Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anyone got/had a Golf Mk1 Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2003, 02:13 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally convinced the girlfriend that her T reg Punto (FIAT-Fix It Again Tomorrow, absolutely finished at 55k miles) is a complete heap and have persuaded her that she will look lovely in a Golf Cabrio and good looking men will wave at her and things. (IMHO still looks as classy and classless as it ever did, and anyway I fancy one ).

I have had Mk2 GTi's over the years and have always liked 'em, but have never had experience of a Mk1 Cabbie.

Apart from hoods etc, anything to look out for? For our price bracket (around 3k), a good late injected big bumper should be in range. Or a slightly tatty Rivage maybe?
Old 26 August 2003, 02:20 PM
MrsP1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

The only problem I had with my old one was that some b**tards stole it and I never heard from it again!

Get Fully Comp insurance and make sure that all the doors are locked as my Golf Cab had a tendancy to pop open 3 mins after I walked away from it! lol

Also, keep the roof well oiled as the roof on mine stuck like a bitch.

Na, really, not the best car to drive but like you say, its a timeless classic that will keep its style forever in my eyes!

Show me some pics when you do get one and make sure its not my Stolen one! It was a Black B Reg, Golf Cabrio GTI with Full Karmann Bodykit & Fluffy Dice hanging off the Rear View Mirror! lol

B

Old 29 August 2003, 10:56 AM
tarquin trousers
Scooby Regular

for some reason, this is down as one of my fave cars. It was quite skittish, but great fun (I had the 1.6 Gli) I loved it to bits. Went through a very bad period of damage to it (none of it was my fault...honest)...had a window kicked in, stereo stolen, roof slashed and the alternator packed up. The electrics were a bit dodgy but given it had 130k on the clock it wasn't a bad little car.

How much will you be looking at? i'd be tempted again if it was cheap enough!
Old 29 August 2003, 07:58 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

I had a 1991 Sportline in Red, bought it for 7500 and sold it for 5500 3 years later. Only issue was that the computer went on it, nothing else in 3 years, only did 25K miles in it in 3 years though. No power steering unless its retro fit, I think...I'd have another.

Old 30 August 2003, 01:40 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Did some of the last made not come with PAS from the factory??

A mate of mine got to use the one his dad bought from new, it was an "All-White" Limited edition, white half leather etc... It was based on the 1.8 GTi, but with white interior,hood and grille. Quite a nippy wee car, unpredictable in the wet, reliable too. Its still sitting in his garage at home, not being used. I think they have just had the interior re-done cause it was a little tatty and IIRC a new hood for it.

Very nice looking car, I like MK1's anyway but this one really stands out on the road.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 August 2003, 02:24 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Olly,

Yes be aware there is a common problem with the filler necks to the fuel tanks on MK1s. I bought one for my-ex g/f (a mk1 gti cabbie), it was fine for a year then started playing up. Didn't know what the problem was but water got into the fuel system and wrecked two fuel pumps and a set of injectors, got pretty costly I can tell ya!

Basically the neck sits above the rear wheel arch and crap from the road gets thrown up and overtime it gets corroded. Alot of MK1s I see advertised now often state stainless filler neck, check it out!

Other than that a good car, well I wanted one for years and years then when I bought it, I thought yeah its ok, great on sunny days but they arent as potent as tin top mk1 gti I would go for one of those every time but thats just my take on it.

Gary