Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

WHAT DO YOU ALL THIMK OF EVO6S

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2003, 12:55 PM
vicevo6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I AM JUST ASKING IF ANY OF YOU LOT LIKE EVOS AND PLAESE SAY IF THEY ARE GOOD OR BAD AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THEM
AND JUST LIST IT
OKAT
Old 13 April 2003, 01:22 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Pros :

Very quick relative to most things on the road
Aggressive styling (also put this as a con)
Good alternative to an impreza
Handle well
Fairly cheap to buy
Can be tuned to 350-400bhp
Not many around

Cons:

Interior
Some of the styling
Engine sound
Fuel tank size
Service intervals
Insurance costs
Slower than a classic type RA
Tuning bits are expensive
As there arent many around theres not a big social circle (local club meets etc)
Difficult to find one second hand

Yes I could live with all the cons but I just didnt see it as an upgrade and in some ways a backwards step all IMHO though and it was an E7 I contemplated as I didnt want a thrashed second hand one .

Old 13 April 2003, 01:30 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

[img]http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/images/letters/plusmember.gif
[/img]

I like them, would have bought an Evo but it was too hardcore for me. Plus I need a wagon for all my kit, ski,board etc.
Old 13 April 2003, 02:54 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

I will be looking out for an Evo 6 in the near future, possibly a Makinnen or RSX.

Servicing is not much of a problem if you learn how to change the AYC fluid yourself (this MUST be done) and get yourself a local friendly import garage who know their stuff.
With regards to insurance, as with all high performance cars, just look around for the cheapest quote. I phoned 45 places before finding the lowest.
Parts wise....basically the same as Scoobs, shop around for bits to find, you can source them through Mitsubishi or via the numerous after market supply places listed in magazines and other places.
Mitsubishi do service imports so an import version will not be an issue if you want to maintain a Mitsi service history.
The styling is a personal thing....either way, you are going to get looks of either disgust or lust! I love it and at the same time I don't, but it is so in your face, I think it suits me to a tee.
Small fuel tank is only really an issue if you are doing high mileage and to be honest, if you have a problem with mpg then don't look at the Evo or the scoob!!!
There are not as many Evo's on the road as scoobs, so read that as you wish, some people like to call it exclusivity, others that they are not as popular. I think it was a different market strategy by Mitsubishi.
The engine "seems" to put up with more than a Subaru engine, but I personally think that is definitely down to how it is tuned and serviced. If you look after it, it will serve you well, if not.....bang!
Handling and performance wise I urge you to test drive one. I was very impressed with the versions 5 and 6......that may or may not make your mind up. If you are doing high miles, then you should maybe reconsider your options as the Evo is not a cruising machine.
They can be difficult to find in supreme condition and low miles, as with all performance cars ensure they have a history, watch for tell tale signs of thrashing, you may find that you pay more for an Evo than the same aged scooby equivelant (not including the 22B version).

I love both Scoobs and Evo's, both are completely different cars in terms of personalities and drives. You tend to find that you either like one or the other.
Yeah, I am the difficult and different one, I like both.
I have, however, owned an Impreza for 2 years and driven them for 3, so I feel entitled to my wandering feet towards the dark side for a change of wheels.

Have you had a look over at the Lancer Register?

Hope this helps, I know there are current and ex Evo owners who use this board and will be more than happy to give their views and experiences with the car.

Oh and by the way turn off the caps lock there is no need to shout.

Michelle.
Old 13 April 2003, 03:54 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Chelle her dad owns an E6 now read the post again with that in mind .
Old 13 April 2003, 04:32 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Evos are great except for the engine in standard form.

Cons:
- no front diff on most models
- AYC on GSRs and TMEs (except TME RS, but that's rare)
- too heavy (valid for almost any road car)
Old 13 April 2003, 04:39 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

evo6's are the arab stallions danglies the best at a bargain price

tune one up to 500 bhp u shall slay the mclaren f1 in a quarter mile race
Old 13 April 2003, 04:40 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

sorry and chris is right , the old ra is fast coz its reall light and hardly anything in it, if u want a evo go for a rs or a rs sprint then u shall do the business, gsr's are heavy, more for people who want luxury
Old 13 April 2003, 04:50 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Moses what have you been sniffing!! The Macca F1 puts on 20mph every second from 0 till about 180mph where is starts to slow....slightly!!!!

You'd be off the line first for sure but 500bhp wouldn't stop the macca from coming screaming past before the 1/4 line IMHO.
Old 13 April 2003, 06:10 PM
vicevo6
Scooby Regular

thanks for that
i want some mor information about them
Old 13 April 2003, 06:45 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

lol @ kenny haha did u not know rocket ronnies skyline and simons evo 7 is faster in quarter miles than a mclaren f1 and yeah im sniffing your fanny
Old 13 April 2003, 06:46 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

by the way mate

our very own andy f does a quarter mile in 11.75 secs for a car with less than 380 torque thats fecking amazing and he is only 0.5 secs slower than a f1
Old 13 April 2003, 08:15 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Wink

6.1 litre v12 with 24 carat gold engine lining, 627bhp thru a 6 speed box and full carbon composite monocoque 1140kgs, ground-plane sheer suspension, 0-60 in 3.2, 0-100 in 6.3 and measured top speed of 240.14mph.

Old 13 April 2003, 09:51 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

chris u aint seen the beasts from the east have u

u seen that top secret skyline it does 0 to 205 mph 11 secs faster than the mclaren

and simons evo and ronnies skyline do a faster quarter mile than the offical time of the mclarens

and not just that the reylands cossie i think that does it too
Old 13 April 2003, 11:06 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

Si Norris's Evo is doing 0-60 in 2.85secs, so that is quicker than a McLaren F1 by a fair bit, and that is with it running low boost! He only spent Ł70,000 on it aswell which is a shed load cheaper than a F1. You will turn many more heads with a F1 though.............
Old 13 April 2003, 11:47 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Wink

Vicevo6,

I've owned both a Scooby STi1 and an EVO6 and they are very different cars in the way the put the power down and drive. The EVO is very manic and I didn't like the AYC interfering with the handling, I found it a little intrusive and unnatural.

I know own a tuned Intergra Type R and I can honestly say it's the best drivers car I've had (the intergrale came a close second)... It's pure preference though.
Old 14 April 2003, 12:17 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

andy f does a quarter mile in 11.75 secs for a car with less than 380 torque
Yeah but have you seen the way he drive the thing I seriously doubt the macca's official time is what it is really able to do. Its acceleration is mind boggling!!! Granted the Noris Evo, some skylines, etc will match or perhaps beat it over a 1/4 mile but I doubt 500 horses would be enough and if the measure was greater than a 1/4 mile it would be a different story
Old 14 April 2003, 10:03 AM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

LOL@Chris.....just check out the time I was posting, it was late for me and I had had a long day. (9 hours ahead of you guys )
Old 14 April 2003, 10:11 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

More info here: www.lancerregister.com
Old 14 April 2003, 10:26 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

cheers sparky and kenny but andy rules doesnt he he has the oldest scooby their and still pi55es on everything except the jun skyline but he slayed everyone else
Old 14 April 2003, 04:06 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

LOL@Chris.....just check out the time I was posting, it was late for me and I had had a long day. (9 hours ahead of you guys )
ROFL it would have taken me 9 hours to type that lot in . Nice to see you posting in UK time now though .