Ok-so I think I've made a bit of a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2011, 08:40 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok-so I think I've made a bit of a mistake

Well, this is a little embarrassing.

I've had the 535d MS for a few months and I'm not sure how long this can last. The car has a lot of positives

1) I really like the way it looks.

2) The interior is gorgeous. I've had a look at current offerings from MB and Audi and they don't come close. I know some people may argue this point but there really is no contest.

3) The toys are fantastic.

There are three issues though

1) Power. This was always going to be a potential problem after a M5. I thought I had grown out of the need for savage power but perhaps I haven't. I could probably still live with the power issue if it wasn't for the next two issues..

2) The steering. The F10 is known to have lighter steering than the E60, but I specced Integrated Active Steering without having tested it first. I think this has made it even lighter/less feedback.

3) The ride. This is a huge issue. Over smooth roads it feels great, much better than the M5. But as soon as it hits a big bump/pothole it loses the plot in a way my M5 never did. If I hit one of these big bumps mid corner I sh6t my pants because the whole car just seems as though it's going to lose it.

I don't quite know how I've arrived at this situation. I think its combination of things

1) I thought I had grown out of the whole fast/supercar thing and actually I haven't

2) Perhaps I expected too much from a heavy large family diesel.

One of the reasons I went over to this car was because I was fed up with fuel bills on the M5. Now I'm thinking the fuel bills are something I'll have to just learn to live with because I need a super/special car in my life. This may sound shallow but life is short.

Anyway, the question is where do I go from here? Firstly I know a few of you told me this would happen. You know who you are and I know who you are, so please no rubbing it in my face. At my age I should have known better, I was trying to be a sensible father of two but it has backfired.

Also I know we have all got stuck into the slagging BMW/MB/Audi thing (including me) in the past but I need to move beyond this.

I'm confused as to what to do. Get rid of the car know whilst they are still in 'relatively' short supply and so half decent residual? But what to buy?

The E63 AMG? Its meant to be a stonking car, the write ups are all great. But the current E class looks horrid to me, the lines are so square it looks like a box. The interior is hideous compared to my 5.

The new CLS AMG? I went to the MB garage today and the new CLS (non AMG demo car) looks very nice in the flesh, plenty of room in the back for the kids. Must say though the interior still feels a little cheap and plasticky compared to my 5. However the AMG has barely come out yet and I can't afford the £75k+ price tag and huge depreciation that comes with it.

The new M5? It won't come out until the end of the year and will cost £80k+ so again over budget (considering depreciation as well)

Not quite sure what to do...............
Old 19 April 2011, 08:47 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would suggest a bug sti lol and keep the cash in the bank for when something exceptional comes along dont buy a merc there overpriced tat and you will be saying the same things this time next year and you know it or theres always the m3 to change things around
Old 19 April 2011, 08:58 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Right, I won't say it but....

What about keeping it and buying a little powerful something for the weekends?

If not that, then take the hit and trade it in.
You say you're not keen on the E-class?

What about a nearly new C63 AMG?

I dunno, just as we thought you'd moved up into old man's shoes something's grabbed you by the collar and pulled you back to your rightful place...
Old 19 April 2011, 09:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ding - have you ever tried a completely mental track type car like an R400 Caterham or silly Westfield?

Ballistic performance, can be bought for sensible prices, light on fuel, a bit mad.

That alongside the BM might be worth a look?

Or something like an Evo IX FQ360 - coming up pretty cheap, easy to tune, bonkers rapid.
Old 19 April 2011, 09:03 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

sorry to hear that, horrible feeling to think you have made the wrong decision

put your "sensible hat" back on the hook, and get back in the game

edited to say - as above get a vx220 turbo or summin

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 19 April 2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 19 April 2011, 09:22 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

How much have you saved on fuel versus the M5 and how much have you lost in depreciation versus the M5 over the same time period?
Old 19 April 2011, 09:51 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

No car is fun with a roof!

Go for Matteeboys suggestion
Old 19 April 2011, 11:10 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Wow!! For three reasons...

BMW steering has really lost the plot - Truda's 1 Series has very weird steering - it's just wrong!

I am really surprised that the big turbo diesel seems that slow - as a 530d owner they are fast real world cars.

Finally - impressed at you 'fessing up - although the hints were there - no sensible suggestions to be honest...

...a 911 GTS? Brilliant value and likely to have strong residuals. Best thing this side of a GT3. With 2+2 seating.
Old 19 April 2011, 11:10 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Alpina perhaps?
Old 19 April 2011, 11:15 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Is it on run flats Ding? Also a remap may help if they are available yet.

I am sorry to hear this. A mate did something similar and bought a big engined Audi as he was sold by the torque. After 3 weeks he was bored ****less and decided to change if for a e46 m3.
Old 19 April 2011, 11:20 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matteboy's suggestion sounds like a sensible one.
Old 19 April 2011, 11:25 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Remap when available and ditch the runflats as Jimpreza.
Old 20 April 2011, 12:42 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wonder if the BM's steering assistance level is adjustable via the diagnostics port. Like that on some VAGs (unfortunately not my R32 ).

Try taking an A8 diesel for a spin. Steering is still a bit poo, but its alot more comfy - it has active suspension that actually works - knock the gearbox into sport mode and everything firms up quite nicely. Problem is if you could live with the depreciation and lesser performance/handling as it is a tad nose heavy (although it masks it far better than the A4 or S4 for example )
Old 20 April 2011, 07:30 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Crickey Ding

Is there really that much difference between it and your old M5?

When you've forked out that much money and it still doesn't tick all the boxes then it may have to go. Get your name down for the new M5 for the release date, you know you want to and could be your only choice.
Old 20 April 2011, 08:16 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

DD good to see you're still a boy at heart

Have you thought about Lexus ISF seem to get good reviews and nice big V8 under the bonnet....if you can do it though get something AMG powered, i don't like Mercedes but those AMGs are mental, that's you're best bet
Old 20 April 2011, 09:15 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Diesel power was never going to stir the loins Ding. I think for your requirements as mentioned already, one of the AMGs would probably fit the bill better. What about a used Bentley Conti? W12 twin turbo, bags of power and relaxing.
Old 20 April 2011, 09:16 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Get it chipped and get rid of the runflats

As for the steering, nowt you can do, its not been highly praised since it was launched that active steering lark!
Old 20 April 2011, 10:00 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies and mature attitude towards the whole thing

1) Remap? Power isn't the biggest issue here, I could live with the power especially given it returns decent mpg.

2) Yes its on run flats and I'm pretty sure they have quite a part to play in the flawed ride. So getting rid of the run flats could help

3) Mental track car? I don't do track days and would like to be able to get my kids in the car if its a road car.

4) Since the steering is electric you would presume it could be improved with a software tweak but god knows if this will ever happen.

So the question is shall I start spending more money on it ie run flats, remap or get rid now?

The C class coupe AMG looks interesting, not out yet but soon. It may just be big enough for my needs if its a tad bigger than the m3 coupe. The cls amg would be more practical but it will be more expensive and probably have worse depreciation.

I'm on my phone at the moment, could somebody put a link up to the c coupe amg video advert on the web for everybody to have a look at?

Thanks again

Last edited by Dingdongler; 20 April 2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 20 April 2011, 10:22 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
So the question is shall I start spending more money on it ie run flats, remap or get rid now?

The C class coupe AMG looks interesting, not out yet but soon. It may just be big enough for my needs if its a tad bigger than the m3 coupe. The cls amg would be more practical but it will be more expensive and probably have worse depreciation.

I'm on my phone at the moment, could somebody put a link up to the c coupe amg video advert on the web for everybody to have a look at?

Thanks again
If you don't like the steering then changing the runflats and remap aren't going to solve this are they....get rid now....

C Coupe AMG is the nuts, do it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAVQfXdVCco
Old 20 April 2011, 10:33 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Have you considered supercharging an E9X M3? It's a decent size car and the supercharged ones on M3cutters kick out 642bhp+.

One of them had a play with a 458 Italia and the owner reckoned he was all over it. You could buy a decent M3 and supercharge it for less than £40k.
Old 20 April 2011, 10:35 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

C63 AMG is meant to be an awsome car idf a little trickier to control than the BM - perhaps that might tickle the fancy?

Alternatively, if we are looking at madness what about going for a used motor so you are less likely to lose a big wedge if you don't like it? Nice looking CL65 AMG here, 612bhp should do it. Downside, 2 door, up side, isofix for the kiddy seats. Someone has managed to afford 90,000 miles of juice too so they seem to have enough cash to run it properly.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/spott...ht_1173wt_1139

5t.
Old 20 April 2011, 11:01 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Here ya go - space for the kids too.

Old 20 April 2011, 11:15 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

TThanks for putting the link up Alloy, does look good in white doesn't it?

Craig, interesting suggestion but don't really want to run a highly modified car. Those sorts of cars need constant tweaking and I just don't have the time for that.

Five, I thought about the cl63 before and it looks gorgeous. The thing is I wonder how something that big will handle. Iirc it also has the older 7g auto, the newer amgs have the wet clutch which I 've been told really transform the driving experience.

Matee I can't see the link, what is it?

Btw sorry if it seems like I'm shooting down everybodies ideas, its just that I can't afford to make a wrong decision again.
Old 20 April 2011, 11:30 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

White is so 2009!!
Old 20 April 2011, 11:32 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ding- oops. It's the Space Shuttle

With more money my options would be:

New B10 (5 series Touring) Alpina with over 500bhp but very stealth.
C63 AMG Estate
New 550i Touring
Panamera Turbo.

I'm also constantly attracted to Range Rovers. The 500bhp V8 version would be nice.

However being realistic, our current fleetlet is my "fairly modest car" ideal stable and covers every angle fairly well. I'd only consider a mad Caterfield for looning about in - that's it.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 20 April 2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 20 April 2011, 11:39 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Five, I thought about the cl63 before and it looks gorgeous. The thing is I wonder how something that big will handle. Iirc it also has the older 7g auto, the newer amgs have the wet clutch which I 've been told really transform the driving experience.

I can't afford to make a wrong decision again.
Not driven one so can't comment I'm afraid but most things I've read (which is by no means close to getting a go) suggest it is a bit lairy thanks to the power but is more of a GT so presses on well but keeps the comfort.

Give a few a try I say and possibly look at some nicely used models (that CL should go for around 30k not bad for a 150k car when new) that way if you fall in love with the initial experience but out once you have it day to day you should be able to punt on for the same cost.

Only other thing I can think of is keep the sensible car and have a wee toy to play with like an Atom or something banzai.

5t.
Old 20 April 2011, 11:41 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
White is so 2009!!

OY MINES WHITE!!!

It is a 2009 reg though
Old 20 April 2011, 11:55 AM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Hi, i think you should strongly consider the Jauguar XFR or the XF SV8.

beautiful to look at, wonderful to be in, even better to drive. If you are looking for "no contest" decisions, that would seriously get my vote. You can get a nice 2008 XF SV8 for £25k, if you fancy the rip roting 5 litre XFR then you are at about 43k but this is the newer engine and a newer car.

mikey
Old 20 April 2011, 12:07 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

That's a good shout the XK (probably not enough room for Ding) and the XF are both lovely looking motors.
Old 20 April 2011, 12:20 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Ding,

What suspension has yours got? Did you not fit lowering springs?

I suspect your mistake was speccing the IAS and possibly the suspension options. Non run flats should help a lot - try and get a drive in an Alpina and see what the difference is.

Quick Reply: Ok-so I think I've made a bit of a mistake