Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mondeo... ST24 ST200

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2001, 06:36 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Duratecs are nice smooth engine with loads of torque all the way through the rev range...The down side is there isn't much tuning potential. There still nice cars to drive and the fuel consumption is anything up to 34mpg if you take it easy or 25-28 if you've got a heavy right foot. Try this link and ask the guys who have them for their opinions.......

www.fordmondeo.org

Nath

[Edited by 47 NAT - 11/6/2001 6:37:13 PM]
Old 06 November 2001, 12:09 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got any experience (good or bad) with either of these, tuning \ mods available?

Any info appreciated,

Ta, IC
Old 07 November 2001, 07:13 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Swapped the Scoob for a V6 Mondeo. The Mondeo feels slower than it actually is due to it being so smooth. The dual length intake manifold ensures a very flat torque curve and a lusty V6 engine note. I get around 29mpg on my 10 mile mixed run to work, about 34 on a 85mph motorway run and managed 38mpg on a gentle A road run to the coast.
The traction control can be a little over the top and kills too much power rather than bleeding it away although there is plenty of grip and its rarely needed. A Vectra V6 I tried had the traction control working overtime due to the poor levels of grip and its understeering tendancies.
Modifications are going to be limited to an inductin kit and a stainless exhaust (most are twin exit same as ST200) unless you want to spend loads of money.

Cheers
Lee
Old 09 November 2001, 11:05 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

i had a st 24 it was the most expensive car to maintain that i have ever owned and th last straw was a forrester s turbo wooping my ****
Old 09 November 2001, 11:10 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

look under that bonnet and you go errrrrrrr what dose that do any repair starts at £500 any repair such as the water pump impelar breaking causing overheating and warped heads £2300 timing chain tensioners £1500 thats just a snippet and all on a 3 year old car
Old 10 November 2001, 12:15 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, I agree.

The 24V Duretec V6 is designed as a low maintenance enginge. But!!!Any damage at all to the top end and your looking at new heads, valves, cams etc. Any damage to the bottom end and your looking at a new engine, read the Haynes manual if you have any doubts.

On the upside, The ST24 and GhiaX V6 under Ford direct now come with a 2 year Warrenty.

Lee
Old 10 November 2001, 10:06 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I've had most of the Mondeo range, including the ST24 and V6 Ghia X. My best one was the Ghia X IMHO. Trouble with the V6 engine is that it's hard to drive slow, and tends to want to go faster than you want it too.

Overall comfort levels and toys the Ghia X beats the ST24 (that I was dis-appointed with)

Before I bought the MY00, I was waiting on trying the ST200. The dealers let me down a couple of times, so I bought the Scooby!!!!

Another point to make is that the Ford dealer workers look down thier noises at you. Where as the Scooby dealers are brilliant, and talk to you, etc.

I have had numerous Fords including a Mark 2 RS2000 that I'm currently rebuilding, but don't think I buy another Ford again. The Scooby is the first non-ford that I've ever had.

Cheers Phill C

PS I might consider a Focus Cosworth, if it ever happens.