Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Touareg Tyre Wear

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2008, 08:41 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VW Touareg Tyre Wear

My parents bought a brand new Touareg 2.5TDi Altitude seven months ago and have covered 7k in it. The other day my dad spotted a nail in the tyre so he took it to ATS who pointed out to him that all tyres should be replaced within around 500 miles due to excessive wear. He wasn't bull shi**ing as i have had a look tonight and the inner edges of all tyres has worn to the markers.

My dad took the car to the main dealer who suggested towing was the probable cause......If he had bothered to look more carefully he would have noticed the car hasn't even got a tow bar fitted.
Anyway they want to see the car again next monday when their 'expert' can take a look.
I think VW should be making a big contribution to a new set of tyres, can't see them replacing all for free. All they have said so far is they wont charge for fitting. Presumably a geometry check should be thrown in too.

Anyone had a similar situation and what was the outcome.

The car hasn't had any accidents, been off road (surprise surprise) or kerb'd.

Nik.
Old 03 July 2008, 08:57 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

7-10k is normal for tyres on a touareg if it's all town driving! I've had a few customers questioning that!

It's a heavy car, and constant stop-start is what wears out your tyres. I have a customer who does 30k a year and trades in at 1 year old (usually a passat) and he does all motorway, and he always has a good 4mm tread left
Old 03 July 2008, 09:02 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Its only the inner two inches thats worn down on all tyres the rest of the tyre is ok, this can't be normal is it?
7k miles and a grands worth of tyres required seems ott especially when the majority of the tyre is fine.
Nik.

Originally Posted by RJM25R
7-10k is normal for tyres on a touareg if it's all town driving! I've had a few customers questioning that!

It's a heavy car, and constant stop-start is what wears out your tyres. I have a customer who does 30k a year and trades in at 1 year old (usually a passat) and he does all motorway, and he always has a good 4mm tread left
Old 04 July 2008, 08:31 AM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

So are you saying that the tyres have got very good tread over the rest of the tyre and just low on the inner edge OR that they are well worn across the tread but the inner edge is lower?

If you say the tread is "OK" that could be interpreted as "barely legal" or "quite good"

Bear in mind that the legal limit is 1.6 mm across 75% of the tread, although VW advise 3mm. If the ATS guy is following the VW standard of advising on 3mm. . . . .

I would ask for a 4 wheel alignment/tracking/camber check, and depending on the result of that and the answer to my first question, you may be able to request a contribution! I would double check that none of the wheels or tyres have ANY marks on them before you take it in (after all, if there is a mark on an alloy or sidewall of the tyre, it looks as if it HAS been kerbed or off-roaded!)

Hope this helps

Last edited by RJM25R; 04 July 2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: .
Old 04 July 2008, 10:20 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I got 28,000 out of my X5 tyres doing only town driving.
Old 04 July 2008, 11:10 AM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

Has it got the pirelli p zeros on it ?
Old 04 July 2008, 11:29 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I bought a new Fiat Multipla that scrubbed off the inside edge on both front tyres within 5k - Fiat sold me to sod off

P-Zero's aren't great for longevity and I can agree on that much.

Have it aligned and see how you do.
Old 04 July 2008, 12:48 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry, i should have said the tyres are in good condition guessing at 6mm minimum. The inners are well worn and the remainder as you would possibly expect for 7k miles.
There are no marks at all on the wheels or tyres, the car is spotless.
Anyway its in on Monday so we shall see whet VW have to say.
It has Pirelli's on by the way.
Nik.

So are you saying that the tyres have got very good tread over the rest of the tyre and just low on the inner edge OR that they are well worn across the tread but the inner edge is lower?

If you say the tread is "OK" that could be interpreted as "barely legal" or "quite good"

Bear in mind that the legal limit is 1.6 mm across 75% of the tread, although VW advise 3mm. If the ATS guy is following the VW standard of advising on 3mm. . . . .

I would ask for a 4 wheel alignment/tracking/camber check, and depending on the result of that and the answer to my first question, you may be able to request a contribution! I would double check that none of the wheels or tyres have ANY marks on them before you take it in (after all, if there is a mark on an alloy or sidewall of the tyre, it looks as if it HAS been kerbed or off-roaded!)

Hope this helps
Old 04 July 2008, 01:26 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

Touaregs dont do well on pirelli's for tyrelife because its a heavy high powerd 4x4 . they are designed more for grip and handling .
if you take it to a main dealer they should ask you what you use it for and would you like grip or longevity and work out a solution . vw say there is not a problem with the tyres (they have recently looked into it with pirelli )but if you are nice and the vehicle is newish they make look into a goodwill gesture
hope this helps
any probs and i will see what i can find out for you
Old 04 July 2008, 01:37 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
I got 28,000 out of my X5 tyres doing only town driving.

Can't really compare that if it's not even the same make/model/spec/weight/engine size/wheel/tyre size TBH

You are doing VERY well really, my wife doesn't get 28,000 miles out of her beetle tyres, and she literally drives like miss daisy!
Old 04 July 2008, 01:39 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Sorry, i should have said the tyres are in good condition guessing at 6mm minimum. The inners are well worn and the remainder as you would possibly expect for 7k miles.
There are no marks at all on the wheels or tyres, the car is spotless.
Anyway its in on Monday so we shall see whet VW have to say.
It has Pirelli's on by the way.
Nik.

Hhmmmm, get out the tread depth gauge matey, will be useful to know for your dad
Old 04 July 2008, 02:49 PM
Scooby Senior

Probably done about 3-4k in the few months we've had our Touareg and no noticeable tyre wear on Michelin tyres
Old 04 July 2008, 02:57 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

Its only the pirelli's that they had an issue on
Old 04 July 2008, 08:41 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Is there any documentation regarding the Pirelli issue as this could be usefull.
Also can you recommend a tyre which would be better.
Thanks
Nik.

Originally Posted by BURTON
Its only the pirelli's that they had an issue on
Old 05 July 2008, 08:04 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Can't really compare that if it's not even the same make/model/spec/weight/engine size/wheel/tyre size TBH

You are doing VERY well really, my wife doesn't get 28,000 miles out of her beetle tyres, and she literally drives like miss daisy!

I agree. Never thought about it until this thread. Had all four replaced last September for its first MOT and the car was about 28k.
Old 07 July 2008, 12:19 PM
BURTON
Scooby Regular

Im not allowed to give out the documentaion ( i shouldn't have said what i did ) but any main dealer will be able to get the info and help you acordingly. as for recomending a tyre the dealer will contact a tyre surplyer and get some for your usage etc. sorry about the spelling .
Old 08 July 2008, 12:42 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

After a couple of days of denying there wasn't anything wrong with the tyres and the threat of an independant inspection of the car VW have agreed to send the car out for a geometry setup and have agreed to replace all four tyres.
Result

One VW rep told of a car they had in that had only covered 3k before its tyres where shot, that is really taking the biscuit!

Nik.
Old 21 April 2009, 07:50 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Well the tyre problem is back!
Uneven wear rearing its ugly head again, car booked in for another geometry check but the dealer has said VW has issued a memo informing them tyre wear can range from 3000 miles up over. Pity they don't include this in their glossy brochures!
3000 miles when on average a driver covers 12000 a year, £250 a corner = silly money, future buyers beware!!!!

Nik.
Old 22 April 2009, 07:09 AM
Scooby Senior

Did they fit Pirellis when you had all the tyres changed?

As said, we did around 4-5k on Michelins with no noticeable wear and then around 20-25k on Eagle F1's with them looking like they still had 20k's worth of wear on them left, the F1s were on the Q7 sportline 5 spoke 20" alloys and the Michelins on the standard Touareg 18" split spokes
Old 22 April 2009, 12:55 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

The last set were fitted free of charge and yes they were Pirelli's.
I doubt this set will be replaced by them so my dad is looking for another brand to see how they work out as he will be paying for them himself.

Originally Posted by 500
Did they fit Pirellis when you had all the tyres changed?

As said, we did around 4-5k on Michelins with no noticeable wear and then around 20-25k on Eagle F1's with them looking like they still had 20k's worth of wear on them left, the F1s were on the Q7 sportline 5 spoke 20" alloys and the Michelins on the standard Touareg 18" split spokes
Old 22 April 2009, 08:25 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

VW had issue's with rear diff/transfer box problems causing tyres to wear on the inner edge of the tyres, If it's in warranty give your dealer a tug.
Old 22 April 2009, 09:00 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

yer it was an issue on older q7's as well. they sort it all out though for you these days.
Old 22 April 2009, 10:16 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I have read stuff on the internet to that effect but it tended to be early cars, as the old mans car is a Sept 2007 car i thought the issues would have been sorted or am i wrong.
Does anyone (VW workers) know what tyres are recommended for a 'reasonable' lifespan?

Nik.

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
VW had issue's with rear diff/transfer box problems causing tyres to wear on the inner edge of the tyres, If it's in warranty give your dealer a tug.
Old 23 April 2009, 07:45 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

I have worked for VW for 15yrs, best tyre for life i've seen is Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport, I'd get the car checked for Diff Transfer box probs as it more than likely has the older style units fitted worth a try. give luxury car customer care tem a call and express yr disappointment they will help you.
D.
Old 23 April 2009, 09:29 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. Does the tranfer box problem effect rear tyre wear only?
Is the luxury customer care part of VW?
Questions questions

Cheers
Nik.

I have worked for VW for 15yrs, best tyre for life i've seen is Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport, I'd get the car checked for Diff Transfer box probs as it more than likely has the older style units fitted worth a try. give luxury car customer care tem a call and express yr disappointment they will help you.
D.
Old 24 April 2009, 07:42 AM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

The transfer box fault will only cause the issue to the rear tyre wear.
Luxury car care team is part of VW.
Old 24 April 2009, 12:36 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dean, i will pass your info on.
Nik.

The transfer box fault will only cause the issue to the rear tyre wear.
Luxury car care team is part of VW.