Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mercedes-Benz A180 CDI Classic SE

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2011, 09:11 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mercedes-Benz A180 CDI Classic SE

Anyone with any experience of the above. My wife wants a change and has seen one of these she likes.
She spends most of her time on the motorway and covers around 2.5k miles a month so the service schedule and associated costs are high on the list.

Old 06 July 2011, 05:52 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Guess they're cack then
Old 06 July 2011, 06:00 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope - you are just asking in the BMW section of the site

What year? Early ones are not the best (late 90's build issues as with most Mercs of the era).

Later ones improved a lot. Ask on the two main MB forums for the UK www.mbclub.co.uk is one, can't remember the other url off hand.

5t.
Old 06 July 2011, 09:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

We are looking at this one
Old 06 July 2011, 09:41 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

My wife has the same eyesight as yours

She has a thing for those and that little Audi they did (A2??? mini people carrier type thing?) they are banned from our garage

Sure as a merc it must be fine...
Old 06 July 2011, 10:30 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

MSN has the Audi A2 on their top ten of surprisingly expensive and unreliable motors!

The A-Class doesn't seem to do too badly. You still see more of them than the bigger B-Class they brought out. People seem to like them and they do enough that owners aren't interested in a bigger version.

The web link says gearbox issues, pretty sure that is specifically the first generation semi-automatics, hence the strong showing in the 2008 JD Power survey (car has been around 10 years by this point.) It is right though, they are pricey but it also admits they are well screwed together. You could buy something a lot cheaper but it'll carry on dropping, the high price shows they retain value, it wouldn't do that if they weren't well thought of. I'd go and have a look at least, nothing to lose is there really? Plus you don't know whether you like it if you don't try it.

5t.
Old 06 July 2011, 10:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Worked on a couple. Best I can say is the damn things are ****-eyed.

Not saying thats a bad thing, but when you are used to working various cars you get an idea of how they bolt together. Well, these things just odd. Not typical Merc, sort of a cross between French logic and German quality.

But then they are part Swiss , so maybe that explains it The A-class was originally developed off a Smart concept (Swatch).
Old 07 July 2011, 08:49 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the input. We're gonna go for a closer look and maybe have a drive. We're also looking at a Cooper D as they seem to tick all the boxes too. Anyone have any input on these?
Old 07 July 2011, 10:15 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Boot = same size as classic mini. 3 carrier bags, that's your lot. Apart from that, not sure how they go on a derv motor!

5t.
Old 07 July 2011, 10:23 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Boot is not important - she only fills it full of crap anyway. The interweb implies tha the engine is closely related to a ford and Pug unit.
Old 07 July 2011, 10:28 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

We were tempted.60+ mpg and 1p to tax.

And it looks like a car!

Went for 3 series as we did need a boot
Old 07 July 2011, 11:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Brun
Boot is not important - she only fills it full of crap anyway. The interweb implies tha the engine is closely related to a ford and Pug unit.

Mini 1.6 Diesel is the PSA unit...

The exact same unit is found in Mazda, Ford, Citroen, Peugeot, Suzuki and Volvo. Although Mini dealers/mags will tell you its their own engine. (its not) Its a good engine, aluminium alloy block so its very light for a diesel. Just keep it well serviced (even if driven for low miles) and don't let the particulate filter clog (if you get a light on the dash DO NOT ignore it! ).

Earlier models had a Toyota sourced unit. The lastest Cooper SD uses BMW's 2.0 diesel

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 July 2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08 July 2011, 11:50 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Only just seen this thread.
My mum has an A160 petrol so I cant comment on the engine but the A class is very well screwed together, I drove it for a week or so when my own car needed a new turbo and drove a 50 mile round trip daily on motorways.
I found the car cruised very well on motorways, felt far bigger than it was, really nice to drive and a piece of pi$$ to park.
I also like the rear seats will lift out similar to people carriers which almost makes it like a mini van when needed which is extremely useful.
My mums must be over 10 years old now and never had any issues, she has it serviced at a local garage, it goes no where near a main dealer.
Infact the only issue is we can't get the head unit out to change it for anything! just wont budge.
Great car though, i'd buy one for the wife
Old 09 July 2011, 06:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Thanks again for the input.
Well we went for a spin in it. Loved the look and the equipment levels but the drive left me wanting. She currently has a Fab VRS so wants some poke, unfortunately this had little in the way of poke. We didn't expect a rocket ship as it's only 110bhp or there abouts but it just didn't have enough.
On our way back we stopped off at a gararge and found another possibility.. see my new thread - 118d