Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

"Best" handling? ML270 v Discovery 3 v Range Rover td6

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2008, 10:31 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Best" handling? ML270 v Discovery 3 v Range Rover td6

I'm starting to think about replacing my excellent ML430 for something a little more economical. Has anyone driven more than one of the above to form an objective opinion on how they handle? It's fair to say that the X5 3.0d handles better than all 3 but I don't want an X5 for the usual reasons why people dislike X5s!
Old 07 June 2008, 11:17 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

There all awesome handling motors mate
Old 08 June 2008, 12:19 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

What do you mean by handling?

In out right grip the two LR models will be pretty even. In terms of feel no idea, but I like the way the Disco goes when I drove one.

But these are 4x4's, if you want handling by an estate.
Old 08 June 2008, 09:19 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

For my needs, I'm after a secondhand 4x4 as I really do live down a country lane. I need the carrying capacity, a diesel and I prefer the high driving position. So I'm not considering any estates.

Yes, handling on all 3 - by comparison to a Subaru - is going to be really bad. So in some ways it's actually more important to seek opinions - for example, the difference in handling between an Impreza STI and Spec C isn't relevant for 95% of everyday driving.

What do I mean by handling? Probably a combination of cornering ability, steering feel and a feeling of being in control of the car in a tricky situation e.g. braking/swerving.
Old 08 June 2008, 11:16 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Well I'll be honest I'm a bit bias. I'm a long term LR fan and currently own 2.

So my vote would be LR.

I really like the Diso 3. But if I'm honest its got too big and too heavy and far too complex. And I know it pains me to say it, but at present LR are not known for their reliability and they no longer have the work on it at home ability either.

Ditching the solid axles was a negative step in my opinion also. Combine that with the fact that the Disco3 is just plain common on the roads and the RR doesn't (IMO) look as good as it used to. And the now uncertain future now that LR has been sold.

So to the Merc. Well if I'm even more honest these have never interested me either. Sure they can look nice, but in reality I don't think they do handle any better. Maybe it would be quicker on a race track, but really who cares. I also know Mercs and in particular the M class have been plagued with build quality and reliability issues. Take a look at Top Gear/JD Power reports and especially reliablilty reports from the US.

If I'm honest the best 4x4 I've driven recently was a Jeep Wrangler 4 door Unlimited Sahara.

It' physically smaller and lighter on the outside. Yet somehow seems almost as big on the inside. Has a wonderful 2.8 litre Turbo diesel engine which is better on fuel and produces similar power to the LR 2.7 unit. It handles good enough for any road use. You can remove the roof, doors and fold the windscreen down if you wanted. Is really good off road. Looks good and has one of the biggest after market support markets if you want to make it go better on or off road.

The Sahara comes with a decent auto box or manual, air con and most of the other goodies.

Sure it might not be a dragster, but a simple chip will easily make it perform even better.

Jeep Wrangler - Models

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 08 June 2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08 June 2008, 12:38 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

I have an STI and my wife has a Discovery 3 V8
Have to say the D3 handles very well, The V8 is not that different in price to run now with the price of diesel. Ours averages 20.3mpg mixed driving. The diesel is not that much better. Making the V8 a far better buy..
I paid £16000 for my D3 V8 SE from land rover with 1 year LR warranty and LR assist.
The 300BHP Jag engine is excellent aswell, I tend to find I drive it more than my own car.
Old 09 June 2008, 01:00 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Audi All-road.

Better ground-clearance than what you may initially think (especially in "lift mode" ), but with proper handling.

Last edited by Shark Man; 09 June 2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09 June 2008, 02:51 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Audi All-road.

Better ground-clearance than what you may initially think (especially in "lift mode" ), but with proper handling.
Nah...

Old 09 June 2008, 09:46 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

If thats Dave's drive, then I pity the postman and the paperboy

Seriously though; the All-Road reportedly has more ground clearance than a Merc-ML. .

Driven a few myself now, one 2.5TDi auto and a new 3.0Tdi auto, the 3.0 was pretty rapid. Just make sure you get a test car with all the toys, and plush leather as its so much nicer inside. Plus the active suspension, usual quattro torsion diff and a low range gears to boot, makes it a contender worth taking for a test drive.

Of course, I "should" be recomending what I own; A Series Land Rover, in 88" form, but I don't think that offers quite the comfort nor the handling

Last edited by Shark Man; 09 June 2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09 June 2008, 09:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Ali; will you have a look at my thread in 'Projects' re interior paint please? Id be interested in your opinion.
Old 10 June 2008, 09:17 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
Of course, I "should" be recomending what I own; A Series Land Rover, in 88" form, but I don't think that offers quite the comfort nor the handling
lol, Great vehicles. I've got a 88 pick up