Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone running a Transit on Veggie Oil?

Old 02 June 2004, 11:10 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a Transit on Veggie Oil?

Is anyone here running a diesel engine on Vegetable oil? Any problems?
Have been looking at the possibility of converting one of my Transits to see how it goes.
At just 27p a litre fuel duty and plenty of chip shops around my way who will give me their waste oil.....it sounds tempting as opposed to buying mineral diesel for 84p a litre.

Would i save a fortune but smell like a giant Kabab on wheels?

www.dieselveg.com
Old 02 June 2004, 11:34 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Have you had a look at the 'Biodiesel' website?

Using 'used' oil requires a degree of effort in filtering out all of the crap. Apparently, some people have invested considerable time doing this.

The current argument is that it's uneconomical to 'refine' used oils and have to pay the duty. Though if you can do it yourself in your spare time......

J.
Old 02 June 2004, 11:37 AM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

I nkow a few people running toyota surf's from vegetable oil.

not only is it cheaper but it's environmentally friendly as the fuel is carbon neutral (i.e. the co2 produced by the engine was absorbed by the plant initally anyway).

From the research I did when looking at a surf people recommended 60/40 mixes of oil/diesel to account for the cold weather (50/50) in mid winter. Some diesel injectors (bosch?) can cope with the slightly thicker consistency of the mix without any conversions.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get home with and realise there are twenty plus drunken blokes running behind your van.
Old 02 June 2004, 11:57 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think you'll need a fuel heater to thin it out enough to run properly...Or make one by rerouting the fuel lines and heater hoses through an oil to water cooler. Just the cooler will act as a heater rather than a cooler.

I'm not sure if the injection pumps on transits are the most robust pumps to be running off dodgy fuel, they are bad enough on normal diesel.

I've heard Land Rover Defenders run quite well on it though
Old 03 June 2004, 11:18 AM
Clett
Scooby Regular

You need to read this page first: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Then, brush up on your German and check the database of who is already using SVO (straight vegetable oil) in a Transit here. Then ask people on this forum for some advice.

Some cars have a pump that can handle SVO, others can't and need to use biodiesel (a hassle with methanol and sodium hydroxide). Favourites that seem to run fine on 100% SVO are most vauxhalls and mercedes. Older golfs seem to go well too.

Most people try 90% mineral diesel, 10% SVO to start, then keep increasing the amount of SVO. Some cars only run well with not less than 40% mineral diesel. It will be a little harder to start, and maybe a little naily when cold. In the summer, 100% SVO is no problem in a lot of cars, though in the winter it can go very gloopy, hence the need to either (i) dilute it with some petrol/diesel or (ii) use a heated fuel pipe and tank.

Will be amusing to watch the vegetable oil aisles in Tescos et al when the fuel crisis hits later this year!