Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ford ESP system - quick question for anyone else with it

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 04:07 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford ESP system - quick question for anyone else with it

We've had an Smax with ESP fitted (elec stability program) for a few months now and I was expecting the ESP system to cut in in the event of the wheels losing traction and apply brake/accel as necessary, to regain traction.

However, i've had several instances of the car losing its footing on wet roundabouts /pulling out of juntions etc recently, all without the ESP system cutting in (and I've not been driving it like a demon either!)

So, question is has anyone else got a Ford (focus/fiesta/smax/galaxy) with ESP on it and does it perform any better?

Assuming theres something up with ours as its pretty useless so far, or is ESP useless in general anyway?

Neil

Last edited by NeilT; 09 February 2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:00 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Ive got the Focus ST, and had the ESP flashing its little heart out yesturday.

Works car park covered in snow, i was first there so zig zagged across it.

Instead of major understeer after the first turn, the ESP was pulling the front end in (front brakes, as ABS was kicking in now and then too) as well as cutting the throttle as id kept kept a constant throttle.

Got out the car and there were lovely S shaped tyre marks right across the car park

Im not sure if the ESP is changed between models or not but id have thought you would have saw the light a few times in what you describe. If the ABS isnt activated, some time you dont notice its doing anything if you miss the light, as few times the missus has pointed out the light flashing and i hadnt noticed it.

Last edited by NWMark; 09 February 2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09 February 2007, 06:36 PM
Tony MY03WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
We've had an Smax with ESP fitted (elec stability program) for a few months now and I was expecting the ESP system to cut in in the event of the wheels losing traction and apply brake/accel as necessary, to regain traction.

However, i've had several instances of the car losing its footing on wet roundabouts /pulling out of juntions etc recently, all without the ESP system cutting in (and I've not been driving it like a demon either!)

So, question is has anyone else got a Ford (focus/fiesta/smax/galaxy) with ESP on it and does it perform any better?

Assuming theres something up with ours as its pretty useless so far, or is ESP useless in general anyway?

Neil

Could try asking here FOCUSSTOC.COM FORUMS or here smaxownersclub.co.uk
Old 09 February 2007, 10:48 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

My old fiesta had it and it was a nightmare in snow, I would rather have the option to switch it off, which wasn't available.
My new Mondeo is meant to have it but it never seems to kick in, which to be fair in my experience is a good thing
Old 12 February 2007, 09:54 AM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

I used to have it on various mondeos.

Can I ask a silly question, on the S max is the ESP switchable ? and if yes have you switched it on/off. If the light on the dash is permanent on then the system is off. Sorry if this is teaching oyu to suck eggs, but I've seen people on forums get this the wrong way round before.

It may not help to much with terminal understeer, but should be very quick to kick in when pulling out of road junctions with to much right foot.
Old 12 February 2007, 10:38 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

I had the system on two previous Focus' I have owned and you definitely be able to feel the ESP kick in. ESP basically ties the traction control system and ABS system in with each other. You should definitely notice the traction control retarding the timing to cut power and you should feel the brakes being applied at some point.
Old 14 February 2007, 04:49 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil what do you think of the S-Max ?

I have the option of one of these (in LX 1.8TDCi) as a company car and its that or a C4 Picasso 1.6d SX or VW Touran 2.0D.

The SMAX has the biggest boot, 2m long which I need but both the C4 & Touran have cruise control which is nice on long trips, they are all about the same on MPG, so its decision time........
Old 16 February 2007, 06:41 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanTheMan
Neil what do you think of the S-Max ?

I have the option of one of these (in LX 1.8TDCi) as a company car and its that or a C4 Picasso 1.6d SX or VW Touran 2.0D.

The SMAX has the biggest boot, 2m long which I need but both the C4 & Touran have cruise control which is nice on long trips, they are all about the same on MPG, so its decision time........
thanks for the replies all - have also posted now on smax owners club (is a there a car that hasnt got its own OC thesedays?) and it seems that all Smaxs do much the same.

Smax - very impressed so far - possibly the best car I've driven for a long time (aside from my STI of course ). torquey diesel 1.8, very quiet on the motorway (we opted for the 6 speed and cruise control) and as you say bundles of room. Can fit wifey, 3 kids, spaniel (in dob box) and luggage in in easily for holidays. Just wish i'd got the adaptive cruise (although £££). Apart from that all good. Ordered ours from Jamjar, was supplied to us from From Bristol and we got free leather and save around 2k on list

MPG pretty good overall - 42 ish mpg

Not driven the citroen though but tested the Touran - didnt like it - very bland.

Neil