Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S4 Avant Vs classic STI Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2007, 09:01 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default S4 Avant Vs classic STI Wagon

I'm giving some thought to selling my classic scoob as I need extra space to lug bikes around.

Can only get one back in the saloon and thats with alot of faffing.

So, should I sell and get an S4 Avant or sell and get a classic STI wagon.

Seems to me the STI will be cheaper the buy and maintain but then with 30 only a month away I'm thinking maybe its time to grow up and get something fast but a little less lairy

I know some on here have had them and could really do with some tips on running and buying. The turbos going bang and silly money to replace scares me I must say. So prices to pay, servicing costs etc etc.

Ta
Old 04 May 2007, 10:35 PM
Jeff Wiltshire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RS246.com :: Dedicated to Audi S & RS Models
Old 05 May 2007, 12:05 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As above really THE best place to go for info.....

I did the same move (got a B5 S4 Avant - V6 2.7L Bi-turbo) - only instead of bikes, it was a dog that didn't stop growing!!

Turbos? yeh. a scare, but no more than the issues that used to scare me about my Scooby.....

I now get mine serviced by a 3rd party, so prices are different.

As to it being a bit more sensible...hmmm not sure about that one

The only sensible thing is that it is one of THE ultimate Q cars. Quite a few people have been surprised when my silver hearse has gone past like they were stood still

The nice thing is that the torque available does make you a lazier driver.
The best analogy is that in the Scoob, you get in it, fire it up, and you instantly feel like you've got a crash helmet on with a co-pilot next to you. Every trip is a rally stage.

The Audi is just as quick, if not quicker, but you don't feel tired after the journey.

You drive the Scooby and it demands your full attention. The Audi almost drives you. Plus the build quality BLOWS the Subaru out of the water.

MPG? Getting about 25ish (all-round) - but you don't buy these types of car for a good mpg
Audi dealers/service are V expensive though.

Haven't driven the later S4s (V8), but the V6 Bi-Turbo is a fabulous car.
I would only take on board comments from those who actually got one or driven one Loads of magazine review readers out there

Any prospective car could do with a "health check" at MRC in Banbury - these guys know what's what. They seem to have the same knack as ScoobyClinic in helping you part with your cash for mods
Stage 1 upgrade will give you about 310bhp, for about £500 (including health check)
check em out

Now, I know very little about the S4, but RS246 is the place to get the informed answers

Hope this helps

Dan
Old 05 May 2007, 06:35 AM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

A classic STI wagon doesn't necessary have to be lairy.

I've no regrets with mine, had it nearly 4 years now, very individualistic and more practical than saloon. Fast and turns heards without being too in your face.

You may want to look at the rear cargo space though cos it ain't massive, certainly nowhere near as big as an A4 avant.

Classic STI wagon, version 5 or 6 very desirable in my mind.

Dave

Originally Posted by EddScott
I'm giving some thought to selling my classic scoob as I need extra space to lug bikes around.

Can only get one back in the saloon and thats with alot of faffing.

So, should I sell and get an S4 Avant or sell and get a classic STI wagon.

Seems to me the STI will be cheaper the buy and maintain but then with 30 only a month away I'm thinking maybe its time to grow up and get something fast but a little less lairy

I know some on here have had them and could really do with some tips on running and buying. The turbos going bang and silly money to replace scares me I must say. So prices to pay, servicing costs etc etc.

Ta
Old 05 May 2007, 03:06 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Audi

As you get older you start to appreciate a little comfort and build quility on cars, for me it would be the Audi.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my classic wagon but it's not a patch on my Mercedes for build/comfort.

Oh and ditto the rear load space, I had to have a roof box as the boot still wasn't large enough for all the family gear

Rob

Last edited by scoobfan; 05 May 2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05 May 2007, 05:53 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Cheers for advice chaps.

Took one out last night. Silver 2000. Cracking car IMO. Very close to my Impreza to the ton but the S4 would just keep going long before the Impreza ran out of puff and gears

Space is a bit rubbish. with the seats up theres only a dot more room than the the Impreza (floorspace wise)

Not that that matters really because I've wanted a fast Audi estate for a while. Sadly the one I tried last night wasn't for me. Its got to be Nogaro Blue with the blue alcantara and silver just doesn't do it for me - to get me away from my Impreza that I've cherished these past 4 years it has to be the right one.

plus the money was too strong and it puts me off when they start talking about leaving things out the service to recoup the money lost on the sale.

Last edited by EddScott; 05 May 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05 May 2007, 06:18 PM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

As a former Sti version 5 wagon owner i would say the Audi in terms of build quality as mentioned above however, it all depends on what tickles your fancy. Personally I think the Sti is more fun but would buy the Audi if i needed to drive it more regularly as an everyday car
Old 05 May 2007, 06:51 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Surely vfm sti along with more excitement. I can quite see however that an audi would be a nicer place to sit ,so buy an armchair - i guess it depends how long you spend in the car. and as for +70 power who needs it
Old 05 May 2007, 08:36 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
Surely vfm sti along with more excitement. I can quite see however that an audi would be a nicer place to sit ,so buy an armchair - i guess it depends how long you spend in the car. and as for +70 power who needs it
Don't knock it until you've tried it There's something VERY addictive about having top-end GRUNT!

Forgot to say - yeh, the rear passenger space ain't brilliant (BigMo found this, so went for an RS6 )

The Nogaro Blue (and interior) does take some getting used to - I couldn't, so went for an Avus Silver with Black Leather and and Carbon trim

FWIW, certainly not having a go at the STI wagon - I really wanted to get one when I needed to change due to my owning Clifford, the big red dog!! but after trying the Audi, I didn't look back. I may have been tempted if they had have done a Blob-eye STI wagon, but sadly, not the case.

Also, today my S4 on the Anglo-Welsh meet to Elan Valley, and I easily kept up with the STIs (including the twisties).

The main thing I miss is the SOUND of a Scoob - it is right up there with say a V8, or Ferrari.....
Mind you, the V6 isn't a cr@p sound either

Dan

ps, mine's pictured HERE - about half way down, it does stick out a bit though

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 05 May 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06 May 2007, 12:48 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kilo_4que
As a former Sti version 5 wagon owner i would say the Audi in terms of build quality as mentioned above however, it all depends on what tickles your fancy. Personally I think the Sti is more fun but would buy the Audi if i needed to drive it more regularly as an everyday car
If I could find a black 5 I probably wouldn't hesitate

As for build quality, I've had 3 205GTIs and love the things so it doesn't bother me too much

Might just keep the scoob and buy an old van for the bike outings