Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Land Rover Defender

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2010, 09:31 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land Rover Defender

Considering getting an early 90's Defender diesel what problems with them should I be looking out for?

TIA
Old 20 July 2010, 10:57 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

transfer boxes, gearbox, turbo seals, overly bad smoke, oil leak in the rear diff. the worst thing that happens in the landies is rust, check the front bulkhead for too much rust as they are a ****** to replace, also check the chassis thougherly as they rust badly as well. other then that they are reliable good workhorses.
Old 21 July 2010, 08:38 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

If planning on off roading in one then join one of the many off road forums, will get plenty of tips what to look for and what to buy. Much more options available for LR products. If using it as an everyday vehicle then I would suggest looking at the jap competion. Much better as an everday drive, less bits drop off and just as capable off road.

Richard
Old 21 July 2010, 07:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
If planning on off roading in one then join one of the many off road forums, will get plenty of tips what to look for and what to buy. Much more options available for LR products. If using it as an everyday vehicle then I would suggest looking at the jap competion. Much better as an everday drive, less bits drop off and just as capable off road.

Richard
+1
Old 21 July 2010, 08:41 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last time i saw a jap offroading it was being pulled out of a bomb hole. by...thats right.. a defender.

Everything goes wrong with a landrover. its part of the experiance. and as thats the case its never actually broken. its just always in a state of not quite 100%

And remember.. a defender that isnt leaking oil. doesnt have any oil left in it to leak.

Cracking cars. Really good fun n all!
Old 21 July 2010, 08:56 PM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyc
last time i saw a jap offroading it was being pulled out of a bomb hole. by...thats right.. a defender.

Everything goes wrong with a landrover. its part of the experiance. and as thats the case its never actually broken. its just always in a state of not quite 100%

And remember.. a defender that isnt leaking oil. doesnt have any oil left in it to leak.

have to completely agree with you there, plus how much character have you got in a jap off roader, none.
Old 21 July 2010, 09:09 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

300TDi engine generally considered the best one to have. The Td5 was a step backwards, the current unit (a Ford Transit engine) is a leap backwards.

Driven 1000s of miles in them and love them. They do break a lot but they are too cool to care.
Old 21 July 2010, 10:07 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

yep -- as they say in Australia

"if you want to become a good bush mechanic -- get a LandRover"
Old 22 July 2010, 08:22 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

You'll be lucky to see a Landrover in the middle east or Africa unless it is owned by the UN, lots of land cruisers and Patrols etc, why, off road ability, durability and reliability - if you buy a landie you get none of these, character should not be confused with poor quality and unreliability, not in this day and age.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:28 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

I totally disagree.

My Defender 90 is about 95% reliable.

Ive only made it back under my own steam from an off roading event without anything broken once.

for anyone that didnt get that im saying the reliably break everytime. But thats half the fun
Old 22 July 2010, 10:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I totally disagree.

My Defender 90 is about 95% reliable.

Ive only made it back under my own steam from an off roading event without anything broken once.

for anyone that didnt get that im saying the reliably break everytime. But thats half the fun
Not of you live in harsh climates and need a reliable vehicle - your second statement contradicts your first statement, you mean 95% unreliable surely? it leans towards them being for fun and recreation not a serious tool or workhorse. Most people prize reliability and quality highly in their vehicles

I am a fan of LR but have worked in countries where they will not touch them as they cannot cope with harsh conditions anywhere near as well as the as the jap competition - the Landcrusiers, Pajer's and patrols of this world, not the Suzuki Vitaras
Old 22 July 2010, 10:45 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

No i mean reliable. They reliably break. everytime. reliable as clockwork.

Yes top toy. and probably awesome if your doing an exped. As who wants a boring unchallenging overland.

But yes for humanitarian work prolly best to go jap lol.

Last edited by scoobyc; 22 July 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 22 July 2010, 11:15 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
character should not be confused with poor quality and unreliability, not in this day and age.

i see you drive a scoob, as do i for the character. i'm on my second and theres not a month that goes by without it needing work as most people will say about them as well. all i know is my brother runs a 200tdi 90, 300tdi discovery, td5 discovery and a td5 110 hicap, none of them ever have to go to the garage and he uses them hard towing diggers and so forth. i also had a 300tdi discovery for 3 years and not a single thing went wrong and that was driving 80 miles a day to and from work, wish i'd kept it now as i wouldn't be car less again now.
Old 22 July 2010, 11:16 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

No i mean reliable. They reliably break. everytime. reliable as clockwork.

Yes top toy. and probably awesome if your doing an exped. As who wants a boring unchallenging overland.

But yes for humanitarian work prolly best to go jap lol.
If by humanitarian and un-challenging you mean getting yourself and you family safely and reliably from a to b then yes, a Landcruiser-a-like makes good sense.

is this you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPER...eature=related
Old 22 July 2010, 11:20 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
i see you drive a scoob, as do i for the character. i'm on my second and theres not a month that goes by without it needing work as most people will say about them as well. all i know is my brother runs a 200tdi 90, 300tdi discovery, td5 discovery and a td5 110 hicap, none of them ever have to go to the garage and he uses them hard towing diggers and so forth. i also had a 300tdi discovery for 3 years and not a single thing went wrong and that was driving 80 miles a day to and from work, wish i'd kept it now as i wouldn't be car less again now.
I ride a QZ250e Stinger and drive a Honda Accord 2.0l The 10 y/o Honda has just clocked 100,000 miles and never, ever let us down (touch wood)

I had am MY99 scoob from new, kept it three years, put 60k on it - slightly modded it and only ever changed the disks and pads - disks covered under warranty, apart from servicing it and tyres.
I bought it because i liked the looks, liked the warranty/reliability and liked the performance, not too sure it had a character/personality as such. it drove so much better and came alive unlike the Audi S3 and Alfa 156 24v cloverleaf i test drove as well.
It got driven like i stole it some of the time and had a hard life but well maintained - Very reliable car!

I had a landcruiser in Dubai, 2 y/o 4.3 v6 petrol i think and from memory. reliable and never missed a beat, it got driven hard each and every day of its life, i was its second owner and it had covered some 80km, you did not see many of the 'locals' or expats driving Landies and with good reason

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 July 2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 22 July 2010, 11:56 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
If by humanitarian and un-challenging you mean getting yourself and you family safely and reliably from a to b then yes, a Landcruiser-a-like makes good sense.

is this you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNybnRkj-MY & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPER...eature=related
And i thought it was only me with the orange jacket
Old 22 July 2010, 11:59 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Morale of the story Mad555.

If you want a reliable offroader. Go jap.

Anything else go Defender . As like smoking, they are cool.
Old 22 July 2010, 12:47 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

My Dad's got an SWB van-style TDi "N-reg" so I guess that's 1996. He lives out in the sticks in West Wales so it's handy for the bad weather and towing trailers and boats. Out there everyone has one and his is one of the newest! You just chuck your dogs and rubbish in the back and off you trot. I am sure that modern Jap stuff is more reliable, but I don't think his Defender has ever let him down in 10 years or so and yet it sits outside 100% of the time. Even your grandma can maintain a Land Rover, and also I believe that most of the panels are aluminium, unlike a Jap car, but of course everything else rusts!
Old 22 July 2010, 01:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Morale of the story Mad555.

If you want a reliable offroader. Go jap.

Anything else go Defender . As like smoking, they are cool.
+1

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 July 2010 at 02:45 PM.