Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2010, 09:17 PM
Big Load!!!!
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo or Scoob

Hi,

At the moment i'm looking at either an evo8 fq 320 mr or a subaru spec c, both
2004 models.How do they compare on a daily basis and on the track?

your experiences and opinions please.

thanks BL

Old 05 March 2010, 09:28 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoob for me,but knowing most of the daft c*nts on here,they'll say evo. But go on MLR,they'll stick with evo,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as they should
Old 05 March 2010, 09:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Most seem to say the Scoob is the easier to live with if it's a daily drive and the evo is the quicker car.

The guy who recently purchased my Scoob had both an Evo & a Scoob previously. He said the Evo was in another league compared to the scoob (mainly because of its electronic wizardry). He was purchasing my scoob because its cheaper to run (evo needs servicing more regularly) and that he had to live with it on a daily basis.

Everyone is different though, so if you can I would test drive both and make your own mind up.
Old 05 March 2010, 09:43 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Not driven a Spec C, but there is no other Scooby I would want instead of an Evo. The turbos on Scoobies are too small, the 2.5 litre engines are too weak, the single scroll 2.0 engine have a rubbish power band. The Spec C sounds a completely different proposition though!
Old 06 March 2010, 10:46 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Evo....... errrrrrrrr, I mean Scoob.

I would go Scooby. They look better, sound better, and are cheaper to run & own.

Spec C was a contender for EVO car of the year some years back.

The Evo may be quicker but they look about as exciting as a tea pot, and sound like a vacum cleaner. The Subaru has more character.

That's why I bought a Subaru in 2005 rather than an Evo.

Last edited by stilover; 06 March 2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06 March 2010, 03:28 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

gonna admit Spec C is a awsome car.. but still gonna agree Evo is a better car,, nearly bought one years back but the cost of the insurance put me off..
Old 06 March 2010, 04:33 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Load!!!!
Hi,

At the moment i'm looking at either an evo8 fq 320 mr or a subaru spec c, both
2004 models.How do they compare on a daily basis and on the track?

your experiences and opinions please.

thanks BL

Silly question on a Subaru Website
Old 06 March 2010, 05:40 PM
scoobyreedy
Scooby Regular

Its not just who's got the Quickest car imo opinion but what car has the more character and more fun to drive as I have driven alot of differant evo's and scoobies including a 400 bhp evo 8 and evo's are over rated imo opinion but I havn't driven a spec c but after watching a lot of footage of them I recon its afair toy but could you live with it day to day ,"that is the question" I know alot of people who have owned evo's for very short periods and other people who are there 3rd or 4th scoob just climbing the old scooby ladder , that says it all to me
Old 06 March 2010, 09:56 PM
Japorter
Scooby Regular

Location: OLD MY53 STi @ 341bhp/349lbft -> NOW Evo 8 385bhp/380lbft

Originally Posted by scoobyreedy
Its not just who's got the Quickest car imo opinion but what car has the more character and more fun to drive as I have driven alot of differant evo's and scoobies including a 400 bhp evo 8 and evo's are over rated imo opinion but I havn't driven a spec c but after watching a lot of footage of them I recon its afair toy but could you live with it day to day ,"that is the question" I know alot of people who have owned evo's for very short periods and other people who are there 3rd or 4th scoob just climbing the old scooby ladder , that says it all to me
I am sure there are ppl who own scooby for very short period of time and there are ppl who moving on the 3rd or 4th Evo too... Both very good car, but evo does seen to be a better car all around, always seen to be better responding to mods too.. excluding the exhaust note tho..
Old 06 March 2010, 10:32 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Silly question on a Subaru Website
you would think so, but as has been said, there are some very strange members who own a scoob, but will recommend anything and everything over a scoob, they seem to have a real dislike of their choice of car, in no way enthusiasts.......i've owned many cars and been on many forums, and this forum is unique in this respect. Very odd.
Old 07 March 2010, 07:56 AM
RICKSTER555
Scooby Regular

Very simple answer you need to drive both and then make your decision. I have owned a fair few examples of each and my personal opinion is I prefer the subaru as a daily driver, higher build quality and comfort and also just seems to be an easier car to live with on a day to day basis. The evo on the other hand are great when pushed hard and very easy to tune, in my eyes a fun weekend toy for a sunday blast or time at the track. But when I was using my last 8MR on a daily basis it was just a bit to unrefined for me.
But all said and done drive them yourself and see, as peoples opinions of comfort,drivability etc always differ.
Hope this helps you a bit
Old 07 March 2010, 08:05 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Tough call IMO, both great and capable cars.
Old 07 March 2010, 08:40 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't rely on other peoples's opinions, take them on board yes; but i would narrow down the model of each car that suits your needs and have a go in each and compare them yourself................
Old 07 March 2010, 02:51 PM
scooby222
Scooby Regular

as said try them both and find out but for my tuppence worth if you want to be the fastest thing between two points go for the evo if you want to interact with the car between two points the scoob-just my opinion of course
Old 07 March 2010, 11:48 PM
Big Load!!!!
Scooby Newbie

when I was using my last 8MR on a daily basis it was just a bit to unrefined for me
Hi Rickster555 what sort of mileage did you do in your MR. i drive around 20 miles a day but i will also use it on the track to improve my driving skills over the coming years.

There are some negative comments in this thread, it is not my intension to get into arguments over which is better but to have some feedback on the cars in questions from people who have owned them and what they are like to live with.

Thanks
Old 08 March 2010, 12:29 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

The Impreza has soul & the Evo has none. Spec C is an awesome car (owned one for 2yrs), spools up from 2500rpm & revs to 8k or so. No burble although sounds like a race car when closing in on rev limiter. Never driven an Evo although heard from a few that have that it's fast yet boring. Evo servicing seems to cost more too.

TX.
Old 08 March 2010, 01:04 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

This should sum it up for you.... Note the Spec C starts at the back!!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/S...e-VS_75940.htm

Evo's are for people that want something that looks special, goes fast but have no driving ability what so ever!!! The car drives itself, you cannot make a mistake in that car, it won't let you, you are detached from the driving experience as you are the piloting experience when you are a passenger on a 747.... RUBBISH!!!

The Evo gives more power to £££ but it costs more to run and the power it does give you is refined, linear and just dull!

The Subaru has character and bags of it, the sound is amazing, the raw feel of the car as it goes is great, it feeds everything back, you actually have to steer it around the corners, not just aim and hope for the best. They are cheaper to run and sure there are more of them floating around (not Spec C's but scoobs in General) that you are never short of people to help and easy to get bits.

That's my two bobs worth having owned an Evo7 a 93 WRX, P1 and Bug STI
Old 08 March 2010, 01:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scooby222
as said try them both and find out but for my tuppence worth if you want to be the fastest thing between two points go for the evo if you want to interact with the car between two points the scoob-just my opinion of course
Dont know how you work out the evo to be the quicker point to point car as its not
Really there is only one winner and thats the scoob, my comparison was a spec c v an evo 9 mr320 on an Evo mag feature for evo mag in greece

Tony
Old 08 March 2010, 01:32 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

You bunch of bullies....

Old 08 March 2010, 08:08 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Top photo..

I've driven a couple of Evo's - never owned. I've got great respect for the Evo, but, for me - I find the Impreza more engaging to drive. I think given similarly spec'd cars I would probably be faster in the Evo, but the driving experience and lower running costs (comparatively) of the Impreza meant thats the one for me.
Old 08 March 2010, 09:03 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Could be reasonably hard to find a good Spec C, and harder to move it on than an Evo. All Evos are Jap spec, very few scoobs are. The majority of the people who I talk to about Scoobs know nothing of the difference between a UK and a JDM spec machine. Have your wits about you if you are going to buy a JDM scoob, there have been a few fakes around, especially on eBay.
Old 08 March 2010, 10:49 PM
Big Load!!!!
Scooby Newbie

interesting link, did you see that red evo @38 seconds in looked a bit unsettled.the spec c in that vid was a hawk eye,how do to blob eyes compare as this is the model i'm looking at.

Evo's are for people that want something that looks special, goes fast but have no driving ability what so ever!!! The car drives itself, you cannot make a mistake in that car, it won't let you, you are detached from the driving experience as you are the piloting experience when you are a passenger on a 747.... RUBBISH!!!
So the more rewarding to drive would be the spec c, are evo's that really numb to drive? How predictable are they when they let go with all that eletronic wizardry.
Old 08 March 2010, 11:45 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Ok, I've had seven Imprezas (all STi's except one, import and UK cars, 1995-2007) and two Evos... If you want to drive round the block like your **** is on fire, the evo is for you. However, if you need to travel further, and dislike frequent dental work, the the Impreza.

I've had my last Impreza, but may add an Evo to the stable again shortly.
Old 09 March 2010, 12:36 AM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big Load!!!!

interesting link, did you see that red evo @38 seconds in looked a bit unsettled.the spec c in that vid was a hawk eye,how do to blob eyes compare as this is the model i'm looking at.

So the more rewarding to drive would be the spec c, are evo's that really numb to drive? How predictable are they when they let go with all that eletronic wizardry.
That's the problem, the Evo never really does let go, you can't feel what's going on and 9/10 times you will bottle it before the car starts to unsettle to a degree whereby you would have to take corrective action (unless in a massive space and you are playing)

The Evo's do look mean though, don't get me wrong, it's a more than capable car as has been proven by a million videos etc, but it's just so so boring!
Old 09 March 2010, 10:55 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Never drove a Spec C but i had a MY03 STI with 400bhp and a 55 plate Evo IX with 400bhp.

The STI has bags more character, the EVO is very clinical and a very comprehensive car i wouldn't say numb though like others have! The way i look at the two is the STI is like Rambo and the EVO is like James Bond. That is to say you have to muscle the Subaru through a corner and the power delivery is more exponential where as the EVO has crisp response to all of the driver inputs allowing you to do things that you wouldn't have thought possible with much less fuss than the STI

Every day living the STI is easier as softer suspension, better servicing intervals etc. If you want to be the fastest i'd buy the EVO every time it offers you a neutral chassis responsive power and is IMO a more capable platform out of the box
Old 09 March 2010, 12:38 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Love evos, could justify having one now over the Scooby as it's not a daily driver anymore. But even still, 4500mile service intervals for the AYC must hurt, I just do 5000miles oil and filter on mine in between scheduled services and that's bad enough!
Old 09 March 2010, 12:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

AYC is 9000 miles on the Evo 9 at least and with a few tricks need be nowhere near as complex as people make out. Is is quite easy to service, just an oil and filter every 4500 miles which is not such a bad idea on any high pressure turbo engine.
Old 09 March 2010, 01:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I've driven a few Evo's too. A 7, 8 and 9, as well as a trackday in a Roger Clark Gp.N 5. All ballistically fast, but as others have said, soulless. Scoobs always win in appeal, if not in out'n'out speed for me. Anyone can go fast in either of these cars, but it takes a better driver to push a Scoob to the limit. The Evo does too much of the work for you with the size of your ***** being the major factor.
I've also driven a great many Scoobs, from a couple of Classics, through to Type 25's and Spec C's. In Scoobs I always felt like I was the driver, and I had to do the driving, and if I pushed too hard I had to save things. To me this gives much more personal satisfaction than simply prodding the loud pedal and hanging on like being on a roller coaster.

Last edited by corradoboy; 09 March 2010 at 01:30 PM.