Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Civic 2.2d EX GT

Old 16 January 2010, 08:11 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic 2.2d EX GT

I have just ordered one of the above, what do those that have had one think of them?
Old 16 January 2010, 10:56 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I test drove one a while back, decided I'd rather chop my legs off than own one..

Old man's magnolia car
Old 16 January 2010, 11:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We've got an ES one. Hate it. Crap visibility, poor ride quality without the handling to match, soft paint, interior uses flimsy materials so no good if you have kids, ate a set of pads and discs in 20k miles, clutch started slipping after 15,000 miles, not that economical, paint so soft it chips if you look at it.

Enjoy your new car, I hope it's better than ours.
Old 16 January 2010, 11:07 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Oh and it's really wide so it's a pain to park if you want to use the doors.
Old 17 January 2010, 12:12 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Well thats not the positive feedback I was after! oh well, at least the wife will be happy she likes it, .................!or so she thinks, it must be better than the S-Max we are getting rid of for it?
Old 18 January 2010, 10:13 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I've had some niggles with ours (56 plate ES), but after 32k miles I'm pretty much the opposite opinion of Notorious, so just goes to show one mans poison, etc etc, or Notorious got a bad one.

Visibility doesn't bother me, especially at night as the bar across the rear blanks out any lights behind you. I find the ride acceptible and the handling fantastic - I can really hustle ours along A/B roads with lots of confidence - took it through the Trough of Bowland (look on Google Mps) yesterday and it was excellent.

The body has hardened paint, and ours is nearly 4 years old and still doesn't have any dings or scratches despite being used heavily.

Interior is fine, our 3 year old boy likes to destroy things but it's stood up very well considering I never clean it much.

We get 45mpg round town/mrs going to work and still get 57mpg when we go down South to the inlaws.

I agree discs/pads usage is poor, and our clutch is also slipping at 32k miles and costs are high for replacement as Honda won't do anything even though they admit an issue with it. They are also expensive to service, at least £350 a year.

Never found it "wide" either.

There are a few other small niggles that were fixed under warranty but nothing worse than any other car we've owned, Ford, BMW etc

Overall, our 3 years with it, I rate it at 8/10 as a car, we've had plenty of good trips in it and all the little features and toys are superb and it's never let us down.
Old 18 January 2010, 06:27 PM
stuart2008sti
Scooby Regular

Had the type r in 07,me and the wife liked it.She was sad to see it go a positive from me.
Old 19 January 2010, 08:31 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Well that sounds a bit better, I am still open minded about it so will form my own opinion when we get it, I've had Honda's in the past and been a little underwhelmed but that was mostly because it wasn't as fast as I thought 167bhp was going to be, the car itself I was quite happy with, I am thinking I will have similar feelings about this one apart from it not being fast, i'm not buying it for that reason after all.

Time will tell.
Old 20 January 2010, 05:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
I've had some niggles with ours (56 plate ES), but after 32k miles I'm pretty much the opposite opinion of Notorious, so just goes to show one mans poison, etc etc, or Notorious got a bad one.

Visibility doesn't bother me, especially at night as the bar across the rear blanks out any lights behind you. I find the ride acceptible and the handling fantastic - I can really hustle ours along A/B roads with lots of confidence - took it through the Trough of Bowland (look on Google Mps) yesterday and it was excellent.

The body has hardened paint, and ours is nearly 4 years old and still doesn't have any dings or scratches despite being used heavily.

Interior is fine, our 3 year old boy likes to destroy things but it's stood up very well considering I never clean it much.

We get 45mpg round town/mrs going to work and still get 57mpg when we go down South to the inlaws.

I agree discs/pads usage is poor, and our clutch is also slipping at 32k miles and costs are high for replacement as Honda won't do anything even though they admit an issue with it. They are also expensive to service, at least £350 a year.

Never found it "wide" either.

There are a few other small niggles that were fixed under warranty but nothing worse than any other car we've owned, Ford, BMW etc

Overall, our 3 years with it, I rate it at 8/10 as a car, we've had plenty of good trips in it and all the little features and toys are superb and it's never let us down.
Horse for courses

It's a foot wider than the Forester we had before it, which is hardly tiny, and about 3 inches wider than the current Focus. In terms of the interior, it's the cloth bits near the door pulls that wear but the interior seems to show every bit of fluff and detritus (of which there's a lot in MrsREV's car ).

We are probably a bit harsh on it, but we simply haven't warmed to it in any way. I do think ours was a Friday afternoon car too, it just has that feel about it.

Oh, and it irritates the hell out of me that if it's raining (or has been raining) the tailgate p*sses water all over you from a channel at the bottom. Really poor design.
Old 21 January 2010, 04:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

The tailgate issue is annoying, but then my Focus does EXACTLY the same so on both our cars I have to open the tailgate and leave it ajar for a few seconds to let the water drain.

In fact the Focus is worse, as the water pisses inside the boot and not just into the channel!!

Must be modern hatches.
Old 23 January 2010, 08:03 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Well I hope to pick mine up next weekend and it will be straight in to a 200 mile journey to get home, so plenty of time to assess and see what I think of it, if we think it's crap then it will go and I will get something else, one saving grace though is that I am getting a hefty discount and am paying nowhere near list price for it
Old 25 January 2010, 04:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

What model year is it? The newer ones are much better I think as all the niggles have been ironed out by now.

You will like it, they are decent to drive and comfy.
Old 25 January 2010, 04:59 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I feel bad for putting a downer on this thread so I've been thinking about the positives:

Comfortable and very quiet, great for long journeys as everyone has loads of room. That width translates as plenty of shoulder room. The magic seats are brilliant (except when you lose something under them) and the boot should be big enough for most people. Plenty of toys, interesting dash (although 'cos I'm a bit obsessive, I find I get distracted by trying to make my speed a round number cruise control FTW!)
Old 26 January 2010, 12:18 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I like the cruise, as each click translates to 1mph so on a boring journey you can play a game and click say 10 or 15 times really quickly then watch how fast the car gains that 15mph

I have to concede though, you are correct on the arm rests and seats/cloth - had to vac ours after a tip trip on Sunday and they are a bit grubby. But, most arm rests end up like that IMO.
Old 01 February 2010, 08:09 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Well I picked it up on Saturday and I must say that I am actually quite taken with it so far, although I have only done 250 miles or so. It's brand new with leather so some of the faults mentioned above may be gone by now.....

The suspension is quite firm and jiggly but I am used to a great big soft people carrier so I knid of expected it to some degree and after a scoob with coilovers (2nd car), it's not that bad at all tbh,

I like the engine, 2.2d in these is quite nice with plenty of power, is nice and smooth and seems to be even now, quite economical, i hope it improves though as it beds in a bit more

So, thanks for you input guys, I am happy........for now!