Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

oops 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 09:29 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default oops 4x4

looking at getting a 4x4 in a year or so !! top of my list is the Porsche cayenne !! next is the Range Rover or possibly a BMW X5 all will be petrol and the v8 versions ! does anyone have any experience with any of these and a preference ??
Old 02 June 2007, 09:38 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Cayenne Turbo up until a little while ago, its basically a Toureg (sp?) chassis with a few odds & sods.
I went like **** & tbh i only got rid of it because i wanted & bought the new RR TDV8 which is a different monster in its own right.
Dont listen to what the numpites on here say about the Cayenne its a great car & tbh i am looking at getting the missus the 3.2 V6 one later in the year once the E class turns 3 yrs old.
Old 02 June 2007, 10:29 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My new X5 arrived yesterday - diesel version but with a 0-60 of 7.9 secs why would you need summit with even more performance? Mine has the dynamic pack and the ride is ace and handles more like a sporty estate than a 2 ton 4x4
Old 02 June 2007, 10:49 PM
51st state
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I had a Cayenne Turbo up until a little while ago, its basically a Toureg (sp?) chassis with a few odds & sods.
I went like **** & tbh i only got rid of it because i wanted & bought the new RR TDV8 which is a different monster in its own right.
Dont listen to what the numpites on here say about the Cayenne its a great car & tbh i am looking at getting the missus the 3.2 V6 one later in the year once the E class turns 3 yrs old.
fookin ell
what do you do for a living

i'm being nosey , but its what everyone else who reads this thread is wanting to know

used an X5 v8, was good and a lot quicker than i thought it could be, porsche cayenne turbo looks the coolest though , partly because of the uglyness combined with performance

whats the rr diesel like
with the torque it should really nice to cruise round in, but in reality if you give it some heavy use, is it any better on fuel than a petrol,
Old 02 June 2007, 10:54 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by 51st state
fookin ell
what do you do for a living

i'm being nosey , but its what everyone else who reads this thread is wanting to know

used an X5 v8, was good and a lot quicker than i thought it could be, porsche cayenne turbo looks the coolest though , partly because of the uglyness combined with performance

whats the rr diesel like
with the torque it should really nice to cruise round in, but in reality if you give it some heavy use, is it any better on fuel than a petrol,
Hi there,

I do a bit of this & a bit of that

The RR is immense, i have an old Landi TD5 as well that i use for the odd jobs around the farm & tbh its going very shortly as i bought a trailer that can take all the rubbish i need for the back of the RR.
As far as the torque goes i could tie a rope around your house, give it some welly & you would be homeless Well nearly

The fuel economy isnt a major issue so i cant really comment on that.

Old 02 June 2007, 10:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu
My new X5 arrived yesterday - diesel version but with a 0-60 of 7.9 secs why would you need summit with even more performance? Mine has the dynamic pack and the ride is ace and handles more like a sporty estate than a 2 ton 4x4

cause my impreza is in the 500s and i couldnt put up with some slow car ?? i can suffer so much but 7.9sec ???? is that like a bus ????
Old 03 June 2007, 09:19 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I would go for the TDV8 RRS. We were going to buy a 2.7 RRS to replace our X3 but when I heard that the TDV8 was coming out we decided to wait and see what happens to residuals and used prices - as the TDV8 is a much much better engine and I would prefer to wait a while longer.
Old 03 June 2007, 10:24 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebt
cause my impreza is in the 500s and i couldnt put up with some slow car ?? i can suffer so much but 7.9sec ???? is that like a bus ????
err, keep the Impreza?
That's what I did. Tried the performance 4x4's incl the Porsche and realised if you want a fast car then a big 4x4 isn't the way to go. The X5 replaces my GTB, had hoped to find summit to replace the GTB and the STi but the big 4x4's don't give anything near the same buzz as the Impreza. If I want a blast I go out in the STi or the RX8
Old 03 June 2007, 11:43 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

The new TDV8's are that good LandRover are going to stop selling the standard V8 Petrols although the Supercharged versions will still be available.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 June 2007, 03:26 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Congratulations - these sort of motors are awesome!

Even the Merc GL500 I tested was amazing... 0-60 in 6.7 secs & that's an automatic - nothing to do except push the loud pedal to the floor & does it every time - no reving to 4000 rpm & smoking the clutch with these babies They just get on with it. The Cayenne turbo must be staggering to drive with a 5.1 sec 0-60

The handling is phenomenal too - we did 'emergency stops' , slaloms, elk test and all that stuff with the merc on an airfield - impressed is not the word! - I'm sure the Cayenne & new RR s/c sport must be similar.

I've always fancied a 'compromise car' - one as practical as my Discovery & as fast as my Impreza... and they are available - who wouldn't want one - apart from the purchase price and running costs

Could go Green and go for a hybrid Lexus or sommat

All the best with whatever you choose steve

Mick

Last edited by Mick; 04 June 2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling