Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My mates Vw Van 1950`s pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2011, 01:08 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My mates Vw Van 1950`s pickup.

Been nosing around my mates van, a 1950`s split screen pick up. Bought from Sweden so is LHD but its UBER rare. Was hand built in Wolfsburg before they started the Factory in Hannover to make the vans.

Is looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment, but will be mint in a few years.
He`s leaving the paint as it is, as he discovered original 1950`s hand sign written paintwork underneath, so apart from that will be fully restored to how it should have looked including cross ply tyres.

Anyways heres some pics.

Old 03 October 2011, 01:26 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I'm amazed at how many of these are still turning up, You'd have thought the surf dudes would have found them all by now
Old 03 October 2011, 01:35 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my old mate andrew is restoring a rhd one of them , found in a barn and last taxed in 1964 . all new floors and panels with loads of time and effort .all going to be origional as well
Old 03 October 2011, 05:46 AM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Tell your mate to do a conversion like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJgSSlN1drA&NR=1
Old 03 October 2011, 05:59 AM
leedscal
Scooby Regular

wouldnt like to do spark plugs on that ^^ lol
Old 03 October 2011, 08:22 AM
FUNNKYMONKEY
Scooby Regular

I went to a hot rod show in the summer and they had a splitty pick up with a difference, it had a dodge viper engine and running gear, sounded the muts nuts
Old 03 October 2011, 10:16 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still loads on the roads in Brazil. I keep saying to the wife we should bring one back, it's just all the hassle that goes with importing them that I can't be bothered with.
Old 03 October 2011, 10:51 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Was there some sort of VW Camper convention on the South Coast this weekend? Never seen so many on the M23/M25. Some absolutely immaculate.

Didn't see any pick-ups like this though. Must be pretty rare? Is it an original option?
Old 03 October 2011, 11:39 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

There's an old fella lives near me who has a camper one he bought new.

He owns a chicken farm and one of the barns is filled with would would be considered classic vehicles now.

There is an old Bedford MJ truck, which was pretty much used daily until the last couple of year when the farm started to wind down.

He has a Merc from he early 90s, you would think it was brand new. Until recently it was still running on the original brake disks, and tyres. He only ever uses it to tow his caravan, although he has been all over Europe with them.

Hes in his 90s but still gets all over the place, goes away for a break monthly in the VW camper. Then has a couple of European holidays with the merc and caravan.

There is also a couple of old bikes & tractors. The family used to have a coach company in the 60s & 70s, im sure they still have the coaches in one of the other buildings with god only knows what else.
Old 03 October 2011, 11:50 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mate has a couple of the old VW vans,he takes one with him to sleep in when he goes Banger Racing for the weekends.
Old 03 October 2011, 12:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Was there some sort of VW Camper convention on the South Coast this weekend? Never seen so many on the M23/M25. Some absolutely immaculate.

Didn't see any pick-ups like this though. Must be pretty rare? Is it an original option?

There are VW gatherings all through the summer so probably.

Full pick-ups and crew cab pick-ups were available from the factory, they are few and far between these days though.
Old 03 October 2011, 02:54 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Its EXTREMELY rare. Its 1950`s so was handbuilt in Wolfsburg (one of 500 in total), then the Hannover plant was built specifically to make commercials. It was hand built, note the lack of the peak above the windows too (started in the "new" vans when the Hannover plant opened.

The usual RHD & LHD vans have passenger (n/s) side lockers, the Swedish vans had LHD and Drivers side (o/s) lockers, due to Sweden just having swapped from RHD to LHD and the filling stations being on the "wrong" side of the road.

So its a prototype of the most iconic van ever made, and of the 500 or so made this due to being Swedish AND a pick-up is one of the VERY rarest.

He did say the early Subaru engines were DIRECT copies of the Type 25 Van engines, so newer ones will bolt straight on using a bell housing adapter
Old 03 October 2011, 03:20 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Back in my youth (not that long ago) I was into the classic VW scene and used to attend meets/runs all over the UK but mainly at Santa Pod / Stoneleigh and around the South Coast.

Any VW with a split screen whether type 1 or 2 is now worth major £'s almost regardless of condition. I'd love another Beetle myself and once the moneypit that is Impreza ownership has finished then I will get another air cooled VW.

But I've always really wanted a Karmann Ghia or a Fastback so you never know I might just get one of each yet.
Old 03 October 2011, 03:43 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Back in my youth (not that long ago) I was into the classic VW scene and used to attend meets/runs all over the UK but mainly at Santa Pod / Stoneleigh and around the South Coast.

Any VW with a split screen whether type 1 or 2 is now worth major £'s almost regardless of condition. I'd love another Beetle myself and once the moneypit that is Impreza ownership has finished then I will get another air cooled VW.

But I've always really wanted a Karmann Ghia or a Fastback so you never know I might just get one of each yet.

You remember them new lol.

Anyways he`s a Mk1 Polo, a Type 3 Fastback, and a few other newer cars.
So could be a VW meet and show all in himself lol.

But the VW stuff, why not put your engine into one??

The engine I removed from mine broken needs a crank and a conrod and bearings then will be in the back of a Vw (which I`m yet to see what can get for cheap/free).
Old 03 October 2011, 04:14 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I used to have a Karmann Ghia.

I have some pics somewhere?
Old 03 October 2011, 05:54 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
You remember them new lol.

Anyways he`s a Mk1 Polo, a Type 3 Fastback, and a few other newer cars.
So could be a VW meet and show all in himself lol.

But the VW stuff, why not put your engine into one??

The engine I removed from mine broken needs a crank and a conrod and bearings then will be in the back of a Vw (which I`m yet to see what can get for cheap/free).
When I go down the VW route again I'll be getting a standard car in terms of it being an air cooled VW engine. I'd like it to be as near factory as possible, I've seen a Subaru engined Beetle and it was a real botch job and was f*cking piece of cr@p. There are lots of engineering issues to overcome like water cooling and intercooling, I dare say they can be overcome with some ingenuity.

Now an air cooled Porsche engine is another matter...
Old 03 October 2011, 05:58 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
I used to have a Karmann Ghia.

I have some pics somewhere?
Hard or rag top? Never a fan of the cabriolet myself, I have always preferred the tin top.

When it comes to colour I'd go for the powder blue/white/yellow as a rule.

Any pics welcome.
Old 03 October 2011, 06:00 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

When I go down the VW route again I'll be getting a standard car in terms of it being an air cooled VW engine. I'd like it to be as near factory as possible, I've seen a Subaru engined Beetle and it was a real botch job and was f*cking piece of cr@p. There are lots of engineering issues to overcome like water cooling and intercooling, I dare say they can be overcome with some ingenuity.

Now an air cooled Porsche engine is another matter...
Well you better do it soon before they all go, or become stupidly expensive.

Have seen them done really well, and also bodged. Including an Alfa Sud engined one. But am seriously considering a pre 73 aircooled, but converted to EJ20. There is a few ways of doing it, and I`ve the guys who could know.
Old 04 October 2011, 11:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is going to be hard work naturally and I admire him for taking it on. I wish him good success and I hope we get a chance to see the finished article.

Les
Old 04 October 2011, 12:02 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Hard or rag top? Never a fan of the cabriolet myself, I have always preferred the tin top.

When it comes to colour I'd go for the powder blue/white/yellow as a rule.

Any pics welcome.
Hard top. It was imported from Germany so was lhd.

It was a great car but I got fed up with people trying to buy it so I gave in and sold it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	6684  
Old 04 October 2011, 01:30 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Its so old, Jesus was found in the back!

Is he going to try and keep the door logos, I like them?
Old 04 October 2011, 01:32 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
Its so old, Jesus was found in the back!

Is he going to try and keep the door logos, I like them?
Yep as far as I`m aware its to be made road legal, keeping as much as it is now as he can.

Last edited by Jimbob; 04 October 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04 October 2011, 03:17 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rescue Dude
Hard top. It was imported from Germany so was lhd.

It was a great car but I got fed up with people trying to buy it so I gave in and sold it.
Nice car, a real connoisseurs choice - they've always been desirable but if I go down the Ghia route then I'll try and find an exceptional RHD or if I have to go down the LHD route then a Californian import.

Or one of these

Or even

Old 05 October 2011, 02:24 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

why do people like these VW's so much??

Every weekend that I go round the M25 the hard shoulder is littered with broken down campers and to add insult to injury they are death traps as well!
Old 05 October 2011, 09:42 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
why do people like these VW's so much??

Every weekend that I go round the M25 the hard shoulder is littered with broken down campers and to add insult to injury they are death traps as well!
It's because for want of a better word they have character, if they are well maintained then why are they any more a death trap than any other road vehicle?

As for reliability the Subaru EJ20/25 series of engines are hardly world beating themselves.
Old 06 October 2011, 07:02 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

then why are they any more a death trap than any other road vehicle?
That is shocking if you or other people do not know why they are a death trap I can only guess that most of the surrey holidayers that spend most of there time on the hard shoulder don't know this either
Old 06 October 2011, 11:24 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

That is shocking if you or other people do not know why they are a death trap I can only guess that most of the surrey holidayers that spend most of there time on the hard shoulder don't know this either
Carbon Monoxide poisoning from the heat exchangers, brakes that don't work, crumple zone's are your face. Flintstone conversions as standard, bodies held together by rust. And usually worked on by people who shouldn't hold a spanner, let alone use one. If one hasn't been bodged then it's not real, the original heat proofing and shoes are made with asbestos.

But they just add character. Everything that tries to kill you is more fun!

Last edited by Jimbob; 06 October 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06 October 2011, 09:29 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Please don't quote only a partial segment of my post, are you trying to use my partial post out of context?

As it happens I do know quite a bit about 'potential deathtraps' having worked in the automotive trade for over 20 years, I'll say it again if a vehicle is maintained properly then it should not be a problem.

What are deathtraps are the poor maintained cars on the road that only ever get any form of maintenance when they break down or when the VOSA annual test is due. The VOSA test is only a minimum standard and not the gold standard some believe it to be.

My cars always have and always will be maintained well beyond the minimum, so if I get another air cooled VW or even a Porsche it will definitely not be a shed or deathtrap.

As I stated earlier a vehicle is only as safe as the maintenance or lack of allows it to be.

And airbags, ABS, ASR, EBS, SRS etc do not make you invicible either.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 06 October 2011 at 09:31 PM.