Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Thoughts on these cars

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2010, 07:54 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on these cars

I am on the lookout for a replacement car and I have considered loads of different types but I have decided it has to be a hothatch of some sort.
I have driven the Astra [and I was impressed] but I am not the sort to go and test drive cars' just to see how they drive.
Any opinions on the below cars all between 220-240 bhp? - 15k budget.

Astra VXR Burg
Megane 230 R26
Seat Leon Cupra [Possibly a K1]
Focus St
Golf GTI edition 30
Old 19 July 2010, 08:08 PM
daddyscooby
Scooby Regular

astra vxr burg for me, very nice cars
Old 19 July 2010, 08:10 PM
Useless
Scooby Regular

Golf all day long for me.

Ben
Old 19 July 2010, 08:25 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

ST or VXR,
Not that Ive driven any of them but from what Ive heard a Renault will probably fall apart, the Golf will (from experience, and my brother in laws, and my mates), dont know much about Seats but having lived in Spain I find it hard to buy anything with 'made in Spain' written on it.
Old 19 July 2010, 08:39 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,d choose the Astra over the others, then the Focus St.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Golf or Megane.

One is easy to live with and effortlessly quick, the other isn't but is a bit mad and a lot of fun.

ST is nuts on fuel for it's power, VXR has an Astra dash which is minging (from someone that had an Astra H for 4 years) and is a bit of a chaviot.
Old 19 July 2010, 09:24 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Odd question; but why not a scoob?
Old 19 July 2010, 10:05 PM
jespin
Scooby Regular

Megane handles the best and is arguably the most fun, the ED30 is the best all round package and along with the Cupra has the most tuning potential without spending a fortune. ST and VXR are both worth a shout. Try and get a drive in them all and you are bound to like one more than the others.
Old 20 July 2010, 08:22 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Depends on criteria - Megane with cup suspension is arguably the best handling one out there - most driver enjoyment when pushing on. The Golf beats it in all other areas though so just drive them and make your choice. The other 3 wouldn't get a look in IMO
Old 20 July 2010, 08:41 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

You seem to have a different suggestions based on what your priorities are. Out and out fun? Renault, all rounder? Golf. I know the ST drinks but Id rather spend the money on fuel, a little bit more at a time, than the heavy repair bills you will most likely face as I think they would be out of warranty wouldnt they?
Old 20 July 2010, 10:13 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
You seem to have a different suggestions based on what your priorities are.
I want fun, tuning potential, reasonable build quality[which I think they all have] aggressive looks, resale values ?, acceptable for the wife to drive and not too hard on the pocket when it comes to daily driving/servicing.
All the above tick the boxes for me really but I know the only way would be to drive them I guess.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:19 AM
newman90
Scooby Regular

my mate has had 2 leon cupra r's... they go very well but seemed fairly juicy... nice ride comfort but down side is they are very boaty, handling is some what aweful.. but you will get the reliabilty and cheap servicing as its a VW.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:22 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Is a BMW 130i in budget? Lovely engine and very quick.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:59 AM
MICAWRX
Scooby Regular

This months Redline has a couple of Golf owners, one of the changed from a Seat because he found the Golf to be much better handling etc... even though essentially same car.

Vauxhalls have a badge issue for me, ST very thirsty, Megane is a Renault..

Haha, its the Golf then!

Audi S3??
Old 20 July 2010, 12:56 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Out of the list, I'd go for the Golf.
Old 20 July 2010, 01:55 PM
J@Scoobybits
Scooby Regular

Golf for or maybee risk the Megane IMHO
Old 20 July 2010, 03:57 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

Best thing to do is drive each car and see which one suits you best.Personally I'd go for the Focus its the most fun
Old 20 July 2010, 09:02 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Focus ST with dreamscience remap (£200 secondhand handset), approx 285bhp, great fun but 23mpg
I was looking at a VXR but after having 2 mk5 astras i find the interior boring
Had 2 mk5 Golfs (2.0fsi), build quality isn't great
Looked at a Leon but hated the dash centre console (bit you see everytime you sit in it)
renault - french so i wouldn't even think about it after 2 clios - very poor build/ reliability

How about S2000 or Civic type R
Old 20 July 2010, 09:49 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

I owned one of the first UK Civic Type Rs (EP3) and its the best car I've ever owned so you can imagine how excited I got when I heard about the new one and booked a test drive as soon as I could.All I can say is I've never been so disappointed in all my life a new car is supposed to be better than the one it replaces not worse its slower,heavier and doesn't handle nearly as well mainly due to the fact they replaced the old cars independent rear suspension with an old fashioned beam axle.The JDM spec Civic Type R is a totally different kettle of fish though and is well worth a look like this one... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
Old 20 July 2010, 09:51 PM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Oilburner
I owned one of the first UK Civic Type Rs (EP3) and its the best car I've ever owned so you can imagine how excited I got when I heard about the new one and booked a test drive as soon as I could.All I can say is I've never been so disappointed in all my life a new car is supposed to be better than the one it replaces not worse its slower,heavier and doesn't handle nearly as well mainly due to the fact they replaced the old cars independent rear suspension with an old fashioned beam axle.The JDM spec Civic Type R is a totally different kettle of fish though and is well worth a look like this one... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
You could also consider an Integra Type R too http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
Old 21 July 2010, 08:29 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oilburner
The JDM spec Civic Type R is a totally different kettle of fish though and is well worth a look like this one... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
That's what I've just bought and I have to say it's truly stunning to drive. Coming from a 400bhp Blob, it obviously lacks midrange grunt and out and out straight line speed. However, it's still no slouch above 7000rpm and is absolutely divine to drive - incredible grip (in the dry), balance, turn-in, agility through the bends and purity/feedback of steering. It's also got a gearbox to die for - you just want to change gear for the sheer hell of it! In short, it's easily the most rewarding car I've ever driven and it's rarity makes it fairly discreet as people don't really know what it is - a welcome relief after the (unwanted) attention I used to get in the Impreza
Old 21 July 2010, 09:05 AM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

The best thing for me is the VTEC howl when you get it above 6000RPM it sends a tingle down my spine just thinking about it!But they even got rid of that in the new shape UK car you just get a VTEC light on the dash
Old 21 July 2010, 09:10 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

The JDM FD2 Civic is a totally different beast with much more agressive cams and a higher compression engine. Even with the standard airbox, the howl from the engine as it moves into VTEC at 5800rpm is very ermm - striking
Old 21 July 2010, 09:15 AM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

I can highly recommend the Blitz Sonic induction kit it made a suprising difference as the standard airbox actually faces away from the airflow into the engine I put mine on the rollers and it came back at 211BHP with no other mods!

Last edited by Oilburner; 21 July 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 21 July 2010, 09:26 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Well, funny you should say that as I'm currently looking into some carefully chosen mods to help the engine breathe a bit more easily Of course, not like turbo tuning where you can just turn up the boost!

Do you still own an EP3 by the way?
Old 21 July 2010, 09:53 AM
Oilburner
Scooby Regular

No unfortunately not mate I wrote it off on some black ice one morning otherwise I'd probably still have it.Thats the only problem with the Type Rs they're pretty highly tuned out the box so theres not much you can do apart from filters and exhausts I've seen a few with VTEC controllers doesn't give you any more power but moves the changeover point to wherever you fancy in the rev range!
Old 21 July 2010, 10:09 AM
lunar tick
Scooby Regular

Yep, I think that even with a race manifold and higher lift cams, 260bhp is about absolute tops and that's using a Hondata programmable ECU. However, the car is light (just over 1200kgs), which is respectable power to weight. And besides, there's always an option to supercharge
Old 21 July 2010, 10:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Golf.... hmmmmm.... they have a good warranty but probably not as reliable as the renault (and thats saying something )
Top would be the Renault, dealers apart (as they suck), its arguably the best car for out and out fun and performance (and will run rings around the golf).
ST is more grown up but no slouch, SEAT is better value than the golf, better dealers and seem to be more reliable (which is funny considering most of the parts are the same )
Astra is a fun hatch nothing wrong with the dash but its a bit of a thug, compared to the others, has the potential to end up first in the chav pile but if you have the money, look for an 888 Astra 1.9 CDTI, 200bhp version as a good alternative

Tony
Old 21 July 2010, 08:17 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Tony

This car is pretty special. I've not seen one before.http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1875765.htm
Old 21 July 2010, 08:27 PM
nathanb
Scooby Regular

ST for me but then I'm biased! I love mine.

For £15K you could get a nice 2008 ST-3!

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these cars