, 01:33 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Yes, overrated for road use in the UK IMHO
My DC2 was faster a to b in the wet then my MY99 T2000. Best "off the shelf" front driver I've ever driven on the road or the track, and no fancy revo nuckle (or equivalent) front end required - just ideal basic design. A proper mechanical lsd and exceptionally low roll centre too.

Maybe you weren't trying hard enough

Anyhoo its NOT 200bhp
The DC5 is over 200 (220?)

DC2 was 187
Old 10 April 2012, 02:41 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
My DC2 was faster a to b in the wet then my MY99 T2000. Best "off the shelf" front driver I've ever driven on the road or the track, and no fancy revo nuckle (or equivalent) front end required - just ideal basic design. A proper mechanical lsd and exceptionally low roll centre too.

DC2 was 187
DC2 has sophisticated double wishbone suspension all round which you don't see on modern mass produced cars anymore and only found track orientated or exotic supercars, so not so basic in desgin.
Old 10 April 2012, 05:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Devildog

DC2 was 187

Small point; classic imprezas don't handle. Never have, especially as stock.
Even my old XR3 on Pirelli p600s (rubbish tyres) had better turn in and less understeer. (I'll return to the reason why in a minute)

Other than that, DC2 great FWD car. But its still FWD. OK for track days and pratting about and stuff, as the front LSD helps massively, but for what I would need it for it would annoy the **** off me, so not my cup of tea. Plus I do prefer somthing with more low-end grunt (although more low rpm torque would just be spun away anyway).

Originally Posted by jonc
DC2 has sophisticated double wishbone suspension all round which you don't see on modern mass produced cars anymore and only found track orientated or exotic supercars, so not so basic in desgin.
Which brings up a valid point; its all about the front suspension.

A beam axle rear supension on some front wheel drive cars is actually quite good, as it invokes oversteer to balance out the handling caused by the often inferior Mcpherson front suspension (which is most mass production cars...even revoknuckle as it still has no upper control arm).

Its all down to how good the front-end is setup....if its humdrum floppy-supported mcphersons up front, then a well braced twist beam axle on the rear makes it more neutral and fun on something that would otherwise steer as well as the Titanic (although dicey under hard braking into a bend ). Basically thats anything French like the 182 above (also old Fiesta/RS1800, MKV RS2000, 205gti etc).

This is why I mentioned Classic Imprezas are typically crap handling - good(ish) rear double wishbone with trailing arms giving passive rear steer, but the front is just plain old mcpherson struts with floppy mounted lower arms. That's why they don't handle as well as a ITR DC2. So what do people do to make them 'better'? They fit uprated rear ARBs and drop links. Which effectively makes the rear suspension behave more like a twist beam....like that on the Clio.

The French were onto something, simple, cheap, lightweight and it can work. Well, sort of (nothings perfect).

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 April 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10 April 2012, 05:21 PM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

It is possible to get to this figure if (and it is a big if) all of the components he mentions are fitted, I understand the limitations with this conversion aside from the lack of air conditioning are the bottom end. It does include a rolling road print out so it is better than most jokers you see on ebay.
Old 10 April 2012, 06:09 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Thats not what I meant mate - I meant the base design was good, not that it was basic
Old 10 April 2012, 06:16 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Small point; classic imprezas don't handle. Never have, especially as stock.
Even my old XR3 on Pirelli p600s (rubbish tyres) had better turn in and less understeer. (I'll return to the reason why in a minute)

Other than that, DC2 great FWD car. But its still FWD. OK for track days and pratting about and stuff, as the front LSD helps massively, but for what I would need it for it would annoy the **** off me, so not my cup of tea. Plus I do prefer somthing with more low-end grunt (although more low rpm torque would just be spun away anyway).

Which brings up a valid point; its all about the front suspension.

A beam axle rear supension on some front wheel drive cars is actually quite good, as it invokes oversteer to balance out the handling caused by the often inferior Mcpherson front suspension (which is most mass production cars...even revoknuckle as it still has no upper control arm).

Its all down to how good the front-end is setup....if its humdrum floppy-supported mcphersons up front, then a well braced twist beam axle on the rear makes it more neutral and fun on something that would otherwise steer as well as the Titanic (although dicey under hard braking into a bend ). Basically thats anything French like the 182 above (also old Fiesta/RS1800, MKV RS2000, 205gti etc).

This is why I mentioned Classic Imprezas are typically crap handling - good(ish) rear double wishbone with trailing arms giving passive rear steer, but the front is just plain old mcpherson struts with floppy mounted lower arms. That's why they don't handle as well as a ITR DC2. So what do people do to make them 'better'? They fit uprated rear ARBs and drop links. Which effectively makes the rear suspension behave more like a twist beam....like that on the Clio.

The French were onto something, simple, cheap, lightweight and it can work. Well, sort of (nothings perfect).
Agreed stock classics don't handle that well - both understeer and lift of oversteer and a general lack of balance, but they did have decent grip & traction up to the limits when they all get a bit, well, crap.

I was more surprised that apart from straight line traction, the Integra on relatively skinny standard fit rubber was so much better that the traction advantage of 4wd in the wet wasn't enough "in the twisties" to cover ground faster than the 'Teg, which had quite astounding traction on the exit of anything other than a hairpin bend, even in the wet.
Old 10 April 2012, 07:27 PM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

going back a few years ago i had a 106gti running 268bhp compleatly stripped out the thing was absoultly insane never been in anything that felt so quick. imbarassed many of cars best was an rs4.. went past him with a big smile on my face. he couldnt belive what was happening so he tried to overtake again planted my foot and waved goodbye. came up to a set of lights guy wound down his window and asked wtf i had in it to which i replied" just a 1.6 mate" it was hurrendous in the corners trying to put the power down and it used to brake almost on a daily basis . 335 is easily doable out of a supercharged/turbocharged 172/182 with cash and time but the relability factor im not sure of, lot of custom parts involved.
Old 12 April 2012, 08:00 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

That ad is littered with poor grammer and incorrect spelling. Still, at least it wasn't written in text speak!
Old 12 April 2012, 08:11 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I'm amazed no one picked up on that sooner!
Old 12 April 2012, 08:20 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm amazed no one picked up on that sooner!
I've only just read the thread, really made me chuckle that did.

Quick Reply: BIT OF A TOOL...?!?!