Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Touran

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2009, 02:57 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VW Touran

2.0 TDi Sport. Has anyone on here, got or had one of these? Comments, good and bad, would be helpful. Thanks
Old 04 March 2009, 03:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actively looking for one of these very recently. I had on the shortlist a c-max 2 ltr diesel and a sport Touran. I ended up with a Golf estate in petrol (1.8T an undercover gti)!

I don't know how much you've got to play with, but you should be able to get a sport under 100k on an 04/05 plate for around 6k.

The main reason I didn't go for the Touran was reliability. If you look into the owner reviews of these cars they pan it for reliability, especially the abs/esp braking system which looks like a very, very common problem even in late models and costs around £1500 to replace (the pump I think). I think the clutch is a weak point too.

Last edited by scoobynutta555; 04 March 2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04 March 2009, 03:22 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

The clutch problem is the crappy, dual mass flywheel. Which is generally a kit as a whole. Looking at spending around 10k, and want the facelift model. It's for the wife, but that wont stop me slamming it on coily's and a set of BBS splits
Old 04 March 2009, 03:40 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I was actively looking for one of these very recently. I had on the shortlist a c-max 2 ltr diesel and a sport Touran. I ended up with a Golf estate in petrol (1.8T an undercover gti)!

I don't know how much you've got to play with, but you should be able to get a sport under 100k on an 04/05 plate for around 6k.

The main reason I didn't go for the Touran was reliability. If you look into the owner reviews of these cars they pan it for reliability, especially the abs/esp braking system which looks like a very, very common problem even in late models and costs around £1500 to replace (the pump I think). I think the clutch is a weak point too.
My Brother had a 55 plate Touran diesel which he loved but it had a couple of costly breakdowns which destroyed their confidence in the car. It was a year old when he bought it , had some cylinder head work under warranty as oil and water were mixing, ESP/ABS light on which as mentioned above is a £1500 fix at the moment because the faulty sensor is integral to the pump unit, The final straw was a mini barbeque in the fuse box due to an unexplained electrical fault. Wasn't too much damage but the car was off the road for a couple of months while they waited for bits and spent ages with the CAN bus system getting all the electronics to talk to each other.

He's usually the lucky one of the 2 of us when it comes to cars but this one wasn't a good un'. They are great to drive and be a passenger in though and after a couple of software updates it was pretty good on fuel and very smooth.

If you do get one just make sure you get a very comprehensive warranty.
Old 07 March 2009, 08:26 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Work with them day in day out, Problems with early ones regarding ABS/ESP faults, but If the vehicle has good VW service history then Goodwill will cover a good percentage of the cost, problems with fuse-boxes are rare but most incidents are caused when the cover is not put on properly and water gets in there. The 140pd is about the best of them try going 56 plate onwards most of the niggles have been ironed out by then.

Dean.
Old 08 March 2009, 06:23 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dean, i was looking at a facelift model anyway. So that is good news.
Old 08 March 2009, 06:27 PM
robwils
Scooby Regular

WE looked at these recently when we changed our family bus.

Liked the Touran but as said before lots of owners reviews mentioned costly breakdowns. In the end we went for a Mazda 5 which we love. Its a 6+1 seater really as one in middle is quite small, but other things make up for it.
Love the sliding doors.

Old 08 March 2009, 08:04 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Is that the same as the S-Max, as they are both fords
Old 08 March 2009, 08:36 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Toran drives much more like a car than other MPV's and it's quite amusing to dust off saxo VTR's n a fun-bus!