Zafira 2008 CTDI Juddering at 60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2011, 08:13 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Zafira 2008 CTDI Juddering at 60 MPH

Wishing id never bought this now. here my issue

I noticed juddering when accelerating to the point i had to ease off accelerator revs wouldnt climb, i dropped down and all was well for the rest of the day, later that week the EGR valve went, I thought it was linked but alas not.
I installed a new Valve after my m8 whos worked at JCT Vauxhall ran his laptop on the car no errors etc, we swapped out the EGR all wad fine, We checked over the car and noticed the DPF at 74% but left it.

Anyway i was going away a few weeks ago and asked wife if she had had any issues she mentioned this same judder, ( this is 3 hours bfeore i hit the sack next day we go away ) so i ring mate up and fly round to his, we check DPF its at 66% so we start a manual regen Melt the Tarmac and its now at 0%

Ok so ive just spent 2 weeks in Norfolk cars been fine and on way home im on A1 70 MPH 6th gear accelerate 2000 revs to 3000 and its starts this judder

i ease off and accelerate again it wont do it again GRRRRRRRRRRR

So taking into mind ive a clean DPF and new EGR i can cast them nightmare bits aside,

Im thinking Dual Mass fly wheel or Clutch Plate, if this is so how come i never see it in 1st etc, mainly 3rd 4th how do these work

and if clutch plate ??? I dont know cars so please ignore my ignorance, but if i take it to Evans halashaw in leeds i wanna go in saying i think it could be .........

The feeling of the judder is a but like a rubber band slipping. also what i noticed is on acceleration ever so slightly it feels to be surging like waves of power not smooth, its only very slight though wife cant tell

Not a constant climb but a climb with a slight dip if you had it on a dyno it would look like a wave as though somethings having issues with the torque band

So can anybody help me could it be a DUal Mass, do these wear Out or do you just tighten em up ? what is the judder, explain please

thanks guys

Ted

Spoke to Garage today and he reakoned possible sticking Valve but surely id see that at lower end too

any of you any ideas as to what the bag of **** does it high up at 60 70 when under acceleration only ?
Old 25 August 2011, 08:23 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you under warranty? I feel you pain and hate of these cars......

We had a Zafira SRi CDTi with a wheel wobble from new. VX replaced it with another new Zafira but that had the same issues, sold it after 2 months and replaced it with a VW Touran.

Dual mass flywheel is basically two parts of steel separated by rubber. Its supposed to damp out some of the diesel vibration. When they wear thats it they need replacing.

If it is dual mass flywheel it'll need replacing (not cheap) but my money is on either the sticking valve or a failed/failing sensor somewhere.

Last edited by BLU; 25 August 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 25 August 2011, 08:29 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

out of warrenty

Im thinking of taking Masetrfit or car care Plan then logging it,

The cars ok only when 60 + so i can get by for a month or 2, just so bad its annoying.

Just dont want to burn loads mending it

I actually rang up and asked salesmen to swap me it for a 1.8 petrol see what he does LOL

would a sticking valve now show Blu at low revs though why only high up speeds ?

very intermitant too cant do it all the time
Old 26 August 2011, 11:13 AM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd suspect a sticking valve would show all the time, maybe less so at low revs. It would also give lumpy tickover. The more I think the more it sounds like a sensor failing or a fuel/air supply problem.
Old 26 August 2011, 12:40 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

im gonna chuck some redX through it just incase theres some crap in the injectors.

then book it in
Old 26 August 2011, 01:03 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to join www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk if you havent already as the techs on there will diagnose this for you, they are masters of this engine. You may also want to look into the 'swirl flap' problem as that is common on these engines.

For the future you rarely actually have to replace the egr on these engines, they merely need cleaning, 6 bolts, 20 minutes and some carb cleaner
Old 26 August 2011, 01:35 PM
Luckyscoob
Scooby Regular

Feel for you buddy. We bought a Zaf CDTi '56' plate a year ago and I can honestly say the Vauxhall should hang their heads in shame at producing such an unreliable car. I have had nothing but problems, EGR valve, DPF filter, Altenator, and even now the thing runs rough every now and again, smells of burning and the exhaust sounds like its at 1000 degrees!.

I also have a whistle from the turbo (we think) although vauxhall say they cant find anything wrong but agree it is excessively loud.

I had the very same judder you are talking about but it seemed to go after its last service?

I want to sell it but it seems that shortly after I bought it from a dealer it is now worth about 3k less!!!.

My first and LAST vauxhall. Such a shame cause it could be a nice car. If we are going anywhere far, we now take the scoob as I know we will get there and back, which defeats the object really.
Old 26 August 2011, 01:35 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

ive posted on there molly and no1 replied User Tobamory
Old 26 August 2011, 01:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob
Feel for you buddy. We bought a Zaf CDTi '56' plate a year ago and I can honestly say the Vauxhall should hang their heads in shame at producing such an unreliable car. I have had nothing but problems, EGR valve, DPF filter, Altenator, and even now the thing runs rough every now and again, smells of burning and the exhaust sounds like its at 1000 degrees!.

I also have a whistle from the turbo (we think) although vauxhall say they cant find anything wrong but agree it is excessively loud.

I had the very same judder you are talking about but it seemed to go after its last service?

I want to sell it but it seems that shortly after I bought it from a dealer it is now worth about 3k less!!!.

My first and LAST vauxhall. Such a shame cause it could be a nice car. If we are going anywhere far, we now take the scoob as I know we will get there and back, which defeats the object really.
That smelling is the regen on the DPF, i actually set mine off manually and melted the tarmac in the street LOL.

My wifes is an Elite so it holds the value im hoping with a couple of hundred down i can chip it in for a meriva 1.4 T or Zaffy 1.8 design

fingers crossed,
Old 26 August 2011, 02:46 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
ive posted on there molly and no1 replied User Tobamory
No such user mate, are you sure you went on astraownersnetwork as opposed to astraownersclub? Big difference
Old 26 August 2011, 02:47 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luckyscoob

If you had a similar judder that went after a service then there is a chance that it was software related rather than mechanical and was resolved with an update. I had the same on my Astra 1.9
Old 26 August 2011, 03:37 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

ahh i,ll join now vauxhall owners network im on

I am on Littleted

:/ and have posted
Old 26 August 2011, 03:45 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
ahh i,ll join now vauxhall owners network im on

I am on Littleted

:/ and have posted
good man, have seen your thread, am sure even more answers will be along shortly
Old 26 August 2011, 04:26 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

QQ do the garages have a much more fancy setup than my m8s latops optiCon ?

Im presuming the stuttering im seeing in acceleration would have been logged on the ECU or am i dreaming with Vauxhall. ?
Old 29 August 2011, 08:03 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I'm not familiar with the DMFs on these cars but I think shuddering at "medium" revs (for a diesel), isn't how it should show up. (Reading about the web a bit, it'd likely "rattle" at biting point if clutch is used in neutral).

Do the MAF sensors go on these engines? Do they even have a MAF?