Not Sure What To Get... £20k Budget

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2010, 04:34 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Sure What To Get... £20k Budget

Its going to get used for work, sold my STI this weekend, so currently using shanks pony whilst the misses is at work.

Got a car allowance and a fuel costs paid for etc

So here's what I'm considering at the moment:

2007 Audi S3
2006 BMW M3
2006 BMW 335 (i or D) Coupe - pref M Sport but would have an SE

Anyone got or had any of the above?

I've had a 335i for a couple of weeks, so know what they are like. More the S3 and M3 really.

Last edited by Jay_bee; 18 January 2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 18 January 2010, 04:39 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

2007 S3 - brilliant build quality, very quick, very subtle, very nice
2006 M3 - image problem, heavy but lovely engine and quick
2006 335 (I have the 335d Touring) - both i and d are very similar performance wise and have a big stick called "torque." The coupe looks very nice, the "d" seems more reliable and uses less fuel but the "i" accelerates slightly quicker and sounds better. Many prefer the SE to the M Sport in Coupe form because you get all the M Sports good bits (sports seats, M Sport suspension, 19" alloys) but without the M Sports fragile alloys. The rear diffuser of the M Sports also hides the twin pipes a bit on the coupe. I prefer the SE 19" alloys too and they are a lot stronger. The M Sport ones have had huge issues with cracking.

Bored yet?
Old 18 January 2010, 05:00 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

The M3 is the obvious choice. Top of the range, V8 engine. If someone else is paying the bills, get that.

If you went for the 335 (i or d) they'd probably be the better everyday car, but every time you passed an M3, you wished you'd got one of those instead.

S3? Well made, well styled (although I prefer the pre-faclift cars) and very quick. Has the advantage of AWD (Halldex). Basically, nice car, quick, but a bit dull.
Old 18 January 2010, 05:07 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Stilover - a £20k M3 is going to be the E46 not the E90 or E92 so six pot. You need at least £30k for a V8 M3 and they started making them in 2007.

I utterly love the current M3 and would have one if I could but the last one was of no interest.

An E9* 335d (and 335i) is quicker than an E46 M3 in many situations including drag races - many videos prove it.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 18 January 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 18 January 2010, 05:22 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I wish £20k would get me an E90 M3

Well, as mentioned, I've had the use of a 335i SE Coupe on two separate occassions, both were for one week periods (through Accident Xchange). Really liked it, and as I understood it, had the same or very similar performance figures to the E46 M3? It certainly has a grown up feel to it, and the misses really liked it too.

My head says (on the above anyway) get the 335 D but, I think what will happen if I go for that, is the same as when I got my 330Ci M a few years ago, loved the diesel, but loved the sound of the petrol more, and daft as it sounds, thats all that separated them and I went for the petrol.

I have noticed a few rather dubious looking drivers in the E46 M3's of late, but the same can easily, if not much more so, be said of the Scooby. So I'm not sure I see the image thing as a massive issue, but I take the point on board.

My misses has just got an Audi A3 2.0 TDI (170) and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the engine, although the brakes could do with a little more finesse - very aggressive (their either on or off!), so I'm certainly intrigued by the S3 and you get a flat bottomed steering wheel, so I can pretend I'm in an RS4 (joke!). I'm going to go and do some tyre kicking tomorrow and take one for a spin.

There doesnt appear to be that much difference in terms of performance of all three cars really, and the insurance is pretty similar too, with the S3 being the cheapest, then the 335 then the M3, which is roughly £100 a year more.

Anyone got any suggestions as to other contenders I might have overlooked?

(and if it wasnt to be used for work, I have a GTR itch that needs scratching )

Last edited by Jay_bee; 18 January 2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 18 January 2010, 05:30 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Give in to the itch and just get an R34 you only live once!
Old 18 January 2010, 05:33 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I still intend on getting one, but it will be as a 2nd (well 3rd if you included the misses car) car and only for weekends/track days etc - but have been told the wedding needs to take priority first

Old 18 January 2010, 06:53 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Jay - have you driven a 335d? I'd give on a go. Best sounding diesel around (when pushed) and the torque is something else. The 335i does sound better, no doubt about it but the d is just as quick (ahem - beat the 335i by 0.1 second around Bruntingthorpe in a 335i vs 335d grouptest - can email it to you if you want - only have it as a pdf) overall and the overtaking punch is massive.

I like the latest S3 a lot - well worth testing. Different size category (hatch) but has the quality feel of a well put togetheer luxobarge.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Stilover - a £20k M3 is going to be the E46 not the E90 or E92 so six pot. You need at least £30k for a V8 M3 and they started making them in 2007.

Opps, you're right. My mistake.
Old 18 January 2010, 07:36 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

audi a8 4.2 tdi?
Old 18 January 2010, 08:03 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

No, I've not driven the 335D, but I will definitely give it a very serious looking at. If I can find one that has got sensible mileage in the budget then I think thats the common sense option - although I must admit, I havent studied economy of it which might give it the common sense label.

Regarding the S3, totally agree that its a very different offering. I do like the looks, it has reasonable performance and the spec list on the ones I'm looking at are great. For the money, I can get a newer, lower mileage S3 than the equiv 335. I think (even though I havent driven one yet) that I'd probably enjoy driving the S3 more than the 335. I recall the 335i in the wet was rather 'interesting', and its quite a big, heavy piece of kit for those sort of antics!

I'll have a better idea tomorrow after I've been for a test drive in the S3.

Regarding the A8 suggestion, I dont think I'll qualify for one, I'm only 34
Old 18 January 2010, 08:22 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

335D is common sense option but also rather fun...! I find mine fine in the wet. But utterly merde in snow!

I'm also 34 so you're allowed one of those...

Anyway let us know - it's an interesting set of options you have there.
Old 18 January 2010, 08:37 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I've just had a look at the MPG figures, not bad at all

Just seen this 335D

It doesnt have the satnav that I was after, but I can always overlook that and just buy a Garmin!

Will report back tomorrow after the S3 test drive
Old 19 January 2010, 07:31 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

335D looks great! I hate satnav but that's very unusual.
Old 19 January 2010, 08:27 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Jay - have you driven a 335d? I'd give on a go. Best sounding diesel around (when pushed) and the torque is something else.
Gotta agree with you there fella!
Old 19 January 2010, 09:05 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
I've just had a look at the MPG figures, not bad at all

Just seen this 335D

It doesnt have the satnav that I was after, but I can always overlook that and just buy a Garmin!

Will report back tomorrow after the S3 test drive
Looks very nice that, I have to say. Dash is a little on the dull side. Like the wheels though.
Old 19 January 2010, 09:06 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Black on black isn't the most interesting colour combo but still a decent price.

I prefer the SE E92 wheels to the M Sport ones - look more robust, less fragile and MUCH easier to clean!
Old 19 January 2010, 10:39 AM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

I dont think I'll bother with the black one, its down in Gloucester, I'm in Lancashire. I dont mind travelling for the right car, but all boxes have to be ticked for a really long journey.

Although I've personally never bothered with Satnav before, and it always makes me laugh when I see aftermarket ones on a sucker cup right in the middle of the windscreen like some naff HUD or something, its my understanding that most buyers (and I always think about selling on, when buying) want these types of cars with all the toys.

Both the 335i's that I've driven, had the on-board satnav, and it makes the dash area (IMO) look much smarter. Also, my new job is field based and I'll be all over the place visiting clients, so Satnav might be a good idea.

The misses would prefer me to get the 335, she really liked the ones I had before, and she thinks the S3 is a bit on the boy racer side (albeit a posh one) but I'm not 100% yet. I'd say 60/40 in favour of the BM, but until I've had a drive of the Audi later, I cant really say.

Will report back later, I'm also going to test a 335d later today too, so will know by the end of the day.

Any other suggestions?
Old 19 January 2010, 12:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

A 335 should have satnav at the very least IMO as it's the top spec car in the range below the M3.

We are buying a 320d Touring at the minute, same budget as you, and it will be a 57 or 08/58 plate and I'm only getting one if it has satnav, visibility, folding mirrors etc as that is what I'm used to - only problem is there aren't many around, I missed one last week by a few hours but even that was in Suffolk.

If it was a 335 we were buying I wouldn't even consider one without the satnav built in - as you say it makes it much more attractive inside.

What about an Audi S4
Old 19 January 2010, 12:42 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I hate satnav. I use a thing called a map. A Phillips Navigator which is the best road map you can get. Never got lost in 17 years of driving and it needs updating once every five years.

Satnav also means you need i-drive - the same i-drive that crashes and often has problems, and was responsible for the inlaws 535d dying four months from new. I prefer pushing real buttons than having my car break down.

However the lack of xenons as standard is ludicrous on a £40k car. A sunroof IS essential though as is decent leather.

But if your 320d with satnav makes you feel superior to 335d owners without then so be it.

Last edited by Matteeboy; 19 January 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 19 January 2010, 01:14 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Alright Simon, long time no speak!

I've def made my mind up, I'm spending 20K, I dont want to compromise, so its got to have satnav, bluetooth (and xenons ).

I hear what you're saying Matteboy about the map thing, I've always held the same opinion, but when youve got multiple appointments all over the place in areas I might not be familiar with but I still have to make the appointment on time, it will be helpful in certain situations, and I cant afford to risk being late on these appointments.

Simon, on the S4 thing, I've had a quick look but cant seem to find any that I like in the price range that have immediately jumped out at me. May have another look actually..
Old 19 January 2010, 01:34 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Jay Bee - I have had several repping jobs (a while ago) - never been late for an appointment. My inlaws rely totally on theirs and often go the wrong way... Just not for me. If ever urgent, my mobile has GPS and Satnav but not needed it yet.

S4 would be the heavyish, thirsty V8 that's been generally berated by the press. The new one sounds great but I reckon your other options beat a B7 S4 by miles - apart from on sound.
Old 19 January 2010, 01:47 PM
verdasco1
Scooby Regular

2005 BMW e60 m5 anyone 23 000 pounds. Check out ebay there are a few on for less than 25grand man for that v10 thats gotta be the performance bargain of the century!
Old 19 January 2010, 01:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Go with the 335i or 335d & allow a small sum to bump up the performance ... neither will be that shy of an M3

TX.
Old 19 January 2010, 02:46 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Don't need any modding to keep up with/beat E46 M3s though.

Get either mapped and you are in E90 M3 territory.

Standard 335d vs E46 M3

YouTube - BMW 335d vs BMW E46 M3 drag race at Santa Pod Quartermile.

Tee hee...
Old 19 January 2010, 04:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

says the 335d has had a remap in the comments. Still impressive though.
Old 19 January 2010, 04:26 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

He beat several £36 and E46 M3s before it was mapped too - not by a lot but still beat them.
Old 19 January 2010, 04:36 PM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Freind of mine has 335i saloon, very understated and has had it remapped by Evolve its now 380bhp and a very quick car !!
Old 19 January 2010, 05:08 PM
NorthDave
Scooby Regular

I got a 335i coupe SE before christmas for £19,000. I've loved it since - nice and quick yet comfortable on the motorway. I couldn't really have an M3 where I live plus I would imagine servicing etc would be a nightmare cost wise.
Mine is pretty plain I think, no sat nav or anything but I love it. Had a bit of fun with an S5 and a 535D on the motorway the other day and wasn't embarrassed.
Old 19 January 2010, 05:43 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Righto, heres the latest!

Been to see a 335D and the S3 today.

Didnt need to take the 335D for a test drive in the end, I loved the 335i, so I know I'll love the D. Also, the one I went to look at wasnt quite for me, so I said to the guy I wasnt 100% so didnt want to waste his time taking it out.
The salesman tried telling me that when you buy a brandspanker you get all 10/10 boxes ticked but on a SH purchase, if you can get 9/10 ticked you should buy...!! When I'm spending £20k, I aint compromising, I will have 10/10 and thats that!

Went to the garage with the Audi, beautiful car, 1 owner, 27k miles, 6 months left on the Audi warranty etc AUDI S3
Took it for a spin, loved the interior but the performance was a little underwhelming (specially after the STI I just sold on Sat).

So its settled.... 335D Coupe SE all the way!!! Just need to find one now that has everything that I'd like

Quick Reply: Not Sure What To Get... £20k Budget