Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Audi make another rubbish RS

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2010, 04:02 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi make another rubbish RS

The RS6 was basically a let down for the price and came third to the M5 and E63 AMG and now they've failed at making a M3 beater.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=22730
Old 06 November 2010, 04:46 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Typical, car made for fat yanks, and no skill new rich people.

Old 06 November 2010, 04:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The only surprise here is that anyone might expect Audi to make a good car
Old 06 November 2010, 08:37 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I think the A5 looks great (must have 19" alloys or bigger tho), so its a pity this is rated as poor, but then I agree you don't tend to expect Audi's to be great drives generally - I think the B7 RS4 was the exception rather than the start of good driving dynamics for their sporty models.

Think I'd go for an M3 over this, however I don't reckon the current generation M3 looks as good as it should - a bit too understated - M-Sport coupe with the optional 19's looks almost as good.
Old 06 November 2010, 09:19 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive owned a few Audi,s they have all been good solid cars . real good cabins , better all around than the other german cars
Old 06 November 2010, 09:21 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I was fed my own **** by an A5 30 TDi quattro today. I have come to the conclusion that a) my bug desperately needs mapping and b) I cant drive!
Old 06 November 2010, 09:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Old 06 November 2010, 09:32 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
I know........ thinking about it though, 240-250bhp in a diesel versus 218bhp in a wrx with a biff at the wheel. The outcome was inevitable..........

Ill see him again, when I get the vf35 fitted and mapped in......
Old 06 November 2010, 09:40 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Seriously though the problem seems to be Audis insistence that they make sporty cars. If they tried a different approach, giving up the pretense that they are rivals to BMW with regards to handling and dynamics and focused on shouting about what they do best i.e. making first rate, high quality cabins, sophistication and making cars that look as though they are styled and built like business suits of metal. Addressing class rather than sportyness while still offering effortless power might mean people start giving them a break.
Old 06 November 2010, 09:43 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Seriously though the problem seems to be Audis insistence that they make sporty cars. If they tried a different approach, giving up the pretense that they are rivals to BMW with regards to handling and dynamics and focused on shouting about what they do best i.e. making first rate, high quality cabins, sophistication and making cars that look as though they are styled and built like business suits of metal. Addressing class rather than sportyness while still offering effortless power might mean people start giving them a break.
I agree, and then they wont put themselves in the firing line with the competition, as you say, BMW and M-B. The cars are quick, but arent most in that class these days?
Old 06 November 2010, 09:45 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
I was fed my own **** by an A5 30 TDi quattro today. I have come to the conclusion that a) my bug desperately needs mapping and b) I cant drive!
a 3L audi can be remapped to the same power as a bmw 335 / 535 , and is a much better safer car to own
Old 06 November 2010, 09:47 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alanbell
a 3L audi can be remapped to the same power as a bmw 335 / 535 , and is a much better safer car to own
It seemed quick enough thanks, a little quicker than mine but with the quicker getaway! I didnt particularly fancy gunning it round the lanes like he was, and he had a LOT more to lose!
Old 06 November 2010, 09:49 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
The RS6 was basically a let down for the price and came third to the M5 and E63 AMG and now they've failed at making a M3 beater.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=22730
links about a RS5
Old 06 November 2010, 09:52 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

It amazes me how few I see in ditches to be honest. Where I live there are enough twisty lanes, dips and crests accompanied by fast driving Audi drivers I cant understand how they stay on the road being so heavy and 'unsporty'.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:03 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

How is a remapped 3.0TDI safer to own?! A 335d will still hand a 3.0TDIs **** on a plate, even with a remap, handle ten times better and use less fuel. BMW have nailed diesels. Audi are well wide of the mark.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 06 November 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:03 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

It amazes me how few I see in ditches to be honest. Where I live there are enough twisty lanes, dips and crests accompanied by fast driving Audi drivers I cant understand how they stay on the road being so heavy and 'unsporty'.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:07 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
How is a remapped 3.0TDI safer to own?! A 335d will still hand a 3.0TDIs **** on a plate with a remap, handle ten times better and use less fuel. BMW have nailed diesels. Audi are well wide of the mark.
Matt looking at emaps ecu remapping it takes the 3L audi to the same power as the bmw 335 /535 , and 4 wheel drive is better thah 2 , imo
Old 06 November 2010, 10:13 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Ive owned a few Audi,s they have all been good solid cars . real good cabins , better all around than the other german cars
Hardly an endorsement as a great drivers car

They do make beautiful interiors, solid cars. Just not dynamic - at least all those I have driven.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:14 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Hardly an endorsement as a great drivers car

They do make beautiful interiors, solid cars. Just not dynamic - at least all those I have driven.
come and try mine I will have it on track near you soon ish .

Last edited by alanbell; 06 November 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:17 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

come and try mine
I will, and report back to Fishy!!
Old 06 November 2010, 10:23 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Matt looking at emaps ecu remapping it takes the 3L audi to the same power as the bmw 335 /535 , and 4 wheel drive is better thah 2 , imo
No they are still down on power. If you think AWD is better than RWD, toy have mo clue about performance cars. Audis almost all handle averagely. BMs don't.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:27 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Half the time I wish I could chuck my 4wheel drive to lighten it and to prevent loosing any horses in the drive chain, or what ever its called. There are of course more than a few times Im pleased its there but if its pure performance Im after Im with Matteeboy on that on.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:33 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

No they are still down on power. If you think AWD is better than RWD, toy have mo clue about performance cars. Audis almost all handle averagely. BMs don't.
yeh mate
Old 06 November 2010, 10:33 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only driven an S3, it was quick but dull as dishwater to drive, poor gearchange and little to no feedback from the steering wheel. My mate loves it his though and wouldn't dream of owning anything other than a fast Audi.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:34 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I love audi sports models. They suit my my lazy half arsed driving style and are slated by "the experts".
Makes them 20-30% cheaper than the equivalent BMW.
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Half the time I wish I could chuck my 4wheel drive to lighten it and to prevent loosing any horses in the drive chain, or what ever its called. There are of course more than a few times Im pleased its there but if its pure performance Im after Im with Matteeboy on that on.
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Mate,

you do my nut in with your holier than though rose tinted glasses about BMW, how dare anyone say anything against them on a car forum eh!!!

I have owned 3 scoobs including a spec c, 350 z, and now have a B7 RS4, had my mates Remapped 535D Msport for 2 weeks and no doubt it was a good car but every car mentioned i have owned had better feel and position on the road.

Face fact, your OPINION is biased on NOT SEEING beyond Beemers.

Looking forward to your usual sarcastic comment about me and my cars or even a personal insult if i have upset you enough.

Mac
Old 06 November 2010, 10:36 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I have only driven an S3, it was quick but dull as dishwater to drive, poor gearchange and little to no feedback from the steering wheel. My mate loves it his though and wouldn't dream of owning anything other than a fast Audi.
I think these guys are taking more the larger Audis, but cant confirm or deny whether the biggies are any better. I would not definitely agree that RWD has the edge over AWD in every instance though, there are plusses and minuses for both. I presume RWD drivers think it makes them better drivers, because they are 'dabbling with death' on every quick bend!
Old 06 November 2010, 10:47 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
No doubt they have their own niche market but NOT as a sports car.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:51 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenosewrx
Mate,

you do my nut in with your holier than though rose tinted glasses about BMW, how dare anyone say anything against them on a car forum eh!!!

I have owned 3 scoobs including a spec c, 350 z, and now have a B7 RS4, had my mates Remapped 535D Msport for 2 weeks and no doubt it was a good car but every car mentioned i have owned had better feel and position on the road.

Face fact, your OPINION is biased on NOT SEEING beyond Beemers.

Looking forward to your usual sarcastic comment about me and my cars or even a personal insult if i have upset you enough.

Mac
better than fireworks this

Quick Reply: Audi make another rubbish RS