Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

WRX humbled by ****box.

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow WRX humbled by ****box.

I spent much of Saturday doing bit's and bobs to the car, notably harness fitment and seats. The sort of stuff that you think would take half an hour but ends up taking most of the day. Anyway, once finished I took her out, along with a friend for a drive. After 15 mins I approached a roundabout, joined the roundabout and continued round, I noticed to my left a 53 plate WRX in silver joining the roundabout, I noticed that he saw me (all my Nurburgring stickers make my car far from inconspicuous), with that, like a shot he was right up my jacksie. I, at this point was not planning to "race" him.

So, I was in second and pulled off the roundabout onto the dual carriageway, I was in the mood to boot it, so to speak. I did so with the WRX two car lengths behind. As I accelerated up through the gears I noticed the bonnet of the WRX behind lifting and dropping quite heavily as he went through the gears. This turned into a straight drag race......I pulled over to the left lane as I'd passed all traffic, as I did so the WRX decided to stay out in the over taking lane (becasue he'd overtake me right, of course - silly!!). His teeth were grit, his expression stern, his mood serious. Could he get past?? Could he fooock. He sat in the outside lane 2 car lengths behind me, his turbo hissing swishing pissshing and penelope bwwiissshing all the way. I eventually eased off at a spirited level of speed as my junction was fast approaching, he then continued on, I looked over with a rye smile - he however maintained his forward vision, stern and utterly unimpressed that his "supercar killer" just sat side by side with a 10 year old 306 GTi-6 with no other mods other than a de-cat and induction kit, and we both know the latter is purely for sound.

Lesson learned? The fastest car on planet earth still can't get past a 10 year old piece of 4 cylinder clutter with 95k miles on the clock........and we were 2 up.

What a car, what - a - car!!!

Happy to share this with you.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 04 October 2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:43 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Impossible to say why he didn't fly past you - he wasn't driving it properly or power at the wheels was similar for both cars.

I am just glad it was a 53 plate and that this isn't another one of those crap "the bug-eye's are too slow" threads.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:45 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

To give this story some credit.

We took the Clio cup and 306 for a ride along a quiet stretch of road and there is nothing in it......and we all know a Clio Cup is as quick as a new age WRX.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:46 AM
GaryScoobNCBR
Scooby Regular

[quote]I noticed the bonnet of the WRX behind lifting and dropping quite heavily as he went through the gears[quote]

lol thats better vision than spiderman.

I've never seen a standard wrx drop up and down like a 800bhp skyline
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Must be a 'heat soak' issue or got a can of Coke wedged under the loud pedal

Where you running on Optimax, perhaps the WRX was not!

He would have done you on the twisties for sure
Trem
Scooby Regular

the GTI-6's are really quite nippy. My mate had one and it impressed me. Very fast through the gears.

In real life driving I doubt there would be much in it up to 60 or 70.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:48 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trem
the GTI-6's are really quite nippy. My mate had one and it impressed me. Very fast through the gears.

In real life driving I doubt there would be much in it up to 60 or 70.
We were doing a tiny bit more than 60 when I pulled over to the left lane.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:56 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Scoob isn't a good straight line drag racer unmodified. AWD was sapping away his power and you were already traveling at speed so the extra traction was no benefit. All he needs to do though is de-cat, exhaust and remap and he will be leaving you for dead. Impreza's as standard are not super fast, but very good platforms to further modify.

I like GTi-6's and wouldn't describe them as '**** box's' anyway. With the decat and induction kit (adds a few bhp the later) then you must be putting out 185-190bhp? If you've stripped it out for the ring then it's going to have a good power to weight ratio. Great handling car's too. I just don't like the huge turning circle and poor build quality, but cracking cars.
Old 04 October 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
To give this story some credit.

We took the Clio cup and 306 for a ride along a quiet stretch of road and there is nothing in it......and we all know a Clio Cup is as quick as a new age WRX.
Here's a thought.......

WRX is FASTER than a Clio Cup to 0-60, yet it is SLOWER than a Clio Cup 0-100.

Right, myself and "Davyboy" went for a spirited drive the other day on a "private road", He in his Clio Cup, and me in my GTi-6 and had a go at it. Resultant - Pug inched (well centimetered) away upto about 90, Clio then inched it back upto 120, the Pug (probably cos of 6th gear) inched it again - then a stalemate ensued upto the "you're going too fast" part of our speedos. To summarize - **nothing in it**.

With the above said, and looking at the stats I think it's clear here that my GTi-6 is in fact marginally quicker than a WRX in a straight line. Something I never aimed for, but still - satisfying never the less as she only cost me 3 grand.

Here's to getting an 8:50 on the 'ring next week.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:32 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

at the end of the day it was a UK WRX, they are slow, same situation with my Jap STi and i would of chewed you up and spat you out.

been in my mates GTi-6 loads of time, and its not a fast car by any stretch of the imagination.

and my car is over ten yrs old too!
Old 04 October 2005, 10:37 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye

I like GTi-6's and wouldn't describe them as '**** box's' anyway. With the decat and induction kit (adds a few bhp the later) then you must be putting out 185-190bhp?
You think an induction kit and exhaust decat gives a potential 20-25bhp increase? Even Max power magazine don't believe that.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:41 AM
TruthHurts
Scooby Regular

Impossible to say why he didn't fly past you - he wasn't driving it properly or power at the wheels was similar for both cars.

I am just glad it was a 53 plate and that this isn't another one of those crap "the bug-eye's are too slow" threads.
Bug eyes are too slow, same goes for the blob eye although at least they aren't disgustingly, hideously ugly.

Shame this didn't include some twisties though or the scoob would have blown you away though senior. Everyone knows that they are INVINCIBLE in the bendy bits and that Impreza drivers are some of the most skilled on the roads.

Mind you if it had been wet.................................

the scoob owner would most probably have understeered off into the scenery.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:42 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richard_P
You think an induction kit and exhaust decat gives a potential 20-25bhp increase? Even Max power magazine don't believe that.
Thought they kicked out 170'odd standard (maybe it's lower?). I think an exhaust with decat and induction kit could give 15bhp-20bhp on an old car like that yeah. I've seen those sorts of gains on several old skool cars like Astra GSi's etc. I think you'll find that Max Power reckon about 30-40bhp for that lot.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:45 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Thought they kicked out 170'odd standard (maybe it's lower?). I think an exhaust with decat and induction kit could give 15bhp-20bhp on an old car like that yeah. I've seen those sorts of gains on several old skool cars like Astra GSi's etc. I think you'll find that Max Power reckon about 30-40bhp for that lot.
Decat and induction, probably about 4bhp, which in reality equates to FA.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:46 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Talking

more like +5bhp for the decat (if your lucky)

and +0bhp for the induction kit. sometimes even brings the power down!
Old 04 October 2005, 10:47 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I beg to differ about the "twisties". then Pug is somewhat better than standard in the handling realm, and it's light.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:51 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

That can't be right that a full exhaust sytem with decat pipe and induction kit can only give 5bhp. I am just thinking back to a mates Astra GSi that was putting out 171bhp (rolling road) and that is all he had done to it. I thought on new cars you only got minimal gains because they are so well designed to begin with but on the older cars you get a lot more?

Anyway... I stand corrected if your certain. Just that if the GTi-6 were to be putting out around 180bhp then it would make sense why the WRX couldn't pass.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:51 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Rolling road figures
Old 04 October 2005, 10:52 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I would have gone round both of you in my diesel Skoda
Old 04 October 2005, 10:52 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

My car has standard exhaust with a decat. Not a big after market effort.
Old 04 October 2005, 10:54 AM
kammy
Scooby Regular

Why post your point in such an aggressive way? And why here, on Scoobynet?
Far more fair ways to put your point accross. I have never owned, or bummed a Scooby by the way

Well done on your performance by the way
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kammy
Why post your point in such an aggressive way? And why here, on Scoobynet?
Far more fair ways to put your point accross. I have never owned, or bummed a Scooby by the way

Well done on your performance by the way
Wasn't aggressive at all. Smiling is the opposite of aggression.

Ta for compliment!!
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Rolling road figures
Yes I know... but it was a lot quicker than standard so either way it made a big difference on the road. He had before modification figures also and although I can't remember what it was originally - the increase was significant. He pulled away from me in the car I had at the time considerably faster after the mods.
Old 04 October 2005, 11:02 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I would have gone round both of you in my diesel Skoda
Damn you.
Old 04 October 2005, 11:04 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Sub-8'50 BTG would be impressive for a 306. Will you be on trick tyres to do that? I take it you have a fair bit of ring experience then. A friend down the road from did an 8'55 in with a Nova and redtop Astra engine, but with list 1a blue book tyres.
Old 04 October 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwakman
Sub-8'50 BTG would be impressive for a 306. Will you be on trick tyres to do that? I take it you have a fair bit of ring experience then. A friend down the road from did an 8'55 in with a Nova and redtop Astra engine, but with list 1a blue book tyres.
Running on Eagle F1's. Done 50 laps thus far.

Car is standard except stripped and on coilovers (and de-cat/induction but don't tell WRX owners that as they'll **** themselves)
Old 04 October 2005, 11:21 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Proper road tyres then! Nice one. You gone under 9 minutes yet? Do the eagles fold under and scrub the sidewall like they do on the scoob at the front?

Get some video (just remember to hide the camera well).

I'd like to see that car out at some speed events as well. I've just done 2 weekends at North Weald. Just £55 an event, only 45 mins from Cambridge and not a ferry in sight. Cant quite match the elevation changes mind
Old 04 October 2005, 11:24 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwakman
Proper road tyres then! Nice one. You gone under 9 minutes yet? Do the eagles fold under and scrub the sidewall like they do on the scoob at the front?

Get some video (just remember to hide the camera well).

I'd like to see that car out at some speed events as well. I've just done 2 weekends at North Weald. Just £55 an event, only 45 mins from Cambridge and not a ferry in sight. Cant quite match the elevation changes mind
They certainly do, they have quite a soft tyre wall. Good tyre, but gonna get some A048's over winter for next year.

Best lap last trip was a 9:09, car is better now and I will (hopefully) improve so aiming to have a new PB beginning with the number 8.

C'mon!!!!
Old 04 October 2005, 11:32 AM
kwakman
Scooby Regular

Nice! I only got 5 laps in my crapbox old wrx (with eagles) and had to slow for crashes every lap. The lap with only 1 crash was my 4th so only managed 9.07. Shouldnt have gone on the bank holiday weekend track was more shut than open

Sounds like youll bust 9 mins this time. Keep it wheels down on the black bit. Best of luck.
Old 04 October 2005, 11:33 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a few hours driving, a well driven GTI-6 in the wet was a match for my classic with decat and PPP with me driving for the first hour or so until my confidence improved a little (not helped by some wild understeer trying to stick with the GTI-6 early on). Driver ability > 100 BHP difference.

Same goes for my present Scoob vs T-uk - with at least 100 BHP more with an extra half litre displacement but less good suspension I cannot get away from him until the speeds get silly. He is simply a better driver and has a small turbo with very little lag. He makes up lots of time on gearshifts and his car is very balanced.

Quick Reply: WRX humbled by ****box.