Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

106 GTI

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2006, 10:16 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 106 GTI

Im thinking of getting a 106 GTI. I currently have a 306 D Turbo due to my 20K miles per year.

But it does not put a smile on my face, reading reports it seems the 106 may be for me.

Can the 106 GTi cope with big miles?

What is the MPG on these?

Any things to look out for?

Cheers

Scott
Old 25 August 2006, 09:09 AM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Best mate had one, got called the 'Clown Car' it broke down so much. He sold it to another friend whom I told not to buy it and the legacy of the 'Clown Car' rages on.

(Waits for the usual, I had one for 10 years and it never broke down once bollocks)

Edit: Asked him what went wrong when he owned it, here is the list:

Radiator destroyed itself x 2
Wiring loom ripped itself apart
Headgasket failed (which cracked a piston)
Exhaust fell off
Fuel pump failure x 2
Power steering pump failed
Oil would regulary **** out on the floor

Last edited by Tobisausage; 25 August 2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 25 August 2006, 09:28 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Loved my 106 gti so much back in 1996 it was great when i drove it. When it was broken, it was a *******, and ultimately caused me to get rid. I had modified it though.

Handling wise, i have yet to drive a better car!
Old 25 August 2006, 11:28 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I had a 106 GTI from new for 3 years, and have to say, it has been the best car for putting a smile on my face. Just a total hoot to drive on twisty back roads. The handling is just unreal.
The only things to go wrong with mine, were the alarm sensors kept failing, and need replacing (twice) and the stereo gave up the ghost, 1 week before the 3 year warranty ran out.

As for long distance millage? well, the thing revs for England, so motorway driving can be tiresome at high speeds, with the revs, (short geared) but if the stereo's on, it's not that big a problem. Went to the motor show (earls court and back from Darlington) and it just p1ssed it.

MPG wise. 40mpg easily. Driven with venom, then this will drop obviously.

Best thing about the car, is watching the look on peoples faces in their rear view mirror, when this little shopping trolley of a car is right on their bumper, that they though they would leave for dead.

Richard Burns, and Tim Harvey said it was the Best handling car ever, when it was new. Must be good then.

I've always thought of spending a few grand on a good one, as I really miss mine.

One magazine was quoted as saying "You have to be a complete Tw@t to crash one of these".

As said above, I've yet to drive a better handling car !

As you might be able to tell, I quite enjoyed mine.

Last edited by stilover; 25 August 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 25 August 2006, 11:33 AM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P20SPD
Handling wise, i have yet to drive a better car!
Followed behind one of these around a roundabout the other day. My god that thing stuck to it like it was on rails. Impressive stuff.
Old 25 August 2006, 10:09 PM
10man
Scooby Newbie

If you are looking at getting a 106 gti, have you look at the 106 rallye phase2 that is what i had. And the little 8v engine as got better bottom end over the 16v gti
Old 27 August 2006, 09:59 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

my bro has had a burst radiator and a power steering problem. stick to the road like glue and bags of fun
Old 28 August 2006, 08:47 AM
dogboy1
Scooby Regular

Had one for 3 years before i got my VTS ( basically the same car.)

Only one word to describe them...Fantastic!!!

Never missed a beat and Sir Richard Burns was correct they really are that good!!

And no thats not Bo**ocks!!

DOg.
Old 28 August 2006, 05:32 PM
silverstrike
Scooby Regular

you wont look back buddy.... DO IT!!!!!!!!

p.s dont get one with a sunroof tho
Old 28 August 2006, 10:35 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

I had one a few years ago, one of the most fun cars I've ever owned and quite possibly my most favourite car, I loved the thing!

In fact my Mrs has one at the moment, so I still get to play in one!

Not the fastest car on the planet, but due to it's small size, light weight, close gearing and revvy engine it feels rapid, they're pretty quick anyway, mid 7's 0-60 and 130mph is very respectable for 120bhp, although they generally had more, think that was a conservative figure.

Then there's the handling... it's superb, what a great car to drive, Peugeot really do know how to make a hot hatch handle well, sharp, nimble, chuckable and brings a smile to your face.

Provided you get a later car with a reasonable mileage on the clock, then it will cope with the miles you'll do, and they are not bad on juice either, mid/upper 30's without trying, so you can still have fun without worrying about the mpg
Old 29 August 2006, 11:50 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Cheers for all the info guys. I think im going to take the plunge. Im going to put my 306 DTS on the market then when it goes I will get one.

Scott
Old 29 August 2006, 03:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scott8629
Cheers for all the info guys. I think im going to take the plunge. Im going to put my 306 DTS on the market then when it goes I will get one.

Scott
You know it makes sense !
Old 29 August 2006, 08:18 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

best handleing car I have ever driven apart from the lotus elise. Get a standard one and they are fantastic.
Old 30 August 2006, 04:34 PM
rob2006
Scooby Regular

I had one, breifly....

I dont think they deserve the attension they get.

If your over 5ft 8 then the centre console will **** you off as your left knee keeps getting a knock everytime you change gear. Even worse if there is someone in the back.

Dont buy one, you will really regret it and when selling time comes you'll find the only people that want to buy are under 21 and they cant afford or dont want to pay the mental insurance.

When i eventually got rid of my S plate for (£2850) and bought the scoob do you know how much my insurance went up by...

36 pennies... yip 36 whole pennies a month and i'm 25

Thats just silly.

Rob
Old 30 August 2006, 07:37 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob2006
I had one, breifly....

I dont think they deserve the attension they get.

If your over 5ft 8 then the centre console will **** you off as your left knee keeps getting a knock everytime you change gear. Even worse if there is someone in the back.

Dont buy one, you will really regret it and when selling time comes you'll find the only people that want to buy are under 21 and they cant afford or dont want to pay the mental insurance.

When i eventually got rid of my S plate for (£2850) and bought the scoob do you know how much my insurance went up by...

36 pennies... yip 36 whole pennies a month and i'm 25

Thats just silly.

Rob
Oh dear, thats the first negative comment. Im 5 8" so may not be a problem with my knee.

I will have a good look around them before I buy.

Scott
Old 30 August 2006, 07:47 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Girlfriend has one of these, and I regularly give it a good thrashing, it can see much more powerfull cars off easily especially if you throw a few roundabouts into it, turn in is just amazing.

Only point which lets the car down a bit and does not inspire confidence is the IMO poor braking system as standard, really needs an upgrade.

Interior is OK, for the money this car costs you will struggle to get a better more fun car pound for pound.

Old 30 August 2006, 07:49 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, thats the first negative comment. Im 5 8" so may not be a problem with my knee.

Scott
Im 6 foot 4 and have no problems at all, obviously its a small hot hatch so if you are tall rear passengers may struggle, but in what small car does this not apply (thats fun to drive as well)
Old 30 August 2006, 07:50 PM
mindcontrol
Scooby Newbie

I had a 02 plate vts, which is essentially the same engine, i had the head gasket changed under warranty, the power steering pump changed, not sure if i had a bad one, but it put me off them, i agree about the height issue im 6ft 2 so it was also a bit cramped, and size 11 in shoe, the pedals, seemed to close together.
Old 30 August 2006, 07:51 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mindcontrol
I had a 02 plate vts, which is essentially the same engine, i had the head gasket changed under warranty, the power steering pump changed, not sure if i had a bad one, but it put me off them, i agree about the height issue im 6ft 2 so it was also a bit cramped, and size 11 in shoe, the pedals, seemed to close together.

That is a fair point, but its something yo uget used to quickly
Old 30 August 2006, 11:45 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Well I'm 6' 3" and don't have a problem...
Old 31 August 2006, 03:34 AM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

I used to own one, what a terrific little car. I put some 195's clyclone alloys (0ff 306 GTi-6) on it which added alot more grips but robbed some playfulness.

Watch out for sunroofs as they leak. Badly

Try a rallye aswell legend has it even more fun!
Old 31 August 2006, 11:21 AM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FletchCSL
I used to own one, what a terrific little car. I put some 195's clyclone alloys (0ff 306 GTi-6) on it which added alot more grips but robbed some playfulness.

Watch out for sunroofs as they leak. Badly

Try a rallye aswell legend has it even more fun!
I really do like the S2 Rallye I may keep an eye ot for them.
Old 31 August 2006, 11:46 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

S2 Rallye, V good car, but try finding one. The cherrished ones are way over priced, and the rest hav had a hard life. If you have ever been to the French Car Show, you will know exactly what i mean, thers loads of the things on track.

The D Turbo aint a bad car, but if its a little fun you want, why not look for a 306 Rallye, some regard it as the best hot hatch yet, but even now this car is very under rated, good examples are still to be had for decent money. They are newer than the S2 rallye, there are all 1999 cars, although there are a couple of S plates, mostly T's and a few V's.

Same as a GTI-6, but lighter. 167hp, six speed box, light, nimble, good sharp, steering and lift off oversteer. An absolute hoot to drive i **** you not.

john
Old 31 August 2006, 12:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FletchCSL
I nearly did that myself, but as you say it robs the car of it's playfulness. So I didn't bother in the end. They do look good though with the GTI-6 alloy's on.
Old 31 August 2006, 01:32 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

I've got one and cant reccomend it enough had a few problems but have always been easy fixes and very cheap parts, really enjoyable car to drive I have had mine for 1 1/2 years and have managed to rack up 27,000 miles and only had to replace the front tyres, pads and discs and radiator.
Old 31 August 2006, 03:33 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
S2 Rallye, V good car, but try finding one. The cherrished ones are way over priced, and the rest hav had a hard life. If you have ever been to the French Car Show, you will know exactly what i mean, thers loads of the things on track.

The D Turbo aint a bad car, but if its a little fun you want, why not look for a 306 Rallye, some regard it as the best hot hatch yet, but even now this car is very under rated, good examples are still to be had for decent money. They are newer than the S2 rallye, there are all 1999 cars, although there are a couple of S plates, mostly T's and a few V's.

Same as a GTI-6, but lighter. 167hp, six speed box, light, nimble, good sharp, steering and lift off oversteer. An absolute hoot to drive i **** you not.

john
Yes its some fun I want but with reasonable economy, The GTI-6/Rallye sengine in not the most economical of 2000cc engines. I hear the 106 GTI gives very good fuel economy.

Most of my journy is on the M-Way so maybe the 306 Rallye would be ok but im getting about 550 miles form 60L of diesel to around 350 miles at best from 60L of petrol which is what the Rallye/GTI-6 gets.

I will have about 4000 to spend so anyother cars you can recomend, must be fun and put a smile on my face.

Im even tempted to get another 205 GTI and maybe MI16 it. I hear these can be reliable and are not too bad on fuel.

Scott
Old 31 August 2006, 03:45 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

I use to own a 306 Gti-6 and loved it, did 120+ miles a day and had to sell it with over 120k miles still going strong, so don't be put of by French cars if you enjoy driving. The 6/rallye comes highly recommended and is a better all round car than the little 106, but its want you really want out of the car.

Back to the 106 Gti, mate had one, he moved on to an Evo7 afterwoods, but said the 106 was by far the more enjoyable car. If you can live with the small size, then get one, besides being great fun on the B roads bet you could surprise some big cars on the straights too.

Anyone else anoyed that, in last months best fwd car ever article, Evo Mag chose to use a 106 rallye instead of the 106 Gti? very strange decision. (same as using the Mk1 golf instead of a better mk2 16v! too).
Old 31 August 2006, 03:50 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

my mates just sold his s2 rallye with the 16V engine switch. totaly stripped and its one quick little car.

ran for 1 year doing high miles and never had a spot of bother with it

john
Old 31 August 2006, 04:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one who thinks the brakes are ****e
Old 31 August 2006, 04:04 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Am I the only one who thinks the brakes are ****e
Nope they are utter ****e

Changed to Brembo discs and EBC Pads though which seemed to help alittle but would still class the brakes as ****e at best

Quick Reply: 106 GTI